main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Do you ever think of your life as a movie?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Among the Clouds, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    What if you could edit it liberally, add music and cameos of your favorite people & characters as you saw fit? You could even do a commentary for the Blu-ray Collector's Edition for further sweet irony.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    My life is like that poignant foreign movie that keeps getting nominations but never wins an award.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wallah? What is that, like viola? Which is not to be confused with chello. :p

My life movie used to be pretty cool. I've seen things you wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off Orion's shoulder, C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannheuser Gate... All those memories, lost, like tears in the rain.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To answer seriously, it's not so surprising a phenomenon. Cinema is just another story-telling media, and stories are about sequencing events to give them structure or meaning. Some would argue humans are do this innately anyway, and extend the argument so far as to say religion developed thanks to this tendency to want causal attribution for everything. I personally think that's over-extending the argument, but that's a separate discussion and a digression besides.

Suffice it to say, though, that regardless of our tendencies in a state of nature, human societies certainly craft activities this way. Sports, education, employment. Each has discrete goals that need to be accomplished. Each can be divided into beginning, middle, and end. Given that we deliberately immerse ourselves in environments that have clear, structured, meaning, it's unsurprising that various parts--or even the whole--of our life can be easily represented as a cinematic. The latter was intentionally made to convey the former. So your observation, while true, is a bit like looking at song lyrics and going "Hey, does it ever seem like this would go well with some music?"

Yes. Yes it would. We know that. It's not an accident.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wocky, your life is a David Lynch and Werner Herzog movie.