main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you count TFA or RO as part of the main saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jesta', Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    I only really count the first 6 as "The Star Wars Saga" as George Lucas was the man behind them.

Evening Star, Darkslayer and oierem like this.
  2. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think RO fits. TFA does not fit, at least for me.

3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    It all fits into to the whole story, in my opinion.

4. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    My mind has a tough time connecting the various trilogies and movies together. Like if I'm watching the OT, then I don't think of it as the middle portion of a 9-part saga; I just think of it as the Star Wars Trilogy. I'm certainly not thinking about Rogue One, the PT, or the ST while watching it. For example, I never think, after watching ROTJ, "Oh boy, it's so sad that this is the last time we'll see them all happy due all the terrible things that will happen in TFA". Instead, I finish ROTJ and think of it as a happy ending to the story I just watched.

Conversely though, if I'm watching the PT or ST/anthology, I do think about the OT since those were made specifically to tie into it. So if I'm watching TFA, I do think back to Han & Leia's OT moments when they're reuniting and their music plays. So yeah, I guess my mindset is a bit odd and it prevents me from ever seeing everything as one unified story. But on the other hand, if I don't enjoy parts of later movies, they never ruin the existing movies I do enjoy. Like if I don't really buy the PT's portrayal of Anakin's turn or don't like where Luke's character might go in the ST, then it doesn't impact my enjoyment of the OT because I can compartmentalize the various trilogies as their own separate things.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, I don't.

oierem likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, I count TFA and R1 into the main Saga.

TFA is Episode VII so it's definitely in the main Saga, and I think it's a great sequel to ROTJ.
    R1, while technically not part of the Saga, I look at as an interlude of sorts. You have Act 1 - TPM, AOTC and ROTS. Then you have an Interlude - R1. Then you have Act 2 - ANH, TESB and ROTJ. Then you have Act 3 - TFA (and TLJ and Ep9). I doubt the other Anthologies will fit like this though. R1 just flows so well with both ROTS and ANH that I can't not count it.

Do you count the Ewok movies? George Lucas was behind those too.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    They're not saga films so no. They aren't labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 on the side of the DvD[face_laugh]

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, The Force Awakens is Episode VII, so it's definitely part of the main Saga. Rogue One deliberately isn't a part of the Saga, so... it's not, but it's still canon relative to the Saga films.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, I count them both as part of the Saga. Even Lucas would contend that they're still part of the Saga, regardless of his selling his company and not being involved.

10. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    No, I don't.
    The Saga is closed for me: 1-6. I don't want any more films. I will watch and enjoy whatever movies they will make but in my mind, they will never have anything to do with "my" Saga (aka the GL Saga).

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I view TFA as a fun expansion, and Rogue One as almost-essential. However if someone said to me "What is Star Wars?" I'd go "the first 6 films and TCW."

Doesn't mean that the rest aren't enjoyable, just that the Lucas stuff is where it all started.

12. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    I'm with you brother.

oierem likes this.
  13. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I do. Obviously they're not part of GL's intentions, but I count them. It doesn't mean I don't have problems with them, but I have some problems with half of the GL saga.

14. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    HaHa, for me, even more so than the abysmal prequel trilogy films. I dislike them so much I never watch them, try to forget about them, and take Rogue One as my starting point.

Avnar likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Someone is going to have to convince me that this thread warrants discussion outside of a trilogy war if it is going to stay open.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    My SW will always be about episode I-VI+ TCW, Rebels,comics and the hypothetical live-action TV series. I'm not interested in the post-RotJ era at all and I didn't find the stealing of the Death Star plans to be the most intriguing story ever but like with everything, I pick and choose what I like such as some characters having great potential or great world-building in the case of RO.

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No offence but this thread seems like bait... I'm going to say that I watch all the movies except the PT and Battle for Endor, and then someone is going to take issue with that and around and around we go... With the release of so many new films we are going to have hundreds of combinations of who watches what and who doesn't watch what on this site. There will be multiple different "canons"[face_dunno]

18. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Sure why not? It's all part of a cohesive story so of course I consider TFA and RO part of the Star Wars Saga. I'm not really sure why George Lucas' involvement really matters here. Star Wars is much bigger than one man and has become a significant part of pop culture. Just as James Bond stories didn't stop being made when Ian Fleming died, Star Wars will probably continue to thrive far into the future. People can argue over what is considered canon all they want but at the end of the day it's all just fiction, primarily for entertainment's sake. If you don't enjoy the new stuff then great, the past movies won't suddenly disappear. I personally can't wait to see what's in store for the future.

19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    To me, what it comes down to is if you have to explain to the average person if and why a SW movie is part of the saga, then it is not. When you say "the Star Wars saga" to the average person there is an inherent understanding of what that is. Whereas at this point I think TFA and RO still require an explanation to get that average person to understand exactly what it is. That doesn't mean they won't eventually become part of the saga and part of that inherent understanding and consensus from the general public. And I think only time can really give it that. But for now, while to us more than average fans these movies are part of the saga, I don't think they've achieved that status yet in the greater pop culture lexicon.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't disagree; at the moment just giving it a chance to go in a different direction than what you described.

Avnar and Bazinga'd like this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've thought before that it would have been really cool if, in keeping with the beginning of the original Star Wars novelization being from the "First Saga" of the Journal of the Whills, they had called TFA Episode I of the "Second Saga".

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO series is my continuation of the Saga though will subscribe to a 3 timeline plan. All of the old EU and first 6 movies, Darth Caedus and Tahiri's actions in Inferno create a second timeline (A Destiny Altered by An Origami Fish) starting from SBS and revamp the rest of the old EU timeline. At the end of the second timeline Snoke goes back and creates the NEU. So everything happens.
    I like TFA but it's not my e7. Still a good SW story but not Saga continuing worthy like the NJO series is imo.

23. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I do. Even as a first gen fan I do.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Lets keep the topic limited to whether TFA and RO are part of the "main saga" and stay away from expanding the topic to books (Canon or Legend).

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I-IX is what I consider the main saga, given they're explicitly numbered as one whole entity. RO and future spinoffs, on the other hand, I view as cinematic EU. Not to say I dislike them. I thought RO was decent. Simply because, at least with the example of RO, it's too stylistically different to fit for my personal tastes. It just doesn't fit like a puzzle piece for me

Also, nine movies in one day, I think I can do. 12+, no way in hell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.