main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you like Ewan McGregor's portrayal as Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AnakinSkywalkerFan_, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I agree arbed [face_peace]

2. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    in some ways i really agree, i would not say they were worlds apart however. There were moments you could convince me especially in RotS that they might just be the same actor, obviously i know they aren't. The point is that he was so good with the role that the character is very true, I was totally and completely impressed with his portrayal of obi-wan. I must admit i was not happy with the portrayal in TPM, the character was just too far from Ep4's version but the evolution and the way he handled it was awesome.

Ewan followed in the feet of a legend, he respected the legacy he was given and he added to the character. The role could not have been handled better.

3. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    He was the best choice. By far.

4. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Ewan was FANTASTIC as Obi-Wan...

All the subtle little nuances which Sir Alec gave the character, from the beard-rubs, the folding of the arms, the mannerisms...Ewan picked up on them and made them his own...

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I thought Ewan was fantastic. I don't think we could have hoped for anyone better. On top of being one the most solidly consistent actor in the PT, he also managed, by ROTS, to seamlessly blend his own Obi-Wan with Alec's. His transformation between the three films is really amazing.

6. P_Nizzle1231

P_Nizzle1231 Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2006
    ewan is great ... one of my favorite actors..... no one else would be good in that role other than him...... P-Nice 12

7. Darth_Gangsta

Darth_Gangsta Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2002
    While I think Russell Crowe is a great actor, whoever said he looks more like Alec Guiness than Ewan does is on crack -- that is just ridiculous IMO

8. Jedi_Riches

Jedi_Riches Jedi Master star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    I think Ewan asked GL for a looped film reel of all of Sir Alec's lines in the OT to help him pick up all of these subtle things. How many other actors would have been bothered with that.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Too few these days. I think it works that Obi-wan in TPM is different from AOTC and ROTS. Ties into how different Luke was from ANH to ROTJ. You can definately see how Ewan started to do the sutble things that Sir Alec did in ANH. Crossing the arms at the right time. Taking his right hand and placing it on his chin, while thinking. Even watching Ewan sitting next to Threepio and going into brood mode, which is similar to Sir Alec brooding after the destruction of Alderaan.

10. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    And his placing of his hand on his knee, when he is sat with the Kaminoans in AOTC, Sin. It's just like the way Alec does it in his homestead in ANH.

And yes, I think that Ewan was absolutely wonderful as Kenobi.
    He made my favourite character even better.

-JR :)

11. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Totally agree with u there.

That's why i appreciated Ewan so much i think, because he knew where the character would end but he had to try and incorporate some of that old character into the new fresh view we were going to get of him in the prequels. I would think TPM Obi is the one furthest away from the old Ben we knew, yet somehow u can see small trails of him there, and i dont think that's very easy to accomplish at all. :)

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Some people might disagree, but I think Ewan made the Kenobi character his own without being overshadowed by Guinesses' portrayal.

I can't imagine anyone else in the role of Young Kenobi. I think he nailed it and more.

13. Xal

Xal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2006
    Yes. I loved his portayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi. His portrayal of this character made him one of my favorite actors.

14. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I remember reading somewhere in the official SW site that Obi Wan Kenobi actually took the #1 spot as the favorite SW character after ROTS in a poll that took place.

I think that def speaks volumes about Ewan's performance :)

15. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Ewan was AWESOME!!! He was a great Obi Wan...but yeah...maybe Russell Crowe could've pulled it off...

At least ROTS would've got one Oscar if Crowe did it...since he's alway winning awesome Oscars!!![face_beatup]

16. LuvObi

LuvObi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2005
    I can totally see why he is the #1 favourite SW character. Obi-Wan is just so noble, heroic and classy. And that does speak volumes about Ewan's performance as Obi-Wan. [face_dancing]

And Russell Crowe as Obi-Wan? Nooooooooooooo. No one would be a better young Obi-Wan than Ewan.

17. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    i agree nobody can surpass Ewan

18. LeiaSkywalker4

LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Master-Fett are you playing on words? It seems you have taken a line from ROTS and changed it a little and used it to describe Ewan as Obi-Wan. Well, I would have to agree with you. He was the perfect choice. Oh dear us ladies from the Ewan fan club thread of the JCC are starting to take over here.[face_laugh]

19. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    All I can say is that after being a SW fan for 29 years, Ewan's ObiWan is my favourite character.
    Second would be Luke then a tie between Qui-Gon and Han Solo for third.

The other thing to add is that despite some ill-founded reports, I think Ewan really appreciated the role and wanted to do it to the utmost of his ability. I think he understood how huge SW is and its importance in Popular Culture and to that end he seems to have relished the part and improved upon it with each Prequel film.

The mathematical way of putting it would be Ewan+ObiWan=Cinema legend.

20. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Mary Franklin, editor of Bantha Tracks:

I never thought it possible that any character, no matter how great he looked in Jedi boots, could replace Solo as the favorite of the saga, but it's happened. The prequels really do change everything. In 1998, Insider reported the top 20 characters. Here were the top five:

5. Princess Leia
    4. Darth Vader
    3. Luke Skywalker
    2. Boba Fett
    1. Han Solo

Where was Obi-Wan Kenobi back then? In 13th place, behind Wedge Antilles and Goldenrod. We reported the top 15 characters, post-prequels, in Bantha Tracks Online. Here are the top five:

5. Yoda
    4. Han Solo
    3. Luke Skywalker
    2. Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
    1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Star Wars Insider Issue #85

21. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I just want to reiterate...Ewan was AWESOME!!! Sir Alec who? is all I gots to say about it.

22. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    The question of the thread is "Do you like Ewan McGregor's protrayal as Obi-Wan Kenobi?" Like? I LOVED it to pieces!

He grew up with SW, loved SW, and it showed. There is no one else I can even imagine portraying young Obi-Wan as well as Ewan. And Alec is his own man and did a wonderful job as ol' Ben.

23. LuvObi

LuvObi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2005
    This is a complete testament to what a great job Ewan did with the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He is now the favourite Star Wars character in that poll. Go Ewan! Go Obi-Wan! =D=

24. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    noone can say it better

25. LiteSpeed

LiteSpeed Jedi Knight star 2

May 9, 2004
    Actualy, I think he was rather average as Kenobi and remains
    the single most overated aspect of the films, although by no
    means one of their most serious problems.

Ewans an easy guy to like. Fun, easy going and laid back. Trouble
    is I think he lacks the weight and presence to pull off the role.
    He can certainly act, but that doesn't mean he can carry a film,
    which in AOTC and ROTS, given the sheer nothingness of Hayden and
    Natalies performances, he was required to do. In TPM there was
    Liam Neeson to shoulder the load, who does have that kind of
    screen presence. Thats one of the reasons I actualy think TPM was
    the best of a bad bunch.

He's just a little too lightweight, and actors personalities do come
    through in the characters they portray. Its Obi-wan Kenobi we're
    talking about here and gravitas is a vital ingredient of that character.
    Ewan doesn't ever really get that quite right IMO. I have absolutely no
    interest in whether or not he sounds or looks exactly like
    Alec Guinness if the character isn't right. Thats what matters.

To be fair to him though, the blame really has to go to Lucas for the
    horrible writing along with his apparent 'just do what I want' attitude to actors,
    because I think he could've at least pulled of a good Obiwan, if not perhaps a
    great one, given a decent script, a decent director and a decent actor playing
    Anakin to work off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.