main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

do you believe in the Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jabba-the-Fat-Butt, Apr 10, 2002.

?

do you believe in the Force?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. yes!

53.1%
  2. no!

30.5%
  3. agnostic (it may exist, but i don't want to say anything definite yet)

14.1%
  4. who cares?

2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-the-Fat-Butt

Jabba-the-Fat-Butt Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2002
  2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    No, if the force was real, I would never have to get off the sofa because the remote is just out of reach again! :p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

3. Lahne_Pryok

Lahne_Pryok Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    If people could use the Force, I think that it would be satanic. Regardless of whether or not, they used it for good or evil. That is messing with something we are not supposed to mess with.
    Just some thoughts.

Later...

4. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    No.

What they said.

5. Wesmin7

Wesmin7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2001
    personally: no

In the star wars universe: yes

6. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Since all of Star Wars came from someones imagination I would have to say no.

7. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    No, but sometimes I wish it did because I am really lazy. 8-}

8. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    It's stupid, but I actually believe the Force excists, I sometimes myself try *TRY* to use it.....

9. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i voted Yes

every person gives off and recieves energy - that is a fact, your body is bound together by it...

persons who are trained, or self-trained, to control the energy that they possess know/s that in fact The Force does exist. of course, it is not necessarily called "The Force," but rather, it may be called Faith, Kundalini, intent or will...

the Tao is essentially the Force - it is that which permeates the universe... Chi, or vital energy, is the Force. everything contains Chi, and it can be manipulated. Taoists can mentally alter their own heart rhythms, body temperatures, and how often they breathe, or don't breathe as the case may be, if they want to, and they do this with their will and intent.

why aren't they blowing up things with their ability to manipulate Cosmic Energy? it serves no purpose.

controlling Chi/Vital Energy takes practice, however, and it takes a willingness to learn and understand the ancient systems of "foreign" cultures to even begin - unfortunately much of our culture as been indoctrinated with a belief that anything "different" is a product of "Satan," as a previous poll taker exemplified.

just because you cannot do it does not mean that it does not exist... it starts with an extension of your belief systems, to grasp the unlikely, to open up to the possibility.

10. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    i also voted yes... i think Kerr_Plunk's post sums it up quite well. and anybody who thinks the idea of the force came from george lucas' imagination really needs to read a few books. ;)

11. trekkie09

trekkie09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2002
    ONE WORD FOR THIS TOPIC AND ANYONE WHO SAID YES Or I DON'T KNOW:

Idiot.

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    trekkie09: People with different thoughts and opinions than yourself are not necessarily idiots. Cool it, or you'll risk a 24 hour banning.

13. trekkie09

trekkie09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2002
    SOWY! But that's... never mind.

14. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    You know those sort of gut feelings or instincts that you get - I call that The Force so i said Yes.

;) :D

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes, definitely. What Kerr_Plunk said.

16. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    LOL

The 'Force' came from GL's brain from a variety of different sources, all combined to form the concept of the Force. It is make believe folks, make believe. Please don't take the SW films too seriously, they are after all, films made my people.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Very well said, Dolphin.

19. Edhel

Edhel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I don't believe in the Force (as such) but I keep an open mind about things we don't understand, such as energy that could be tapped into, so I voted agnostic.

20. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    okay, anybody who thinks that the concept of the force is an original idea from george lucas could really benefit from a little cultural perspective. lucas has said himself that the concept was borrowed primarily from Eastern religions. now, i know that in our Western materialistic culture it is hard to take such things seriously, but the concept is called monism (the belief in a unifying force that permeates and envelops everything in existence) and it has thousands of years of history and (believe it or not) millions of followers.

there are almost a billion Hindus on this planet who believe in the force. they call the force brahman as it exists in the universe, and in every object (the tree, the rock...), and they call the force Atman as it exists within every individual (whether they choose to acknowledge it or not). there are also Hindu masters, called Yogis, who are able to quiet their minds and achieve a state of deep meditation and higher consciousness... in these states, they are able to use the force to do incredible things, like control their heart beat and levitate. now, you might doubt the validity of these people but there have been many scientific studies done to validate their claims.

anyway, is any of this sounding familiar?

21. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    well said, Deltron!

and you didn't resort to name calling!

edit: on further thought, Dolphin...
    i happen to be a person who sees the Force in a religious aspect. I happen to believe that all things are permeated by it. if i choose to call it the Force it is no different than anyone else who has applied a name to their religion.

how can you tell someone not to take their religion seriously? you apparently takes yours that way.

yes, Star Wars was a film made by people - the Bible, which you are apparently fond of, was a book written by people, too, and unless you can post proof to the contrary, i humbly suggest that you refrain from insinuating that outside of your chosen religion nothing else can be taken seriously...

a mind is more difficult to Force open than it is to slam shut

~Kerr_Plunk, a college educated Idiot! ;)

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    wow

The Force, as GL, has created it is not the result of one religion. I could understand if GL based the Force only off the Holy Spirit but He hasn't. The Force is composed of many things(genetics, Buddhism, Christianity, probably Shintoism, etc). The Force is unique.

how can you tell someone not to take their religion seriously?

What religion? Are you saying that belief in the Force(as GL has created it) is a religion now? I wouldn't be too surprised. I cannot wait until you all are 25 or 30, maybe cooler heads will prevail by then.

was a book written by people, too

I cannot make you believe anything, only God can.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    27 with a degree in religious studies, and trust me my head is quite cool :cool: :D

24. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    Dolphin wrote:
    "What religion? Are you saying that belief in the Force(as GL has created it) is a religion now? I wouldn't be too surprised. I cannot wait until you all are 25 or 30, maybe cooler heads will prevail by then."

:D
    i'll be 32 in July... but it's somehow reassuring to know that you don't do any research before you make comments... it gives me a better perspective on where you are coming from... and i'm not too surprised that you might be defensive about what religion is or can be, or that you would try to devalue, question, or discredit anothers religious concept...

Yes, i said that the Force is a religion now, and has been for thousands of years - although it has been called many things... as you, yourself, pointed out...

Dolphin said:
    "The Force is composed of many things(genetics, Buddhism, Christianity, probably Shintoism, etc). The Force is unique."

just like Christianity is a "unique" form of monotheism

~Kerr_Plunk, a cool headed, 31 year old, college educated Idiot

note to mod's: i am leaving this thread. i understand that it's a moot point to argue theology

25. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    "Kid, I've flown from one side of the galaxy to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff. But, I've never seen anything to make me believe there's some all powerful Force controlling... everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

"It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.