main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you Consider Anakin Being placed inside the Darth Vader Suit an Iconic Star Wars Moment?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 19, 2013.

1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I Do I know a lot of OT Lovers criticise the PT But I think even they have to agree that it was an iconic moment at least it was for me, I remember when he says Padme's name and that feeling a bit weird at first but I liked the scene overall. I think it was Great to see him walk across the pathway with the suit as he and palpatine/emperor looked at the Death Star under constructing with arms crossed, it was Iconic for Me anyway.

2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    That scene is sorta contrived for me, though I do love it as an homage to Shelley's Frankenstein (one of my favorite stories).

VanishingReality and V-2 like this.
  3. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    It was very cool. Kind of disappointed there is so little Vader (suit Vader, not angry Ani). I was stoked to see a Stardestroyer bridge complete w/Imperial officers and friggin' Tarkin there. Look at the way Tarkin dismisses himself in disgust when Vader approaches. Yes, definitely an homage to Frankenstein throughout the whole Vader reveal. All we needed is Palps to holler "it's alive! It's alive!!!"

Lady_Misty, kainee, Frank T. and 2 others like this.
  4. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Anakin being put into the Vader suit is truly an iconic moment for me. It was wonderful. I think it was one of the best scenes in ROTS.

Andy Wylde, CoolyFett, Psmoke and 3 others like this.
  5. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Agreed! and just to add, Frankenstein is considered the first ever science fiction stories. Very appropriate to wave in that direction at the center of the saga.

So, is the scene of Anakin being put inside the suit iconic? Of course it is! Why would it not be?

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't remember ever seeing such a scene in the PT.

However, I certainly consider it to be iconic when Darth Vader is placed inside the life support suit.

9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, i remember seeing it for the fisrt time in the big screen back in 2005. It was mind blowing.

Andy Wylde, CoolyFett, kainee and 2 others like this.
  10. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Biggest moment in the saga to me.

CoolyFett and kainee like this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I like your take, but "Frankenstein" is only one starting point for science-fiction. Some trace its origins much farther back through recorded history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_fiction

This part also fascinated me just now:

Might Star Wars, then, be considered apocalyptic science-fiction?

Hint: look where it ends up in "production order".

Note also that John, the purported author of Revelation, had this vision as part of an "End Of Days" scenario. There are six Star Wars films (depicting the "tragedy" of Darth Vader). It took the creator god of Genesis six days to create the heavens and the earth. He rested on the seventh. ;)

Always more to learn and transfigure endlessly... :-B[face_peace]

Sarge likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It was honestly a little weird to hear "Where is Padme? Is she alright?" in James Earl Jones' voice.

But the breaking-**** tantrum he threw afterwards was iconic.

Andy Wylde and kainee like this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not iconic at all to me. It's a little too overdone (mostly the sound, but the camerawork and the way the table rises as well), NOOOOOOOOOOOOO just makes it silly and the whole thing only serves to remind me of how terribly unworthy of the suit Anakin is.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    That's an interesting perspective, but for my money, there is no science fiction in a pre-industrial world.

16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It was a significant moment, made better by the classic sound effect from The Empire Strikes Back, but too quick, and a slight wasted opportunity (buttons on his suit should have been pushed to activate it or something.) I don't get the frustration with Anakin's first steps, as if people couldn't see suited Vader doing something other than being instantly super awesome ruthlessness, and the "No!" didn't bother me more than the scene just being too short.

kainee and V-2 like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Disagree. I recently read Ariosto's Orlando Furioso, written in the 16th century, which included a knight errant's trip to the moon.

18. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    Science Fiction is the conscientious mythology of technological advancement the likes of which did not exist until the industrial revolution. Unless Sir Orlando made his journey in a rocket ship, there's nothing science-fictitious about that story.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What about Jules Verne?

20. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Frankenstein was written before Verne was born. It was published in 1818 - can you believe it?

While there are certainly other precursors to science fiction, Frankenstein is traditionally referred to as the first piece of true science fiction. It speculates about technology's effect on the body and society, and asks the question, "What is human?"

If you go back to it now, you'll find that it's still very relevant. Shelley began writing it when she was 19 years old!!

That being said, trying to pinpoint the "1st" of anything (especially anything artistic) is often a fruitless task. Let's call it a benchmark, and an extremely important work of fiction.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I do remember that discussion of Mary Shelley from grad school.

I was thinking of Darth Eddie's statement about no sci-fi before the industrial revolution; I would definitely consider Verne to be sci-fi and I thought the industrial revolution didn't start until the 1890s.

22. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Oh, I see what you were saying now.

I think it's generally said to have started in the 1750-1775 range.

I do have to agree that what we consider to be "science fiction" sprang from the industrial revolution (though this is not a hard and fast rule - of course there were precursors).

Darth Eddie likes this.
  23. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I hated the "Where is Padme? / Nooooo!" scene.

24. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Made me actually care about suited Vader, so yeah, iconic.