main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Do you download games or buy discs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    This year Microsoft started the "Deals with Gold" promotion program to try and convince Xbox gamers that Xbox Live Gold memberships were still relevant and worth their dime. So every couple weeks, you see indie games available for free download or big studio games available at considerable discounts for download (some games are posted at 50-85% discounts currently).

That said, now more than ever, I've been downloading games via Xbox Live. I had a friend over today and we tried the demo of NHL 2015. We liked it so much that I decided to impulse-buy it on Live.

My Xbox One's storage space is now 90% full.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found themselves caught up in the convenience of downloadable games (only to later deal with the inconvenience of limited storage space), or do most people still go out and buy physical copies of their games.

The only thing I miss about physical discs is their potential trade-in value. The only game that I currently play that's on disc is Assassin's Creed Unity, and sometimes I don't even bother because of the inconvenience of digging through the shelf for it (omg, I've become a person from Wall-E...).

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Depends on the game, I find. Though most of my recent purchases are GOG downloads.

3. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Given Nintendo's refusal to connect digital purchases with an account rather than a console, I tend to stick to physical copies. Plus I can actually sell the game afterward if I decide I hate it. (Looking at you, Wind Waker HD.)

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I always prefer digital - did with 360 and PS4 - unfortunately, did not with my new Wii U, and have found myself with a faulty copy of Super Smash Bros. Now to return the disc.

5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It depends on which is cheaper. Physical copies are obviously better for selling off when I'm done with them, but regrettably the convenience of digital has got the better of my business sense many a time.

As for my hard drive space, I'm still on PS3, and I ran out of space long ago since I became a Plus member. It also pains me to see that I've made many impulsive purchases that I'm never going to play, just because they were discounted. :( I'm looking at you, Crysis!

Ezio Skywalker and heels1785 like this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Disk whenever possible, though given the rise of Steam, disks are becoming meaningless for PC, which irritates me a lot.

MrZAP likes this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I download these days, mainly due to space saving. But also because it's harder to find game stores these days & Steam is right there with better deals.

I only buy hard copies of Star Wars games, as I will do with Battlefront

MrZAP likes this.
  8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Why do you prefer digital? Is it the convenience?

I myself have been going the digital route for movies. Xbox usually gets new movies a month or so before their bluray release dates, and at cheaper prices. However, there is no such time and financial benefits to digital downloads via Xbox Live (not unless you wait 6-12 months for big blockbuster games to get their prices slashed).

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ezio Skywalker - Absolutely - less clutter, too, no piles of cases sitting around. I also prefer digital film collections, e-books, etc. Anywhere that I can get away with having less stuff sitting around, I try to go that route.

Maharishineo likes this.
  10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I prefer physical copies as my internet connection is too slow for digital. Nearly all my digital games have been Games with Gold ones or things like Minecraft as I got a huge discount on the Xbox One. Also, you get some GotY editions that have all the DLC in one handy package at a reduced cost, you don't get that with digital. Some, like the Fallout games, have the DLC on a disk too so buying them used is a good way to get it all for a lot less. Sometimes I don't have a choice though, and games are digital only.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm more likely to buy a disc to save on HD space, but I'll obviously download smaller titles and indie games. I'm looking forward to playing Rogue Legacy on my PS4 later this week.

12. VinnS.

VinnS. Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2015
    90% digital. I'm on PC. Even if I were to buy disc for recent games they all use Steam so it's pointless. I do buy older games on disk once in a while to collect and I buy from GOG cause even though it's digital, it's DRM free

13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I personally buy only digitally except for used games, otherwise I am usually buying steam on Games on Demand or Steam.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I've always been a fan of physical copies because as a gamer I was raised on the idea of "owning" the game. I predict that in the next ten years, as the internet becomes more streaming based and less about downloading, that as physical retail is diminished that gaming will in fact be more about having a license or a subscription to play a game of choice rather than actually owning a copy. In other words, you access the game you pay for rather than installing it or downloading it and uninstalling it at your will. This is why I'm a fan of physical copies, because it gives you that option. Digital distribution is fast moving more toward the licensing/streaming approach I spoke of.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure if you completely ignore the fact that, with the exception of really big companies like EA and Ubisoft, more and more PC developers are favoring a DRM-free approach which streaming is wholly incompatible with. Streaming based consoles (Which I'd consider a second matter entirely) will not be the norm until the internet in the United States isn't total ass.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Usually buy the disc

17. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    There are a lot of games I have no interest in replaying, or that I find are too short for me to justify the price. Not objectively, mind you. But for me personally. For those reasons, I would highly welcome a streaming plan along the lines of Netflix and Spotify, where for a monthly fee you have access to a vast library to play at will. I realise that is not entirely feasible at present, though. But I assume it will become the norm at some point.

18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes but how long is that approach sustainable for? It's great that there are a large number of development studios doing it and I support many independent developers, but there was also a time where my local EB Games sold second hand PC games. They've completely stopped this since most of the titles sold require Steam Activation, even if you are able to run the game independent of Steam after unlocking. To me it's a sign of things to come when it comes to the control that the industry will want to have over gaming. Of course, I sincerely hope I'm wrong but movie and music industry is heading this way so it's hard to see how future distribution of gaming will not.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ITT console gamers discover Steam.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    OnLive tried a few years back. Obviously it didn't work.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I buy most of my games during Steam sales. I have bought the discs in the past, and don't mind doing so, but it's been cheaper to buy keys recently because of the exchange rate. However that's no longer an advantage.

Consoles have always been discs, I only have a 40gb HD in my PS3. Never bothered to replace it.

MrZAP likes this.
  22. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    I didn't realize this. Thank you! Guess the games I have downloaded are console-replaceable anyway (Mario Kart etc). I was having some regrets of buying a physical copy of Pikmin 3 but not anymore.

Overall I prefer the convenience of downloading. I might consider a physical copy for Kingdom Hearts 3 to have it alongside 1 & 2 ala what I did with Pikmin 3.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i do both, but if the price is not bad, i prefer discs. then if something happens you can easily reinstall. if you lose your pc or at least have the hard drive go out it is still there

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Agreed. If my HDDs die on me It wouldn't take all that long to reinstall from a disk, but with the size of games these days it could take several hours or even days to install some of them.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Xbox One requires that disc games be installed anyway. I don't understand why (I figured it must be some leftover requirements from their old and unpopular DRM policy).