main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Do you imagine pairings for characters in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I can imagine Palpatine having someone in the Senate that likes him, but with him not returning her feelings. Palpatine- bachelor for life
    ------------------------------------

I'm on two minds about this personally, I'd like to see Palps as A-sexual who has no interest at all in that kind of thing.

I do think I remember reading though that he had many mistresses in the EU, perhaps Iron Lord or Sinister could confirm :p

As for pairings: I don't like shipping as a general rule, so I don't think about it :p

Thuro and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't like it much either I don't think about it much. :p

3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    What I meant by "I can imagine Palpatine having someone in the Senate that likes him, but with him not returning her feelings. Palpatine- bachelor for life"

is that someone "secretly" likes him but he has NO romantic interest what so ever. He knows about the persons feelings, but does not pursue it. It doesn't become anything more than someone just liking him and wanting to be noticed.

I don't think Palpatine would have mistresses and I don't like the idea. I see him as someone who has no interest in that sort of thing.

Palpatine is probably celibate. He doesn't seem the type to engage in relationships. He is more interested in power and romance doesn't fit into that. Also I don't think Palpatine is very a feelings type person besides anger and hate and pleasure at the pain of others.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It could factor into his manipulations and scheming, however. Though yes I will view a character as celibate before a casual or affairs type. I don't condone it so I don't accept it in characters morally though on a few occasions I will give a story with such a character a chance in hope they overcome it, however it's rare.

5. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Aromanticism is not asexuality, however. Palpatine may care about power and not care about anyone else, and thus would never form romantic attachments, but that isn't to say he's celibate. Psychopaths tend to be highly promiscuous and sexually-driven. That isn't to say Palpatine is, but it can't be discounted as a possibility.

Also, let's stay away from needlessly repetitive commentary about not condoning casual relationships, shall we?

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, really, this isn't church.

I can see Palpatine having lovers just to fulfill his physical desires, nothing else involved.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    EU Palpatine had a whole bunch of concubines (who intrigued among themselves, hoping to be the one who gains power by bearing his heir). That was in Children of the Jedi. Would be interesting if the newcanon ever makes allusions to something similar.

8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Dreadwar: I just don't see Palps as that type of person, he seems to be "above" that kind of thing to me, dunno just always thought it :p

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  9. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    I know what you mean. I do like my Star Wars to be realistic, though, so I do prefer to see Palpatine as a Machiavellian psychopath rather than being entirely inhuman, and I think his taking lovers to fulfill purely physical lusts would be a realistic characteristic of psychopathy. I think asexuality would make the character less interesting, yet also magnify his inhuman evil, so I'm divided in preference on the matter myself.

Sudooku likes this.
  10. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Palpatine seems kind of like a Sociopath to me. I don't see him interested in having a partner. I think he gets pleasure from seeing others hurt.

AshiusX likes this.
  11. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    that's interesting because I'm the opposite, I think having have no interest in it what-so-ever makes the character MORE interesting :p

otherwise for me he'd be just another run of the mill psychopath, Also for me I don't really see characters in Star Wars as 100 percent "Earth-like", and might have different brain characteristics than we have, that's how I look at it anyway, but each his own and all that :p

12. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    I view Palpatine as a sociopath also. But sociopathy != sadism. Sociopaths are generally promiscuous individuals, having (or at least desiring) plenty of sexual partners even if having few romantic partners.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Darth Sidious and Mother Talzin totally had something going on :p

Nehru_Amidala and Sudooku like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

This. The idea of people not being able to find somebody due to a mental illness/disorder of any kind is pretty much a discredited trope. In fact, most psychopaths go through numerous partners and people with depression and other mood disorders often have co-dependency issues, because the society has made think that they cannot make on their own.

Flapjack4 and Darth_Dreadwar like this.
  15. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    After this thread turned out to be a secret Palpatine-fan-thread, I would like to give in my own two cents:

Actually I find it a bit boring when a pairing is always about good&good or bad&bad. Good&bad makes much more tension and gives more room for productive conflicts who drive the movie/novel further.

And what do you mean with: you don't want Luke to become Mace like? What's wrong with Mace?
    Does this mean that somebody in the Temple could have a crush on Yoda too, which is not being answered positively? ;) For Yoda isn't that much around in the senate - except alone with Palpatine, hehe!

