main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you guys think there will ever be a Live Action TV Series or Animated Series set after ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc_craigwb

marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    it would have to fast forward to apoint when the major characters from ot are dead,cant see harrison returning to play an elderly solo!think theres more scope in the past but who knows if the script is good enough why not?

2. Darth_Mideon

Darth_Mideon Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2003
    Ok my thinking is this, why not have it set about 60 years after ROTJ, with the New jedi Order in full swing, with Master Skywalker as the wise old Yoda figure. While the new order is flourishing, a sect of force sensitive people unhappy with the Jedi way of life are learning the sith ways. The new republic (while boiling with corruption) are trying to to stop a civl war on a outer rim world, and local planets are starting to take sides. The bounty/smuggler and slave trade is escalating and while the republic are trying to control it they are fighting a losing battle. The sith and it's non force diciples are gaining strength, and are planning to overthrow the jedi and take there place within the republic.

The episodes could be a mix of continuing story and have episode specific subjects. I'm thinking 3 seasons would be good.

1st season - the build up to anarchy,
    2nd season - anarchy many battles
    3rd season - Jedi to the rescue!

It could include various angles - the jedi, the sith, the soldiers of the republic, the council members, the people on the planet at the brink of war, the smugglers and bounty hunters.

but then thats just my view.

3. marc_craigwb

Sep 8, 2005
    sounds good to me

4. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    OK, here's my thought about post-ROTJ on TV. If I was in charge :) I would greenlight an animated series based on the Thrawn Trilogy. It was one of the most popular storylines of the EU, and it re-introduced so many of us to that EU, so why not have it reintroduce it to all of those casual fans, too?

As for voices, I'm sure you would easily get Mark Hamill and Luke and Anthony Daniels as 3PO. Shouldn't be too hard to have Billy Dee as Lando, either. I highly doubt you would ever get Ford to be Han, and Carrie Fisher would be doubtful, as well, though she wouldn't really sound right anymore. Hamill's aging would be less of a factor, since he's a talented voice actor anyway.

And here's where I go out on a limb. For a real success, LFL would have to really get behind this thing. So, you spread the whole Thrawn tale over 3 seasons, with twelve episodes a piece. Each novel would be a single season. The comic book adaptations of the novels were 6 issues each and even those were shortened. 12 half-hour episodes per novel would work nicely, I think. In fact, remember that "the stormtroopers are clones" cliffhanger scene ending one of the books? It'll work even better after everyone's seen the prequels.

So, that's my concept. Who wants to hire me? :)

5. marc_craigwb

Sep 8, 2005
    its a plotline thats definitely worth pursuing!for me the possibilities are endless,having been alifelong sw fan,7 yrs old when it 1st came into existence-its incredible that almost 30 yrs on it still has the power to thrill,excite and inspire almost everyone.its showed no signs of slowing down,the opposite in fact-so in my mind,the potential sw based projects are infinite-does anyone truly think something this popular wont be back in cinemas soon?

6. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    I'd prefer Kotor! But an post Rotj tv show would also be great. I think one right after Rotj would be cool. Maybe follow some new characters so you can keep it exciting.

7. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Anyone remember the Spielberg TV series "Amazing Stories?"

I envision a 20 years post-ROTJ live action series with Mark Hamil as the centerpiece. Each week he would tell a different story with a different lesson or learning objective to the Padawans -- perhaps one week or so he would cover an Old Republic tale, pre-TPM the next, pre-ANH another week, etc. In this way we could meet old friends (Palps, Vader, a young Maul, Plagueis), EU characters and new acquaintences.

Once in awhile (sweeps?) Master Luke would have an adventure of his own, in his own post ROTJ time period. And perhaps Leia, Han, Lando and Chewie could guest star . . . . "from time to time." [oh dear] :eek:

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>So, you spread the whole Thrawn tale over 3 seasons, with twelve episodes a piece. Each novel would be a single season. The comic book adaptations of the novels were 6 issues each and even those were shortened. 12 half-hour episodes per novel would work nicely, I think.<<

Most of the novels, Thrawn Trilogy books included, really wouldn't need more than 4 one-hour long episodes and could probably be adapted into 3 easily.

9. marc_craigwb

Sep 8, 2005
    i really cant see the powers that be messing up the chronology the way st did-the prequels,love or hate them,definitely felt as if they were set in a period b4 the original trilogy-something enterprise failed at dismally,i mean who can honestly accept archers enterprise being a predecessor of kirks enterprise?!!star trek failed where starwars excelled-creating a believable past using superior technology not available the first time around

10. marc_craigwb

Sep 8, 2005
    hell bring em all on!animation,cgi,live action,stop motion,any timeline u want-the options are endless,even if a couple suck,id rather watch 12 different sw series instead of big brother,survivor and temptation island!csi is great but thats got 3 separate series running!give me kotor,sote,post rotj,clone wars and pre anh at least!

11. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Agreed. Of course, we could have an EUTV network and then watch everything about Thrawn; Dark Empire; Shadows; Darth Bane; Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma.=P~

12. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    There was some talk of this a few years ago, but it is clear now that Rick McCallum will produce and control Star Wars live action television.

He made if very clear at C3 that the focus of the first live action show would be the time between Episodes 3 and 4. He suggested a show set in the post Episode 6 period would possibly come later. Mark Hamill might end up playing a very old Luke, but that would be OK.

13. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I think the live action series planning is in full swing right now. As to speculation? GL wants it post ROTJ, ok great. Here's what we don't need: Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer etc... coming in on guest spots more than a few times making it look stupid. We don't want a Holiday Special. Sure some cameos, great, but the series needs to be about the Jedi not killed in Order 66. And knowing GL, he's going to find some unknown youngsters to play some Jedi. Laguna Beach Star Wars anyone?

14. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Kotor or Post ROTJ is fine by me.

Any tv show caught in the same timeframe as the movies is going to be too limited.

15. aubrie_darkjedi

aubrie_darkjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    okay well .....i think there should be like something after the ROTJ. and like no one knows .....unlike us star wars fans .....other people i mean they dont know what happens in between the star wars films... and before the PM. again unless u area a star wars fan...LIKE US!....lol ...okay ..well when i go to college i want to be a director.....so i am studying now ...or practicing now ...w/e u call it. and i was thinking ..well maybe i cn make the little movies that are in between the other movies and after the ROTJ and before the PM. like KOTOR......and w/e. yea but i have awhile til i go to college but i am making some star wars film.......yea they are weird...LOL..8-}

16. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    If we want Harrison as Han or Carrie as Leia we have to skip to NJO. But that wouldn't be a bad thing, NJO is riper for a looooooong TV series than anything Bantam like Thrawn. That being said, I would divide the NJO into four seasons:

Season one: Vector Prime, Dark Tide I and II, Hero's Trial I and II

Season two: Balance Point, Knightfall I, II, and III (in case extra episodes are needed), Edge of Victory I and II, Star by Star (because Sbs takes over six months timeline-wise, plenty to use here)

Season three: Dark Journey, Enemy Lines I and II, Traitor, Destiny's Way

Season four: Force Heretic I, II, and III, The Final Prophecy, and The Unifying Force.

Anyone like this format?

17. RandolfCarter

RandolfCarter Jedi Knight

Aug 8, 2006
    I think a KOTOR or very distant post-ROTJ series would be best, because they would offer all new characters and situations without "infringing" on the "continuity" for those who care. I don't don't think it will be possible, however, until Lucas either kicks the bucket and someone else takes over Lucasfilm, or he steps back and lets others do their own series/movies.

18. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    A post-ROTJ cartoon would be cool. That way Mark Hamil can do the voice for Luke Skywalker. :)

