main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you Consider the Deleted Scenes From the prequels Canon?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AussieViking, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    A film is a film. It has an intended structure, pacing, etc... Things are not edited at random.

The extended editions of TLOTR were something made exclusively for the fans. Peter Jackson's cuts are the theatrical editions.

Blade Of Kenobi likes this.
  2. Blade Of Kenobi

Blade Of Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, sometimes editors can be a bit overzealous; sometimes scenes that are essential to a character's development end up on the cutting room floor due to time constraints, but I get your point. I hope we are afforded the same treatment as LOTR fans someday.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not all the editors fault. Directors are the ones who call the shots unless they receive a studio mandate. Ridley Scott considers the films that he signs off on as the director's cut and while he acknowledges that fans want to see more with "Alien" and "Blade Runner", and even participated in other edits of those films, he still prefers the original edit. Whereas a film like "Highlander II", the director was forced out by the studio and financial backers, who edited the film into a complete mess. Only later on did Russel Mulchay get the opportunity to edit the film to his satisfaction, with an additional alteration of the story to make it more pleasing to the fans.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But there's a story to tell, and there are scenes that are important to the story and structure of the film and others which take away from it or dilute it.

I remember an old rumor that TPM had over 6 hours of recorded footage.

I don't think we'll ever get an extended cut of the films, the same way we don't get the theatrical versions. George is (fortunately) protective of his works and wants the people to see the versions that represent his intent, as opposed to them being one version among many that are up for grabs.

For Alien and Gladiator, yes. The theatrical cuts are his 'director's cuts'. But for Blade Runner, only the 'The Final Cut' represents Scott's intent. He never had complete control over the others versions.

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    No scene that is deleted can be considered important.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, it can.

7. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    By whom? The author doesn't consider it important enough to the story for the audience to be told it if they take it out.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Something can be important and at the same time not be important enough for a specific purpose.

9. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

The purpose is to tell the story. If it's not in the film, it's not important to the story that's being told.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Not quite. Leia only kisses Luke to make Han jealous, but Luke sure looks pretty smug and satisfied about it.

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Because pacing and length are very important parts of a film which need to be in perfect balance for a film to be a captivating experience all the way through. The four-hour long LOTR extended editions are bizarrely paced and stretch on interminably. I'm sure you disagree, but there's a reason two-and-a-quarter hours was adopted as the standard for film length. There are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part that's the exact length where you don't feel cheated but you also don't get antsy or start pining for the restroom.

Lucas understands this. He's his own most ruthless editor.

12. Blade Of Kenobi

Blade Of Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, the more Star Wars, the merrier in my opinion. I understand that pacing is important, but I disagree with length being that important in a home video release. Some films are so captivating that they feel short and leave you wanting more, even though they're the standard length.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    TLOTR Extended Editions are the only versions I watch. They are superior to the theatrical cuts, imo. Likewise for the BvS, 3 hour Ultimate Edition. These cuts add immensely to the plot and overall enjoyment of the films. At least to me.

It would be great to have the option of watching RotS, for example, with the deleted scenes added back in. For SW films though, I am happy with the cuts we have and some of the deleted scenes are not that crucial, unlike the other films I mentioned.

And, yes, I consider many of the deleted scenes from the PT to be canon.

14. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    A number of the scenes are cannon, due to being in the novelization.

15. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I'll give you my take, which is based on my working definition of "canon".

As far as I'm concerned, canon means one thing and one thing only: it's a story element that the creative teams have made a commitment not to contradict in future stories. Non-canon material is stuff that the creative teams don't feel beholden to. I consider that definition to be useful and specific, so I stick to it.

If you want to say that something is canon for now but the creators might feel free to change it in the future if they want to ... I just don't see any value in slapping the "canon" label on stuff like that. All that could possibly mean is "feel free to consider it true unless there's a reason to believe otherwise." Ok, fine, but frankly you could say exactly the same thing about all sorts of Legends material. Until we're told otherwise, what's really stopping you (other than good taste and sense) from believing that Thracken Sal-Solo is an actual historical figure in this GFFA?

So ask yourself: if one of the creators had an idea for a story element that the creative team thought was cool, and then someone pointed out that it contradicted a deleted scene from, say, AOTC ... what would happen? I think that they would go ahead with the new idea and, ya know, to heck with the deleted scene. I seriously doubt the creative teams feel obligated to adhere to stuff cut from the theatrical releases. Therefore, I don't think there's any meaningful sense in which those deleted scenes should be considered canon.

TL;DR
    "It's canon unless we contradict it" is a value-less statement, in my opinion. "We reserve the right to contradict it" = "Not canon".

16. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I see all the deleted scenes in the prequels (and the other Star Wars films) as canon provided they don't contradict the film.
    I really wish the Rebel Alliance subplot was kept in ROTS.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I like when Anakin and Padme visit her family so yes I consider that scene canon. Its a nice important moment for them. Even the scene when she is in her room telling him about some of the work she has done is nice. Its just more of them spending time together and it leads to the first kiss better for me.

18. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Most of them yes, I especially love the scenes with Padme's family, and the birth of the Rebellion.
    I understand why they were cut, but they are still wonderful contributions to the saga.

19. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I actually kind of do consider them canon, especially for Attack of the Clones.

It still floors me that they left in all the cringe filled romantic awkwardness, but cut out all the scenes with Padme's family and home life that made her feel like more of a human being and had her and Anakin interact at least somewhat more naturally.

20. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I don't consider all the deleted scenes cannon, but I definitely consider some of them cannon. I honestly wish a few of them would have been left in the movies especially:
    TPM: The part where Qui-Gon destroyed the probe, which I think would've helped to explain why Qui-Gon and Anakin are running to the Nubian ship. I also would've liked to see Anakin's fight with Greedo.
    AOTC: The scenes with Padme's family are awesome and really helps to develop both Padme and Anakin's characters, and those are the scenes I think I would've most like to see remain in the movie. I also like Anakin and Padme's extended arrival on Naboo.
    ROTS: The political scenes with Padme and the other senators.

21. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I don't consider all the deleted scenes cannon, but I definitely consider some of them cannon. I honestly wish a few of them would have been left in the movies especially:
    TPM: The part where Qui-Gon destroyed the probe, which I think would've helped to explain why Qui-Gon and Anakin are running to the Nubian ship. I also would've liked to see Anakin's fight with Greedo.
    AOTC: The scenes with Padme's family are awesome and really helps to develop both Padme and Anakin's characters, and those are the scenes I think I would've most like to see remain in the movie. I also like Anakin and Padme's extended arrival on Naboo.
    ROTS: The political scenes with Padme and the other senators.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Because Anakin and Padme falling love is kind of really essential to the story. Padme's home life isn't.

23. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Honestly, I felt their relationship came across more naturally in the family scenes than in the lovey dovey cringey scenes. Those felt fake and forced. The deleted scenes felt like they were actually getting to know each other and at least somewhat connecting.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I disagree. What's more, the scenes of Anakin and Padme falling in love on a balcony among greenery and flowers with a beautiful lake as a backdrop; in a lush green meadow in front of giant roaring waterfalls; over a romantic sunset dinner; and in a dark room lit only by a hot crackling fire; are all much more evocative and visually enthralling than scenes of Anakin and Padme hanging around a house.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I feel the Padme family scenes just drag too long. Those characters are only in that one scene, and feel irrelevant to the larger story arc. It doesn't push forward Anakin and Padme's relationship much, and just delays the inevitable arrival at the Lake Country. It also feels disposable, in a way that the other love scenes don't.