And why are EU-characters out of counting in this thread when they are canon? That makes it quite impossible to pair the movie-heroes and villains with anyone. For there are only few active female SW-movie-characters and overtheless they are shipped or to be shipped already. So what's left for example for Dooku? Jocasta Nu? Or some more seldom displayed Jedi like Aayla Secura or Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee who showed up either standing silently in Palpatine's office just like his Sith-statues or dying on the battlefields for just a few seconds in the whole six-pack of SW? Far to few seconds and moments for me, to develope any feelings or thoughts about such peripheral characters to spin a relationship with anyone more crucial in SW.

Actually I don't know yet about any pairings of Hego Damask with anyone. But I would find such very exciting.

Concerning Palpatine I can imagine him to have a secret lover for his sexual desires or just to play dangerous mind-games and intrigues with. So sex for Palpatine/Sidious will be just an exciting extension of his daily insidious-spin-doctor-life always to be subdued to the execution of the Grand Plan of the Sith - which means - Unlimited Power for himself.

Actually all my non-canon-ships are between TCW-, SW-novel- and SW-movie-characters. Sometimes OC-characters may appear in a ship with well-known characters, but those ships are not that important to the story.

Concerning fandom I don't like a story just spun around a totally self-invented OC-Character, just created to be shipped with a well-known SW- or TCW or SW-novel-character. Topped with totally earthly names diminishing the SW-feeling for me completely.

And when I ship some characters I'm trying to stick with the official canon, means this ship will not provoke any contradiction to it, but fits into the SW-stories smoothly.

16. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    This is a not Palpatine fan thread. I don't like Palaptine. I hate that man for what he does.
    But I can imagine him having a "secret admirer" during his Senate years when he puts on his fake personality in public. He is well like and seems like a nice guy, when in fact he is evil. It's not really a pairing as I don't think he as interest in women.

This has to do with a conversation at the 1st page of this thread concerning something Luke says in the EU.

They are not. I was refering

I said at the begining (EU isn't really taken into consideration so if a character I listed has a pairing in the EU, I am not really counting that, this is what I can imagine for the movie characters)

Meaning if I imagined a imagine a movie character such a Count Dooku/Jocasta Nu if either one of them had an EU pairing I didn't know about I am not counting that in my own imagination. (I have not read the entire EU) So I may imagine a canon character in a paring that doesn't have one in the movies/TCW, but does in the EU.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    not really. there's only like 5 female's in the galaxy , right?

:p

Thuro and Sudooku like this.
  18. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Well it could be a past thing too.
    Like I can see Tarkin as a widower turned bitter after the loss of his wife.
    Or you can make up a character, but of course not everyone has to have a pairing.
    I see some characters as never getting married and that is fine and I prefer it that way.

Mace Windu for example seems more suited to staying single.
    Or Yoda
    And Jar Jar etc

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    now Jar Jar, yes i can see him married.

Darth Ukendt, Sudooku and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    That was just an ironic reference of mine to the fact that two thirds of this thread-page are devoted to Palpatines biases and desires or not-desires. I should have added an appropriate smiley. Never mind :)

Ah, you meant this:
    Actually I don't see anything wrong in Lukes "macey" statement. Luke was not always in the position of that power to grant easily any mercy towards people who threatened either him personally or the re-awakening of the Jedi-order.

Thus my version is: Mercy for the not-deserving is by those who can afford it. If one can't afford, mercy is just for those who deserve it.

So when you ship Obi-Wan and Satine, which I always considered EU or Tarkin with a woman who is totally OC then my ships of Ventress/Obi-Wan, Ventress/Palpatine, Maul/Kilindi and Maul/Ahsoka will work too. Though I'm aware that these ships are highly rejected by many people.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It isn't solely the ship that's rejected on principle. It can be the handling of it. I have come to dislike romantic pairings on the whole because many seem to deliberately seek to make them go wrong. A healthy relationship is not boring.

22. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I like healthy relationships and like some relationships that aren't the really good to get better.

I don't like Anakin and Padme's relationship handling in the PT, but I don't dismiss the pairing completely.
    It can be done better in AU fanfiction.

Sometimes a relationship can be off to a rocky start and then later on they can get better.
    I do like seeing a growth. I like to write/read some relationships(not just romantic pairings, but other types) that start out not very good but they grow over time into loving relationships. I like having a character on journey where they get better.

Some pairings though I don't think should be.
    And I do know realistically that not all relationships get better and when choosing a person to marry people should be wise in who they pick.

23. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I guess this is where I admit to be currently in the process of writing a fanfic which involves Clone Wars Era Tarkin hooking up with a young Core World Socialite, who is way younger than him.

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Sounds interesting, to say the least!

25. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    It's headcanon on mine, somewhat inspired by the the old EU Tarkin stuff.

Ewok Poet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.