main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe the world will end in 2012 when the Mayan calendar ends?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Do you believe the world will end in 2012 when the Mayan calendar ends?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2012.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

90.7%
  3. I'm not sure

9.3%
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Surely the only answer to this question is 'Not sure'? After all, we can't rule it out... just like we can't rule out the world ending tomorrow for some reason.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Absolutely. Also...
    'Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.[37] "For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday event or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."[37] "There will be another cycle," says E. Wyllys Andrews V, director of the Tulane University Middle American Research Institute (MARI). "We know the Maya thought there was one before this, and that implies they were comfortable with the idea of another one after this."[38]' LINK

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Nope. Not gonna happen.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    I'm 'not sure' my toenails will grow, but I'm pretty sure they will...

5. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
  6. AmiraMalicious

AmiraMalicious Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2011
    No, because there has been far too many predictions that have been wrong thus far. The Mayans just did not create calenders seeing as they were carving them into stone, eventually they had to stop; the ones who claimed the world would end when the Mayans had "predicted" it were not even the Mayans themselves. They did not have much information about our Earth let alone the universe and didn't even account for leap years meaning we have already passed that "apocalyptic" date. The Mayans didn't even foresee that the Spanish would cross the Atlantic.

7. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Nope i don't put stock in that.

8. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    The Mayan calendar did not account for leap year...There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 45BC...Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013...So if you put faith in "Mayan calendar" The world should have ended 7 months ago!

9. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    The World will end when the Omnipotent Lord says it will end.