main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Do you download games or buy discs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 21, 2015.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    really, i am hoping to get an xbox 1 soon. the xbox does not require installation usually.

2. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I prefer buying the discs. I too am scared about my console dying and I have a constant problem of running out of space (I filled up my PS3 and 360 within a couple of months and have to keep deleting games after I finish them to make room). I doubt I'd ever buy a PS4 game via PSN since a lot of those games are over 40gbs.

JediMatteus likes this.
  3. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Been buying discs since I started playing on consoles, but now that I've seen that PC gaming is far superior, I find myself downloading games more often.

4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Yes superior, but what is your plan when the hard drive burns out. And it will

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    The 360 doesn't require installation. X1 does. My friend brought over the new Call of Duty to play, and we had to wait for around 30 minutes while the X1 installed the game from the disc. Pretty annoying.

6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Well one advantage to this is the same if you did that with a 360 game. Your disc can have scratches. And still play with no prob, because its contents installed. But 30 min is annoying.

7. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Cry myself to sleep.

Nah, I'm sure I could find a way to waste my time away. Always try again too.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I had played Left 4 Dead on my first 360 so much that the disc overheated and cracked. Thankfully I was somehow still able to install the game to the HD and play from there. Advantageous, yes. But the 360 never required it. If MS wants all games to be installed onto the X1, they should have released a larger hard drive for it. 500 GB isn't enough. I'm almost full and my console is just a little over a year old.

JediMatteus likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Multiple backups, like any sane person using a computer for anything?

Commander Krix likes this.
  10. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    How so?

Next year or two, I'm going to need to buy a new PC. Perhaps I'll spend the extra dollar to get one with adequate gaming specs.

Guessing they have spiffy USB controllers for PCs? Because I always hated using the keyboard.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    If you build your own PC, you'll only be spending money every few years to upgrade it rather than buying a new machine every time. Also, Xbox controllers (or PS3 with some software) can just be plugged in and used instantly.

Maharishineo and Commander Krix like this.
  12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    they can backup games? my wd drive will save saved games, but not the game itself.

13. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm old fashioned, I just buy the disks.

14. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013

It's not as if an out-of-the-box can't be upgraded but, yeah, I built my current one in High School and I'm long overdue so I plan to start fresh but I'm on the precipice of paying off my student loans.

But why is PC gaming better? Did the obvious and Googled. Mouse and keyboard are supposed to be a plus but they seem like too much work from the couch, my gaming location of choice haha That aside, the reasons make sense but ultimately it comes down to the games. I won't be forgoing my consoles for PC quite yet. I look forward to the day where I can order just ESPN and NFL games from my cable provider at a more affordable price, and can play any game on my computer but I'm not holding my breath lol

You've been looking out lately so thanks for the help on both accounts!

Commander Krix likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I can run all of my games off of my hard drive clone if I'm so inclined; they're just software (Potentially with certain authorization measures, but I don't buy digital games with DRM).

16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I must admit, I do enjoy digital download for episodic games rather than waiting for the full "season" to be released as a single package. If bundled as one entire game, you lose the sense of the cliff hanger and having to wait for the next instalment. Plus, you're less inclined to re-visit the episode to rediscover certain moments that you may have missed.

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    If I can buy a hard copy I'll buy the hard copy. If there's a really good deal on a digital download then I might go for it, as was the case with Injustice or the Wolf Among Us on PS4. Being able to trade in games is the key reason for me plus I do like having a physical collection.

18. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Always disc, i dislike the download time and i just like the feel of having a hard copy. Makes me feel like i actually own the game

19. ToastedBread

ToastedBread Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2015
    I game only on the PC, and prefer buying downloadable copies due to my constant travelling. But I do buy games on disc if they are on sale or clearance. :)

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm curious about something. For those of you who mostly buy digital, what do you do about special editions? Do you buy those or are they something you're not interested in?

21. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I've never cared about special editions. The exception is if the special edition includes extra content, in which case the digital special edition can also include that. Which they do.

22. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I prefer to download games, even though I prefer to buy my movies on discs. I don't understand myself either.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a special edition game.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The last special edition I bought was a digital special edition, and that was just because I wanted the soundtrack. For the most part, however, I couldn't care less about them and 9 times out of 10 they require preorders I'm not willing to make in the first place.