main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Do you imagine pairings for characters in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Have you ever imagined your own made up romantic pairings in Star Wars for characters in the movies?
    If so which characters?
    (EU isn't really taken into consideration so if a character I listed has a pairing in the EU, I am not really counting that, this is what I can imagine for the movie characters)

I can see Jocasta Nu and Count Dooku at time having feelings for each other.

I can imagine Palpatine having someone in the Senate that likes him, but with him not returning her feelings. Palpatine- bachelor for life

I can see Shmi having a past husband. I don't like Anakin being fatherless. There is no reason for him to be a "chosen one." Maybe she could have married a former Jedi and he dies or leaves her.

Moff Tarkin- A wife that is killed in a Rebellion (not associated with the Alliance many years ago, so he dedicates his life to trying to bring order, but loses his way and will go to extreme lengths and becomes the bad man we see in ANH willing to destroy planets)

Yoda bachelor for life.

Valency Jane likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Shmi had a one-night stand/short-term relationship and her "there is no father" is her way of telling Qui-Gon to mind his own business.

Other than that I don't think about romance in Star Wars very much; too much of it is badly done.

cerealbox and only one kenobi like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Not everybody is obliged to have a partner. Sure Nute Gunray and Mon Mothma would've made an awesome couple, but yeah, the fate stood in their way. Same goes for Boss Nass and Ackbar's niece.[face_praying]

That said, I've been a shipper of the first couple hinted in SW TV shows since childhood and their awkward teenage flirting is well depicted and not creepy like, say, the PT romance. Both characters had a thing for behaviour not typical of their gender, at least not by media standards, and the idea of pairing an artist with an artist was so much better than, say, pairing a hero with a noblewoman, which happens in about every other work of fiction. Nowadays, when a snarky, attractive girl is paired with an awkward, lost-in-clouds guy, there is always the manic pixie dream girl stuff, saving the poor nerd by sex or whatever...me no likey.

I was over the moon when a comic released in 2013 basically confirmed their relationship. I can't even.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I see Bail Organa and Wilhuff Tarkin both as widowers.

I agree no one is 'obligated' to be wed but neither is it a negative thing. Casual relationships I don't condone so I don't consider any possible for any characters.

I can see Jocasta and Dooku wed.

I'd prefer Luke either be alone or a widower with children.

Obi-Wan and Yoda celibate.

5. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't think everyone has to have a romantic pairing, but I imagine some for some characters.
    If by casual relationships you mean sex without being married, I also don't condone either.
    I don't mind Luke have a romantic interest, but I don't really like the ones I've seen him given in the EU. I think if Luke were to marry a girl it should be a decent girl, not a bad girl.

Obi-wan I can see with Satine had she lived.
    Yoda and Palpatine celibate, although I can see someone in the Senate having a crush on him, and he doesn't care about her.
    I can see Jocasta Nu and Dooku in something similar to Obi-wan and Satine. If Jocasta left the order with Dooku I can see them getting married.

6. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    To answer your question. No. I didn't like shipping in the first place, and then it was developed into a full blown loathing after spending some time with a Roleplay group (that I've since left).

So while sometimes I think certain characters would be better for other characters in real life, I just leave it the way the creator saw fit to create.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The Order seeming to forbid marriage is ridiculous.

I don't like when a man puts a lady before his faith. I think that's disastrous.

Thuro: I don't like how minorities of fandoms try to force ships on other fans. I am not a major shipper due to this.

Thuro likes this.
  8. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't think a man should put a lady above his faith either, but the Jedi were wrong to forbid marriage and they were raised that way. People can change their beliefs later. If Obi-wan can to realize he didn't agree with the code, he could have left the Order and married. I would have liked to see that. I think the Jedi Order that is the main one headed by Yoda went to extremes and put in place rules unreasonable.

Jedi don't allow families, but without loving relationships how many of them would even exist? After all many were taken from families and they seem okay with non-force users having families.

Sudooku and Thuro like this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed. However, by the time we met all such characters they were adults and seemed to have chosen to stay with a celibate Order. That is a choice.

Thuro likes this.
  10. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    By the time of the end of ROTS, I think some of their beliefs changed. After all Obi-wan and Yoda didn't raise the kids themselves and Luke was trained as an Adult.
    I hope Luke isn't going to be like the old Jedi order in ST.

I'd rather the Jedi were more like an order of knights(not the realistic kind that pillaged), but the fantasy kind that would help people, with them free to marry and have families.

If the TPM was done differently I think Qui-gon could have been Anakin's father instead of Obi-wan's master.

11. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I'm actually glad they didn't. It feel like a rehash of the whole I am your father thing but with a different spin to me.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Movie-wise I stick to those pairings.
    EU-I am more open to different ones.

Sudooku likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Their Oder died I would hope that would wake Obi and Yoda up.

So do I. Luke doesn't even need to be a 'Jedi' though I suspect he'll still claim the label.

14. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I just hope he becomes EU. Well at least until LOTF. That whole "Mercy is for those who deserve it." Sthick can be forgotten and left behind.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed. That is a HORRIBLY judgemental sentiment and it seems very out of character for him.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  16. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Luke says " Mercy is for those who deserve it" in a book?
    That is out of character. He wanted to save his father who did terrible things. I don't like EU after ROTJ. Why would Luke say that?
    The Luke I know is compassionate, merciful, and forgiving.
    Mercy is given to those who DONT deserve it.

Sith_Smuggler, Darth Ukendt and Thuro like this.
  17. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I know right? That was slightly out of character at that point. But he had been written into being largely the Mace Windu of the New Jedi Order towards the end of FOTJ.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I like Post-RotJ EU till NJO best but I don't care for Luke's characterisation in NJO onwards or L/M. Luke doesn't suit being Mace-like at all.

19. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like Luke/Mara either or Luke being Mace like. I haven't read all the books with Mara, but I don't like her.
    Luke and bad girl pairings I don't like. Luke is better suited for a sweet nice girl in my opinion.

20. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    How far had you in had you read with Mara's character? She softened a lot towards as the story went on. Always a fighter. But a wife and a mother as well.

Docgeo likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed. Strong doesn't equal mean for me. I quit reading straight through amid NJO and stopped for years entirely after Betrayal.

22. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I have not read far and not everything in order too. I read Visions of the Future I think and Thrawn trilogy comics and Vector Prime

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I would love to see a pairing of Hego Damask and Palpatine, Anakin's true fathers. I wonder how they would get along with Shmi, their surrogate mother?

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes. In a book written by the same author who is writing Dark Disciple. Let that sink in for a minute.

As far as the Jedi's rule, there are more ways to have "loving relationships" than the Norman Rockwell depiction of a westernized family.

On Mara: she was far better before she "softened," she got whiny after that, but I liked her better alone than with Luke anyway.

Darth Ukendt and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Given how this thread focuses sort of on plausible 'what if's surrounding characters, this seems slightly more like an SWC thread than Saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.