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't recall GL ever saying that he will do a series after ROTJ. I do recall he said that if the live action tv series that will becoming out in the period between Episode3 and 4 do well, he might consider doing something in the KOTOR era. But, my take is this: If you want coverage of all eras, stick to the novels and comic books, and maybe some of the video games. GL has had a history of doing projects from star wars that are not cinema related inbetween the movies. Droid and Ewoks cartoons are an example, as well as the two Ewok tv movies, and the clone wars cartoons. Heck, he even authorized his animation department to make 30 minute clone wars 3-d cartoons. Why not another era? If that does well plus the live action, I would not be surprised if they decided to make the 1 hour animation happy hour where you either have the 30 minute clone wars cartoons first followed by new 30 minute Indiana Jones cartoons, or a new cartoon series in the Galactic Civil War of Star Wars (Between Episode 4-6). That is the indication that I believe that GL will take. I feel that he really was sincere in what he said, He won't make more star wars movies after ROTJ cause there ain't anything that he has left to tell. If he decides to make a live action tv series after ROTJ then it will most likely have to be something .......who knows, you would pratically have to call GL a liar since he would have to come with new stuff and re-write the EU. If you guys haven't noticed, everything after 25 years after ROTJ is crowded, then we start the NJO series (19 books, 2 e-books, and several short stories in the magazines, plus a 4 issue series titled "Chewbacca", then this is follwed by The Swarm War, which then begins LOTF (9-book series), which will most likely lead into one more big series with the big three as hinted by Sue Rostoni at the official site , then we get into Legacy (Dark Horse continuation of events 140 years after a New Hope. So how can a live action tv series work in that time frame? You'd have to re-write the EU or just pretend that all that stuff is an alternate universe that is only for the comic books and novels, and that the tv series has a higher worth since everybody wiil either see it or at least check it out, as oppose to the novels that only the main stream star wars fans get.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    cont'd
    and if that happens, I beleive that a lot of star wars fans will be pissed. Becuase one thing that this franchise has that no other franchise in history has, is that fans value the materail that is created by the authors, writers, illustrators, animators, and designers. To tell them to throw all that away and say that the new live action tv series after ROTJ is the way will be met by a lot of hostilities. On the other hand, if the folks at LucasLand do not start planning outside the box, star wars may have at best 10 years left of life. Which is alot, but, they need to take advantage of the animation, live action tv series, and video games. I know Sansweet said in 2004 that it was those three that was going to add life to star wars, but 2 years since he made that statement, its really been the novels and the comic books that are pushing the envelope. Both of those licensees are covering every era, and there are doing it well. KOTOR comic book as well as Legacy are doing very good, The Rebellion story has done very good and I know there are fans that can't wait for the Dark Times series to start next month, the novels have the LOTF which has kicked off to a healthy start plus a KOTOR era type novel coming out soon which looks very good, and the Darth Sidious book that everyone wants to read. Will see, or how star wars fans say "Time will Tell!

21. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    How about a series that focuses on the first of the Jedi... Where and how they came to be. And of course the very first of the Sith.

It would be a nice contrast to The OT which focuses on the last of the Jedi.

There's plenty of room to invent new characters, planets, situations and it would never contradict the movies or EU...

D_M_S_L

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I really really hope not.

And as a crazed Star Wars fan I don't know how I can say that. I just think the books/games/Ewok movie/comics and other things covered it. Besides, whats there to do after ROTJ?Darth Vaders dead, Luke is a jedi master,Han and Leia are together,ahd Anakin reunites with Obi Wan and Yoda and everythings good again. I just think it would be weird if they continued a story line with live action after the movies.

Other than my opinon on how awkward it would be to have a TV series after ROTJ, you guys have some good ideas. But there has to be an end to Star wars, like the show would have to incorporate some of the novels, like Jedi search and such. It would take away the imagination and greatness of the book.

23. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    I would want nothing more than a SW TV series set after ROTJ set 40,50 or even 60 years after ROTJ with Luke Skywalker as an Obi-Wan/Yoda type Jedi Master passing on the torch to the next generation of Jedi Knights now led by his son Ben Skywalker. It would be fun if it were live action dealing with Ben Skywalker and the next generation of Jedi Knights and maybe Jacen Solo as a Sith Lord(since we know he will become a Sith Lord in LOTF:Sacrifice that is if he will survive LOTF)and maybe even Ben and Jaina's kids. Mark Hamill would have a recurring role as an aging Luke Skywalker. The TV series would be 5-10 or 20 years after the LOTF book series.

I would prefer a live action series but an animated series set after ROTJ would be fun too. I hope that a post-Jedi TV show will happen after the intra-trilogy series. And maybe it will come out around 2011. That's when Mark Hamill said that was when the sequel trilogy was to be made and of course he would be the appropraite age to play an Obi-Wan style Luke then.

On the other hand an animated series based on the old Marvel Comic series or the Legacy comic series would be fun too. It would be awesome to see Lumiya or Cade Skywalker in animated form. Even an animated series based on The Thrawn trilogy or Shadows of the Empire would be fun too. It would also be awesome to see Mara Jade,Grand Admiral Thrawn and Prince Zixor in animated form. But then again Lucas has also ruled out an animated SOTE or Tales of the Jedi etc. in the recent IESB interview so how sad is that.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. 694377

694377 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 24, 2006
    i dont think there ever will be, but i would love it if they did. if there was, the casual star wars fan might watch it and think "who are these guys?" as they havnt read any of the books/novels containing the characters, if they ever do, jacen solo would probably be a loved character.

25. DARTH_JANISSARY

DARTH_JANISSARY Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    Hey I think it would be cool if they did a show after or during the OT with all new characters after all the galaxy is a big place & should have more events happing then just what is portrayed in the movies. in fact I think it would be cool to hear of movie events Like the Destruction of the Death Star & The Capture of Han Solo as background events like at a bar or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.