Census Do you believe in the bible?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Team Padme, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Do you believe in the bible?

Yes 25 vote(s) 35.7%
No 41 vote(s) 58.6%
Undecided 4 vote(s) 5.7%
  1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    What bits do you prefer, the human trafficking, the slavery, the submission of women..?
    Bender666 likes this.
  2. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
  3. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
    http://ncse.com/rncse/29/5/yes-noahs-flood-may-have-happened-not-over-whole-earth

There was a flood that wiped out large swath of land between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers in present day Iraq. This flood killed a LOT people and because of its notoriety, wound up being the basis for the flood tales found in the bible, the qu'ran, and the Epic of Gilgamesh.
  4. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I really don't understand taking the Bible as some sort of secular moral guide. If anything, it's at least 2,000 years out of date, and despite what some people claim the character of Jesus wasn't particularly revolutionary as far as religious figures go. Going to the Bible for morals is like going to the JCC for relationship advice*: it's long, mostly irrelevant, and some misogynistic, racist creep derails the whole thing with a historical narrative he pulled out of his ass.

*or for anything, I guess
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Jan 27, 2013
  5. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Sorry. My snarkiness wasn't all that clear I guess.

I'm not saying that the Bible is perfect or even good or whatever. I mean, it's a collection of ancient myths and letters. That's just...what it is. But I think it's silly to act like a collection of ancient myths and letters can somehow be horrible or evil or deplorable, especially when significant parts of that collection of myths and letters includes valuable moral direction. It's not the be all end all. It's not amazing or revolutionary or whatever. There's some crazy **** in it. Its no original. But there's also some good stuff. And some inspiring stuff. Which is about what I would expect from a collection of ancient myths and letters dealing with metaphysical angst, the human condition, and a supposed messiah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    It is an interesting piece of historical literature.
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    But boring. There should be a version that's written more like The Silmarillion. Not so much family trees, people's ages and how many children they had, take out the laws and codes and how wide a temple should be. The most important events and life-stories could have their own chapters. Make Jesus' story one big story that includes all instead of four that have same stuff. That way more curious people would read it.
  8. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The Emperor should convene another council!
  9. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Yeah, there was a poor editor at work, that's true.
  10. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I believe I've read better fanfic.
  11. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't believe in anything that doesn't cite its sources properly.
    Darth Guy, NYCitygurl and RC-1991 like this.
  12. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Isn't the Book of Mormon basically a fanfic of the Bible?
  13. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    'No' is winning? Interesting.
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I believe in it. Until the Silmarillion was published, it was the world's worst work of fantasy literature.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm so glad there's an 'undecided' option.

But as a Catholic, nah, I don't really believe in the Bible. We've got the Pope, what else do you need? :p
    Last edited by Sauntaero, Jan 27, 2013
  16. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, and 2 Timothy 3 is worth mentioning......

But understand this, that in the last days will come (set in) perilous times of great stress and trouble [hard to deal with and hard to bear].
    2 For people will be lovers of self and [utterly] self-centered, lovers of money and aroused by an inordinate [greedy] desire for wealth, proud and arrogant and contemptuous boasters. They will be abusive (blasphemous, scoffing), disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy and profane.
    3 [They will be] without natural [human] affection (callous and inhuman), relentless (admitting of no truce or appeasement); [they will be] slanderers (false accusers, troublemakers), intemperate and loose in morals and conduct, uncontrolled and fierce, haters of good.
    4 [They will be] treacherous [betrayers], rash, [and] inflated with self-conceit. [They will be] lovers of sensual pleasures and vain amusements more than and rather than lovers of God.......
    you have had a knowledge of and been acquainted with the sacred Writings, which are able to instruct you and give you the understanding for salvation which comes through faith in Christ Jesus [through the leaning of the entire human personality on God in Christ Jesus in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness].
    16 Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action),
    17 So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    Last edited by Blue_Jedi33, Jan 27, 2013
  17. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Trying to flame people here using the bible is pathetic, blue jedi
  18. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
  19. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    liked for the saint paul reference
  20. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Hooray. I was so disheartened that there were only 3-5 threads dedicated to "LOL @ teh retarted crissjuns" on the first page of JCC this week. This certainly warms my heart by filling that absence of variety.

I absolutely believe in (and) the Bible. For what it was actually written to accomplish in people's lives as opposed to what later sects' agendas turned it into. Moses and his redactors & editors wrote a roadmap for spiritually-minded people, not a guillotine for public executions.
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Jan 27, 2013
  22. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    I can go along with that. Somebody needs to bring the papacy to heel and command them to reinstitute Latin at mass.
  23. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Like others have said, yes, I believe the bible exists. No, I don't believe in any of the crap in it.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Greek gods are more fun and they have a great bestiary.
  25. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    bleh, greek gods. Talos will smite them.