main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you hope Tatooine is made a dangerous place?.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    When ever you hear a character speak of Tatooine and it's spaceports, it's always about how dangerous they are, but when we actually see it, the biggest complaint we always hear is always about how hot and boring it is. TPM gave us a glimpse with slavery, but past that it was an ok place. I remember reading the Nobot wiki article, about how he possibly witnessed the brutal murder of a woman......or even did it himself. I know there's a rating system when it comes to movies, but when ever we've seen Tatooine on film, to me it's always been a, "meh......I wouldn't mind a week there just to say I've been" .

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    well in Episode 4 when Obi-Wan says "Mos Eisley spaceport..You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" , he must know this firsthand as he's been on Tatooine for 20 years..... and we see what happens in the bar all in just the ten minute scene we're given, a few thugs try and rough up Luke and Obi-Wan cuts off the thug's hand and then moments later a brutal murder takes place when Han blasts Greedo... If both of those things happened just in a matter of moments, there's no telling what else goes on there that we never see.[face_laugh]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In Anakin's journal that came out around the time of TPM, Anakin mentions worrying about Padme because any pretty woman who sets foot on Tatooine soon becomes the property of Jabba the Hutt.

No longer canon now I guess, but that has stuck in my head and creeped me out about Tatooine.

There is also the fact that the economy revolves around betting on pod races, the merchants getting ready to beat up Jar-Jar (yeah, I know, for some people that's points in Tatooine's favor), the Tusken Raiders terrorizing settlers, and yes, the cantina.

I'll pass, and not just because I don't like sand.

-Jedi Joe- and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't know which is worse but I'd rather live on Tatooine then say Dagobah.

AniLukeRey likes this.
  5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    The truth is, we've only seen actual cities on Tatooine twice, and both times included folks being roughed up and/or killed. Qui Gon mentioned how it was ruled by the Hutts, although that may have changed a bit once the Empire took over. As far as I'm concerned, any place ruled by gangsters is not a nice place. And that's not even mentioning the Sand People massacring farmers and kidnapping their wives.

AniLukeRey and thejeditraitor like this.
  6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Was it too coarse???

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

sbk1234 wrote

The truth is, we've only seen actual cities on Tatooine twice, and both times included folks being roughed up and/or killed. Qui Gon mentioned how it was ruled by the Hutts, although that may have changed a bit once the Empire took over. As far as I'm concerned, any place ruled by gangsters is not a nice place. And that's not even mentioning the Sand People massacring farmers and kidnapping their wives.

The ANH novelization features the (extended) deleted scene between Vader and Commander Number One ("Chief Bast") in the Death star corridors.

Vader said "Send in more men if you have to. Never mind the protests of the planetary governor - I must have those droids." The sheer presence of sandtroopers at checkpoints to the space harbor section and the street patrols apparently suggest that Mos Eisley, by the time of ANH is under Imperial control (though not necessarily an efficient one).

I think Tatooine is an analogy to both the outer provinces of the Roman Empire (e.g. Gladiator) as well as the Frontier of the USA in the 19th Century.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, 3 times technically, if you count Anakin and Padme's brief visit to Watto in AOTC.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the "planetary governor" is actually Jabba himself? Certainly in the early Darth Vader comics, Vader seems to deal with Jabba as a major power in the Outer Rim, like in TCW.

I could see these sandtroopers actually having been dropped from the Devastator, and possibly the two other Star Destroyers seen in orbit in ANH - maybe being ordinary stormtroopers that have been given bonus "sand-kit" for this specific duty.

10. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord

That's an interesting theory.

On the other hand we have Luke's "I can't get involved! I've got work to do! It's not that I like the Empire. I hate it!

This suggests he had dealings with Imperials before, probably dealing with bureaucrats that gave him a hard time with registries for his and the family's landspeeder, his skyhopper or else.

And then there is Fixer's statement from the Anchorhead scenes:

FIXER I keep telling you, the Rebellion is
    a long way from here. I doubt if the
    Empire would even fight to keep this
    system. Believe me Luke, this planet
    is a big hunk of nothing...

So Lucas established Imperial posession and presence on Tatooine for ANH.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We'll have to wait and see just how much of that gets reestablished.

12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    TPTB can surely retcon, revise and rewrite ANH to their heart's content ("The ANH 1984 Special Edition") and alter the context, but I hope they also come up with a good explanation, then, why Luke could possibly hate the Empire if he never had any dealings with it.

Or have "Empire" replaced with "Hutts", "Sandpeople" etc.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He's been listening to what his friends, like Biggs, have to say about it.

Apparently that conversation with Biggs was recanonized:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/biggs-darklighter

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Starwars.com: "Biggs Darklighter grew up on Tatooine with Luke Skywalker, and shared his friend's dreams of escaping the dull desert world. After graduating from the Imperial Academy, he defected from the Empire's service to join the Rebellion. He and Luke were reunited at Yavin 4's Rebel base, and flew together against the Death Star. Luke returned from that mission as a hero, but Biggs did not survive."

BIGGS I made some friends at the Academy.
    (he whispers)
    ...when our frigate goes to one of
    the central systems, we're going to
    jump ship and join the Alliance...

Assuming the Rand Ecliptic was an Imperial merchant ship he defected when he jumped ship and joined the rebellion (that was his plan he told Luke).

So I'm not sure where that conversation had been "re-canonized"?

15. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    A Kenobi movie set on Tatooine is what we need. Mad Max style with Tusken Raiders, Jawas, Banthas, Krayt Dragons, Anchorhead, Tosche Station, Maul, Qui-Gon's ghost, Hutts, Toydarians, smugglers and pirates, etc. Very dangerous!!

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    True, Darskpine10! I forgot about that. Still it was only one little scene, so we really didn't see much.

darskpine10 likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the biography gallery.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It already is isnt it?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the general rule now is -

"only what's in the movies counts - not deleted scenes, radio plays, old novelizations, etc, until some newcanon source uses the relevant scene"

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I know, the movies are what I was referring to :)

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Biggs's conversation with Luke on Tatooine doesn't appear in the movie though - not even the Special Edition.

That's an example of a "deleted scene that has been recanonized".

22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I was answering the thread question of - do you hope it will get dangerous. I think the Tuskens make it plenty dangerous already

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, right.

Another hazard - Sarlaccs. In the EU, there's lots of small Sarlaccs buried under the sand - and you only know they're there when a pit suddenly collapses under you.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In TPM, Qui-gon and Panaka discuss Tatooine as being controlled by the Hutts who would do worse things than the Federation if they were found out. The planet as a whole is not referred to as a dangerous place. Just that walking out into a sandstorm is and that comes from Anakin. In ANH, as noted, Obi-wan only talks about Mos Eisley being a place filled with lowlifes and scumbags, which was to set up the Cantina sequence. Tatooine itself is no more or less dangerous than Coruscant, Jakku or Ryloth. Going to Jabba's palace and going into Tusken territory is not a wise decision. Those are the only true dangers on the planet.

25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    What exactly has been "re-canonized"? Lucas explicitly stated that he did not include the Anchorhead scenes because they would have slowed down the pacing. Other than that these are still G-canon and nothing I learned or heard from Disney currently suggests that these scenes do not exist or matter any longer.

Sure, Disney can declare these as irrelevant, but they better prepare for the Sithstorm that will follow...

-Jedi Joe- likes this.