main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you feel what happens to Padme is enough for her to lose the will to live?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Sin, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Now before I start with my thoughts here, let me say that what happens to Padme in ROTS would be no small thing to deal with. Learning that your husband of 3 years has turned to the dark side and helped murder hundreds of Jedi, along with the Separatist leaders. Then of course he gets angry with her and chokes her for a brief moment and tosses her aside. Now sure, all this would be a great strain emotional on any individual, and certainly would cause a lot of grief and remorse. It would be one thing if she could no longer hold onto life if she had injuries that brought her to the point of death, and she no longer had the strength to live. But we know, that the medical droids report that her injuries are not life threatening.

So with that said, I really question if these things would bring someone to the point they would lose the will to live. Yes, surely she would be tremendously hurt by what has happened, but to not want to live is difficult for me to understand, particularly when you consider the person of Padme and the strength she has shown so far in the prequels.

Then consider that she is carrying children, that need her especially upon learning that Anakin has turned to evil, and no doubt they would need her much, much more without the possibility that their father might not have any influence in their lives.

Then also, there is the fact that Padme as she is dying, she proclaims of Anakin: ?There is still good in him!? Now this for me is all the more reason she would have the will to live, in that you would think she would do whatever is possible to try and turn him back to good, if she knew there was still good in him.

For me, I could comprehend her possibly not wanting to live anymore if she thought Anakin had died, thus she would no longer want to live as well. But even in this case, the fact that she is with children, one might still think she would want to have the desire to live if nothing else but for their sakes.

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. MajorNerd

MajorNerd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    not really, she marries a man she hardly knows and after they get married she hardly ever see's him...she can't be too shocked that flips his wig, since he's already done it infront of her once...

3. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    i agree! i don't like the idea that padme gives up. sure she's been through a lot!

i think it gives padme a certain selfishness about her, that i don't particularly like.

4. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    but she truely, deeply loves him.

5. GhostofMac

GhostofMac Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2003
    Plus I think she realizes she played a large part in the downfall by essentially handing Palapatine the throne with her no confidence vote. She caused a lot of the damage herself through her niave overconfidence and reckless push of her own ideals over the more careful movements of the republic.

6. SarahSky

SarahSky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2004
    She's lost everything she loved and worked for. (I don't think she loved the children - never knew them... I don't think the bond was there)

She's lost Anakin - she loved him so, so much ''I truly, deepy, love you'' yadda yadda

She's lost her whole work - everything she worked for since she was Queen, Senator - It's ALL gone

She just lost the will to carry on.

7. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    I agree with GhostOfMac , on this one,Sin. It's the little things in the first 2 episodes that she overloooked are was naive about lead up to where she ends up in ROTS as well as the galaxy as a whole.

The culmilation of Anakin's fall to the dakside wtih perhaps a strong felling of guilt of all that transpired and her part in itis why she losses the will to live.

8. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    just as Anakin's will wasn't as good as Lukes, Leia will be seen as stronger than Padme.

9. MajorNerd

Jun 28, 2004
    I don't think she loved the children - never knew them... I don't think the bond was there

what kind of women with any decency, does not love her new born children???

10. SarahSky

Jan 16, 2004
    what kind of women with any decency, does not love her new born children???

MANY MANY MANY Women do NOT have immediate feelings for children when they are born.

11. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Its more about being unable to adapt to change rather than wanting to. Perhaps the cons of her life outweigh the pro's.

A lot of this could be deemed a being her fault.

A common theme in star wars is if you dont adapt then you die.

I dont think the question about padme's death is supposed to be that big. Its just a theme. Its left open for interpretation IMO.

12. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    How can one say she has no love or bond to the children?! These are the children that were created by her and the man she loves. Plus, there is the fact that she has carried them for nine months, and so there is a bonding that takes place during that time.

Yes, sure she loves Anakin, and that along with the children is all the more reason she should have the will to live. Again, she says there is still good in him. She should have the will to live to try and help bring him back. And the children themselves should be a very strong reason to live, so that if Anakin remians evil, she could help protect them from him and Palpatine.

Yes, she has suffered great loss, but I do not think this is good enough reasons to lose the will to live. If there were no children, I might agree. If she believed Anakin had died, and there were no children, yes I would agree.

But she has a lot to live for in my opinion.

13. MajorNerd

Jun 28, 2004
    MANY MANY MANY Women do NOT have immediate feelings for children when they are born.

yeah, i said decent women...many, many, many women have zero decency...

14. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    As MajorNerd said, a woman without any decency might not have love for her children, but Padme's character is not this type of woman. In the deleted scenes from AOTC, we see how Padme loves children that are not even her own. So this is not valid in my opinion.

Again, if she believed Anakin were dead, I might see her not wanting to live. But the children for any decent woman would want to live for their sakes.

I also say again, she tells Obi-Wan that Anakin still has good in him. She should want to live to try and possibly help him turn back. For her to say he still has good in him, she is saying there is still hope, and he is not completely lost.

15. SarahSky

Jan 16, 2004
    yeah, i said decent women...many, many, many women have zero decency...

Excuse me, I am assuming that you are a bloke, and that you have no idea about it.

