main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you like Luke and Leia being siblings?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SatineNaberrie, Nov 20, 2014.

?

Do you like Luke and Leia being twins?

1. yes

47.5%
  2. no

35.6%
  3. don't care

16.9%
  1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Since the PT was released I have appreciated the sibling idea even more as it allows one to delve even deeper into Anakin's character as we are given these two parts of himself in Luke and Leia that reflect and mirror so many of his positive and flawed qualities, thus further enriching the story and how he fulfills his destiny.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't care that they kissed. They didn't know they were siblings, and Leia was only doing it to make Han jealous, anyway. In hindsight, you can just look at it as a slightly twisted gross-out joke at Luke and Leia's expense.

And it's not like Lucas is squeamish about these sorts of things, anyway. A major part of the prequel trilogy's story is Anakin viewing his wife as a surrogate for his dead mother. Star Wars is an explicitly Oedipal story, and that extends to Luke unwittingly falling in love with a sister who's the spitting image of his mother. It's messed up, but that's life.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The problem is that the love triangle vanished when this scene was cut...

In the film itself, there is no triangle. In the film itself, Leia only kisses Luke because she's putting Han in his place regarding their earlier argument.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

There's still a triangle, because Luke clearly has feelings for her. And at the end of TESB, it's revealed that Luke and Leia have a deep, mysterious connection of some significance. The movie ends with Han out of the picture and Luke with his arm around Leia's waist. The triangle was definitely still alive.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke has feelings for Han as well, but you wouldn't think anything of it either. He never once in the film places an emphasis on Leia outside of that one scene that was cut. He always expresses concern for both Han and Leia. At the time of the film, Luke reaching out to her through the Force didn't really mean much other than that. Luke doesn't call Han because he just saw his frozen carcass being hauled away by Fett. As to putting his arm around her at the waist, he didn't.

[​IMG]

He put it around her shoulders which doesn't always mean romantic feelings.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I don't think where he puts his arm around her is that important. Luke obviously has feelings for Leia. You can't argue that. The audience was still divided about who they thought Leia would end up with, and multiple elements in TESB ensured that that remained uncertain.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not that obvious that Luke has feelings of romance for Leia, since the film never goes that. All it does is show that they're good friends. The final film never played up what that one scene did. There's nothing in the film itself that ensured anything.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

It's not obvious? Look at Luke's expression after Leia makes out with him. He's Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds, strutting out of the bedroom wearing a Hugh Hefner robe and smoking a pipe with a ****-eating grin on his face. He's ecstatic, and extremely pleased with himself.

Not to mention that he's clearly infatuated with her in A New Hope. Luke's reaction to the kiss in ESB was an obvious continuation of that character thread. It makes no sense to say that it was just dropped.

And obviously Lucas and company felt the same way, because they had discussions with each other about how to resolve the triangle in Return of the Jedi.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I don't mind them being siblings, and I agree that it adds great story potential for the post-ROTJ era, but I did think the "revelation" was clumsily handled. It could've been done better. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: they did not need to make Leia and Luke siblings to have "closure" for the love triangle. As far as I'm concerned, the debate was over by ESB. More likely, the sibling angle was added so Vader would have something to taunt Luke over to the Dark Side.

As for the ESB kiss? Yeah, it;s a little icky, but it doesn't bother me as much as it should. They didn't know, and there was never really any romantic intent there. She just did it to make Han jealous.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Yeah, I remember that - apart from being a good chuckle, it's a good reflection of how well-known it was back then (1982) that there were meant to be more movies after ROTJ. Even the most casual fans were always aware that there were once meant to be prequels, but Eps VII-IX (and the 12-part serial even more so) just sort of faded from the public memory by the 1990s.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    The mention of 2014 is hilariously eerie. :eek:[face_laugh]

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    "Luke's father is revealed to be none other than the Force itself." Ha!

13. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    She kissed luke to make Han jealous it's obvious. From the start of TESB she doesn't want Han to leave and before he's frozen she tells Han she loves him no triangle here. Even in ANH Han expresses he might have feelings for her and luke always just seemed like the he was stuck in the friendzone haha

Lobot_the_Jedi and Revious Nugo like this.
  14. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Wow. Its scary how some of those mad ideas ended up in the movies.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right and it could also be interpreted that he's smiling because Leia got the better of Han. That's why it is still ambigious.

Right, resolve it, but it was not even present in the final version of the film. What there is is really open to interpretation prior to ROTJ.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't mind it, but I think I would've preferred an OT where Leia was more involved with confronting Vader rather than being attached at the hip to Han after ANH.

mes520 and Pensivia like this.
  17. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

First off, that whole arm around her was supposed to be comforting, nothing more. Luke would have to be a grade-A jerk to put the moves on her at that point. Maybe at the beginning of ESB he still harbored a little crush, but by the end even he knows the score. And by the beginning of ROTJ it's obvious Leia loves Han (it's one of the first things she says to him!). Leia knows it, the audience knows it, even Luke probably (almost definitely) knows it. Really, the only one who seems unsure about it is Han.

Let's put it this way, if Luke hadn't been revealed to be her brother in ROTJ, does anyone think she would've turned around suddenly gone for him? I don't.

18. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I voted yes, since I like the way it adds to the saga's connections to common elements in world mythologies (one of my favorite aspects of SW as a whole). I can understand where the "too Days of Our Lives-ish" criticism of it is coming from, but it has never felt that way to me personally when watching the films. As others have mentioned, the ESB kiss doesn't really bother me because the knowledge and intent wasn't there at that moment in the story.

I'd also really like to see the importance and emotional impact of their twin connection developed as a significant story element in Ep VII.

Sarge, Yanksfan and Iron_lord like this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Luke would have to be a grade A asshat to think that he had a chance by that point.

Yanksfan likes this.
  20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think it would have worked better without them being siblings...it just wasn't needed.

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't mind it, but their kiss in ESB makes me cringe.

22. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Yes and it brings with it Lukes rage in his duel with Vader in ROTJ.

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've never been a fan if the Incredible Shrinking Universe so I voted no. The kiss is a bit of a squirm in your seat moment, but not that much of a big deal.

24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    "No. 2 in the series... Send in the Clones"

Woo woo!

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  25. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    I'm middle ground with it. It still just brings the creeps watching the kiss scene in Empire.