main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you Consider the Deleted Scenes From the prequels Canon?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AussieViking, Nov 3, 2017.

1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    BVS is a little different. Executive meddling is what ruined the original cut, similarly with JLA.

Alexrd and KamenSentaiMetalHero like this.
  2. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Well it emphasizes, and more by showing than just telling, how much Padme has sacrificed due to being so devoted to politics and how she's starting to realize that and wish she had a personal-romantic relationship.

3. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    Though very unlikely, I would like if Special Editions of the prequels were released in 2019 because of the 20th anniversary of TPM, with most of the deleted scenes added back in

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    They are canon to me. Cmon. It's Luke and Leia's grandparents in the padme's family scene.

And seeds of rebellion from ROTS. And the waterfall scene! I want them included in the films. Give me super cuts.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe it’s dull, but I don’t consider anything Canon unless stated by Lucasfilm. I still speculate though

6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I would think that all of the Rebel Alliance scenes in ROTS would be canon. Those are great.

Also, I believe that one of the AOTC deleted scenes are implied to be canon. Obi-Wan says about the Kamino dart, “I wonder why it didn’t show up in the analysis archives,” referencing the deleted scene of him giving the dart to the Jedi Temple droid.

7. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I want the Obi-wan and Padme scene from ROTS.

I loved that scene in the novel. In Matt stover's brilliant novel, I might add

Deliveranze and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I know when Lucas owned the property, the deleted scenes were officially canon as long as they didn't contradict the movie proper.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No, George cut them for a reason even if I personally like them.

10. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm content that the 'Seeds of Rebellion' deleted scenes with Padme in ROTS are canonized. They are part of her SW Databank on the official SW site and they were explicitly mentioned in a canon SW guide/picture book (I dont remember which).

11. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    He cut them for a reason, yes, but not necessarily because he didn't want something to be canon. I'd wager to say say that most -- or at least a lot -- of the (basically finished) deleted scenes were cut because of creative decisions, meaning that they didn't progress the story the way Lucas wanted them to. The prime example being the one about the Kamino dart ...

It's enough to just have Kenobi state that he was at the archives. The entire scene of him being at the archives then becomes redundant.

But all in all, I will say that most of the scenes were in fact left out for good reason. That said, I love the extra Anakin & Padme scenes in Episode II and the Rebellion ones in Episode III. Those are the ones that I really think could have been in the movie because they don't really contradict anything and give the characters extra depth.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Agree on the rebellion scenes. At the end of the day though, it's not my call. No one knows what SW needs better than GL.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Alienware likes this.
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    This and the one where Vader stabs Shaak Ti are the only two deleted scenes I'd love to see. Also, maybe the scene where Bail actually fires his blaster at the clones while escaping the Temple.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    They both Add to the love story. Anakin in an environment he's never been in and possibly loves. He's in a situation were he can feel somewhat comfortable and when he pours his heart out to Padme That scene is given more context and concrete value since we see what brought him to pour himself out.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Even the small things about the deleted family scenes are great: R2 in the alley with the kids, and the shot where Padme and her sister are looking out the window at Anakin and their dad walking in the yard. Star Wars with some Jane Austen flourishes. Amazing.

jimkenobi and CIS Droid like this.
  16. jimkenobi

jimkenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2014
    R2 in the alley with the kids is my favorite SW thing that's not actually in the six films, full stop. Beautiful!

ezekiel22x likes this.
  17. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    The scene where Yoda arrives on Degobah is most definetely canon for me - and why the hell did they leave that scene out ??????
    Crazy

18. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    It caused the movie to drag and Lucas wanted to focus on the connection between the twins and the parents. I would have gone a step further and cut out both Padme's funeral and Leia's arrival on Alderaan. And I would have drawn out Luke's arrival on Tatooine quite a bit more, creating a stronger emotional link between father and son.

19. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    As has been said before, most are probably canon unless they contradict the final film or a later one. Lucas may have cut them for a reason, but he also wrote them for a reason. Many of them were almost 100% complete, meaning they either stayed in the film until a late point (and thus weren't obviously contradicting), or Lucas specifically had them completed because he wanted people to see them, despite concerns that caused them to be cut earlier on.

These are not the scenes that were "left on the cutting room floor." There are a large number of deleted scenes from the PT that were cut at various stages and never shown to the public in completed form, and these are probably the contradictory ones. Those are the ones you see in crude animatic form, like an early planned Order 66 sequence that had Aayla speak, Quinlan Vos face down a Juggernaut and the clone troopers wear a strange Phase I/Phase II hybrid helmet, or in briefly glimpsed stills from live-action footage, like the version of the Mace-vs-Palpatine duel with Anakin watching from inside the office.

The scene of Obi-Wan and Anakin witnessing Grievous kill Shaak Ti seems to be one of the few exceptions, in that it was included on the DVD and had a fully rendered Grievous and battle droids despite being totally contradictory.

Canonicity is separate from whether they should have been kept in the final cut or not. Lucas may have later included them as supplementary material, but he did cut them for a reason.

20. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I definitely consider the ROTS Rebel Alliance subplot canon — it was even taken into consideration when they were making Rogue One — I believe the “Art and Making of” book makes it clearer, as they brought back the actress that played Mon Montha in those scenes and had her briefly interact with Bail.

Then there’s also the character of Meena Tills which later appeared in TCW... and if you look at the interactions between Padmé, Bail, and Montha over the course of TCW, I think that dynamic has always intended to be firmly there.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    Correct. Meena Tills's biography on the official SW site also mentions the rebel alliance deleted scenes and the Delegation of 2000, so it pretty much is definitely canon.
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/meena-tills

whostheBossk likes this.