Do you bother to read a topic before posting a reply?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mastadge, Aug 10, 2005.

?

Do you bother to read a topic before posting a reply?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
I read the whole thread before I reply. 17 vote(s) 17.2%
I read a couple posts in a thread, but don't waste my time reading the whole thing. 60 vote(s) 60.6%
I only read the first post in the thread before replying. 2 vote(s) 2.0%
I don't read any of the thread; I just reply to the thread title. 1 vote(s) 1.0%
I haven't read the other options and I don't know what this poll is about, but I'm answering anyway. 5 vote(s) 5.1%
Anakin. 14 vote(s) 14.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Simple enough. Especially in JCC but sometimes elsewhere, it seems pretty apparent that people respond to the thread having read the topic line but not the actual post itself. I'm wondering, do you do that, or do you actually read at least the original post before you reply?
  2. imperial_dork Manager Emeritus

star 6
    A little from column 'A', a little from column 'B'.

If the thread is less than 10 pages, I'll usually read the whole thing before replying. If it's a monster of a thread, I usually go back several pages to get an idea of what's been covered first.

edit: Regardless of length, I'll always read the first post.
  3. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I read a couple posts in a thread, but don't waste my time reading the whole thing.

That's closest, although at least half the time i read the whole thread.
  4. JediSara Force Ghost

star 5
    Anakin.

I mean I read a couple posts in a thread, but don't waste my time reading the whole thing.
  5. Darth-Lutgerous Force Ghost

star 4
    I read a couple of posts in a thread, but hardly ever the whole thing. Some are just too long.
  6. green-boy Jedi Master

star 4
    I read a couple first.
  7. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I read a few posts, then reply.
  8. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I try to read the whole thread before replying.
  9. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I always try to read the whole thing. Otherwise, why participate? You're doing more harm than good and possibly preventing a good discussion.
    If a thread is more than 2 pages (I have my settings at 50 per page) I usually see that as the conversation is going and it's a bit late. Unless, I really want to participate or can participate in it easily.
    If a thread is more than 4 pages, I usually rule it out entirely unless I see a point to participate.
    Gargantuan threads I typically don't even read. Too time consuming, it's usually taken on a life of its own that I won't understand, and meh.
    If it's a big one, but mostly swamped with fluff replies (like posts made in a review thread), I'll read the first three pages or so, then skip the small replies and stick with the longer replies or replies from people I know and like. But we're talking in the area of 10 pages.
  10. Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I voted Anakin... simply because there was not an option for all of the above, or something similar. Sometimes by the title of the thread, it can be easily to come up with an opinion or reply.
  11. Cloned_Sidious Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I read a couple posts in a thread, but don't waste my time reading the whole thing.

That is close enough.
  12. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Unless the topic is more than 10 or so pages I read the entire thing.
  13. EmperorSorridom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I usually read the entire thread, unless it's extremely long.
  14. DarthMorsus Jedi Knight

star 1
    I ususally read the first post, and then the last 8 or so, to get the idea of what it was originally about, and what people are talking about "now".

Of course, if the thread is short enough, I read the entire thing. But if it is way too long, I'm not going to read all of it.
  15. Chewbacca-girl Force Ghost

star 4
  16. Ruler_of_the_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  17. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Most of the time I just read the last few replies, unless I sense trouble! :D
  18. SmoovBillyDee Jedi Master

star 4
    If the thread is REALLY long, there's no way I'm gonna bother to read the whole thing.
  19. Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Master

star 4
  20. jedijoker Force Ghost

star 7
    I read a couple posts in a thread, but don't waste my time reading the whole thing
  21. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I picked the second one because I read the first post and some other posts and generally skim. However, there are some threads where I will read the whole thing.
  22. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    I'll read the first page of the posts and then I'll reply.
  23. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    It depends. Often, I will read the entire thread through. Occasionally, I will read the first few pages and the last few. And there are also times when I only read the first post and respond. I don't think I've ever just gone by thread title or anything, though...
  24. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    When I made my first saber, I started with... oops wrong thread!

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dear Anakin, as you know I read a couple posts in a thread, but don't waste my time reading the whole thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.