main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you like Kylo Ren's true name?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What did you guys think of the reveal that Kylo was named Ben as a child? Personally I was surprised by this and am not the biggest fan of it but it's been growing on me. I still would've preferred if they had named him Anakin or Bail.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

2. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Ben makes no sense for a child of Han and Leia. Bail would have been much better.

I am just going to keep calling him Kylo.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  3. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I liked Ben. Luke probably suggested it as a way to honor someone who was very important to all of their lives.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  4. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I don't think it makes that much sense, given that neither Han nor Leia had much [or any] time with Obi-Wan... however, Obi-Wan Kenobi WAS Leia's only hope. So maybe it does.

Bail would have been better. I hate the idea of her naming a child Anakin (why?? she didn't know him anymore than she knew Ben Kenobi) and I've never understood people being behind that idea (I realize it happened in the old EU, but still...)

5. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I liked it a lot and thought it was the perfect name for the films. You hear just that one-syllable word coming out of Han Solo and you know what it means, the hopes and dreams his parents had for Kylo Ren, and it humanizes him. Ben Kenobi is the reason Han and Leia even got together to begin with.

The only other name that would have worked for me would have been Anakin, but with Kylo already obsessing over Vader, that's probably too on the nose. Wouldn't have been against that.

Bail is a distant third place, even though it makes total sense for Leia to want that (both Bail and Ben basically died the same day). Just because Bail Organa is so far in the past episodically for the audience to have developed an emotional connection to him. Ben, however, is a character that means something to both the audience and the characters.

OneTrueOverlord and Allana_Rey like this.
  6. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Obi-Wan was kind of the catalyst for bringing them all together, and I'm sure his significance to them would have grown after learning about his place in history and his relation to Luke and Leia's father.

It's a name I don't think would have made sense the day after Endor, but taking a step back and putting all the events of the wars into perspective, I think the name Ben would have had a lot of meaning to all of them.

Colm and Allana_Rey like this.
  7. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    "Bail Solo" doesn't have the same ring as "Ben Solo", honestly. I would have been fine with either name.

Bail is never referred to by his first name in the movies, it's always "Senator Organa". So most people wouldn't know who Bail is, unfortunately, and Han barking "BEN!" would not have the same effect.

It was a good choice.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Ben is good just cause it was used in the EU doesn't matter as that was sent to the spice mines......

9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Obi-Wan or Bail would've made more sense. I think I'd prefer Bail. Seeing badass-looking Kylo Ren and knowing his real name is Ben is ... I dunno. Almost funny.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I think it's hilarious because it's a tweak on the EU Ben Skywalker, but it makes sense to me. Leia knew Obi-Wan was very important to her family and the cause and I'm sure Han came around too.

I agree with others that Bail would have been more interesting, but I have no problems with Kylo's real name.

11. Athiest_knight

Athiest_knight Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Lando Solo or Jabba Solo.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  12. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
  13. DustingCropsBoy_

DustingCropsBoy_ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2011
    Well, Obi-Wan/Ben WAS her (real) father's best friend, a revered ally of her adoptive father, present at Leia's (and Luke's!) own birth, and with her mother when she died, so there could be some valid reasoning for Leia thinking "hmmm, Ben's a nice nameā€¦". And Han just went "sure" because why bother arguing the point? ;)

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This song makes me so sad cause I think about the Solos everytime.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Kevin Smith believe or not explain it best. They called him Ben because it was Obi-Wan/Ben who brought them all together. If it wasn't for him, the three of them would have never meet. Plus let's not forget Kenobi sacrificed himself so they could escape. That should never be forgotten.

So the reasoning makes sense. Plus Ben sounds better with Solo then Obi-Wan. :)

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  16. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    It was (sadly) about the only part of thing about the film that I hadn't been spoilt prior to seeing it ... the only criticism I have, is that it sounded so similar to "Ren" that I had to double check when Han yelled it out.

Nice (and in a way, horrible) legacy for poor Obi-wan. I am sure that had the writers gone with "Anakin", there would be a few hundred posts going on about how much they hated that name, and wouldn't "Ben" have been better.

Bail is far too obscure for the general fans to get the reference imho and I have no idea what other names they could've given him though calling him "Luke Organa-Solo" would've been an awesome, awesome fan troll :)

MattOrgana likes this.
  17. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

in all seriousness it bugged me at first cause It was Ben Skywalker in the books but it grew on me and it does roll off the tongue better i like it now

18. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Ben IS the name of the person who brought them together. He is the sole reason they're able to destroy the death star and thus defeat the Empire down the line.
    Leia may have suggested Obi-Wan, but Han could have wanted something more "down to earth".
    Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

19. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Holy cow yes.

The whole scene was awesome, but when Han Solo yelled out 'Ben' and you see Kylo stop in the foreground, it gave me chills.

I don't get the complaint about the naming of Ben by Han and Leia. Ben was a major character in ANH and played a part in introducing Han to Leia. From Han's POV, Ben was the client he took on that got him into the wonderful mess with the rebels.

I think the criticism is more reflective of people's own limitations and prejudices than it is about a perceived plot hole. It never bothered me.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  20. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I think I saw it coming. I didn't think they'd call him Jacen as that name seems random in the context of their world.

21. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Speaking as a Bail, I agree Ben was the better choice. However, I do think something completely new would have worked just as well.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Does not warrant a separate thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.