Have you ever heard of Postnatal Depression? Many DECENT women suffer from it after giving birth. Many women who are wonderful people, love their husbands dearly, but have no bond or connection with the child after he/she is born. It is NOT becuase they aren't decent.

--
    Back on the subject, there is no proof that Padmé has a bond with the children, if she had a huge, strong bond,I don't think she would have died.

16. d-art-h_Vandelay

d-art-h_Vandelay Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2005
    I would probably lose the will to live too if everything I devoted my life suddenly becomes horribly corrupted. The beautiful republic is now run by a horribly evil and deformed man who has betrayed her (remember, Padme obviously will blame herself for his rise). And, of course, Anakin has SLAUGHTERED countless little "younglings", in addition to all the regular Jedi. If i just heard about my husband (assuming I was a female) slaughter little Force-sensitive childeren, I wouldn't be terribly happy. It's not so much that she doesn't care about her childeren (good point SarahSky, way too many don't care), but rather she has no hope for them. Anakin is not above killing childeren or trying to kill her, so why should they be safe?

17. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    It isn't that she consciously gives up, she doesn't choose to die, it's just too much for her to take. So whether or not it's enough to kill her, any bond with her children or hope for Anakin to turn back from the Dark Side makes no difference.

18. rancor_ismydad

rancor_ismydad Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    Is that confirmed that Padme dies by "loosing the will to live"?

Gods, this movie is gonna suck.

"Love is the key to the force" or whatever quigon says

"Oh my dear annie has gone bad, I think I'll just die"

19. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    Most of you keep expressing that she has "lost" everything. But how can she state there is still good in Anakin, if she feels all is hopeless?

I understand the facts presented by many of you, but you must also clearly look at the facts that give her a reason to live.

Again, she believes there is still good in Anakin. This should be a primary reason for her to live, for she believes there is still "hope" to turn him back to good.

Secondly, the children she conceived with Anakin, they are a very strong reason for her to live, and they could well have been a tool to help him turn back and see the light, as is basically what happens in ROTJ.

Thirdly, she is a strong woman of great resolve that we clearly saw in TPM and AOTC. She did not show in any way that she could fold as she is going to in ROTS.

Sure, what she fought so hard for in terms of the Republic has been lost, but actually when you look at it closely, she never really accomplished what she desired in the first place, because a war took place anyway, though she was against the Military Creation Act.

I really believe if she believed Anakin were unable to turn back to good or that he was dead, then this for me would certainly be a good reason for her to no longer desire to live.

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I would agree she has lost the will to live because she lost all she loves. In a short amount of time, she lost her husband and best friend, her children, and freedom for the galaxy. Her spirit died.

21. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    ^Bingo, Sapient!

22. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    She does have reasons to live, there's no disputing that, but dying of a 'broken heart' isn't something you decide to do.

Has the phrase "Lost/loses the will to live" actually been used by GL or any of the books? I think there's a small but important difference between that and dying of a broken heart.

23. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    the bottom line: padme is selfish! putting her own misery before her children.

24. SarahSky

Jan 16, 2004
    Again, she believes there is still good in Anakin. This should be a primary reason for her to live, for she believes there is still "hope" to turn him back to good.

I don?t think she 100% believes that.. I think she just wants Obi-Wan to help him. She?s not thinking in the ?here and now?. And if she does truly feel the good in him, I think she realises that it will be a long time before Anakin can be saved.

Secondly, the children she conceived with Anakin, they are a very strong reason for her to live, and they could well have been a tool to help him turn back and see the light, as is basically what happens in ROTJ.

You said it yourself, ROTJ ? it?s many years down the line. Padmé, again, isn?t thinking the in ?here and now?

Thirdly, she is a strong woman of great resolve that we clearly saw in TPM and AOTC. She did not show in any way that she could fold as she is going to in ROTS.

No, but had everything in her life just crumbled in TPM and AOTC? Don?t think so. In TPM, there was hope.. she was a young queen.. had everything to fight for. In AOTC, she wasn't too ?involved? with Anakin, and everything she worked for was still happening, there was still hope.

In ROTS, she?s suffered terrible pain, hello force choke, Anakin has turned, everything she?s worked for has been lost. I believe she knows the children will be looked after?

I think you are looking too much into this. I wish Padmé had just died of injuries? and as darth_daver said, I don?t believe she CHOSE to die, I just believe she couldn?t carry on.

25. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Have you ever heard of Postnatal Depression? Many DECENT women suffer from it after giving birth.

Yep, AFTER giving birth....not before or in the few minutes afterwards!. She didn't lie there and think "oh ***, twins....that's it, Obi-Wan can sort this out, I'm outa here".

Imagine everything you believed in has been obliterated with one cruel stroke. The galaxy you live in is no longer the one you knew just a few days before. The person you love has turned into a maniac who slaughters innocents for his greedy cause. That would cause many to give up the fight.

But Padme has never struck me as this sort of a person. She would continue to fight for the rebellion. She would be there for her newborns. I don't buy it that she just gives up. That doesn't do her character justice.

Physical and mental problems combined.....maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.