main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. I Love Star Wars 94

I Love Star Wars 94 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2017
    Both canon and legends are great but I favor canon more.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Those were the ones I was thinking of, as well as their ordering Dooku's assassination in Dark Disciple. Plus the Filoni commentary in which he said he intentionally "highlighted the flaws" of the Order.

That was a few too many for me.

As far as the PT, it can not be about "joy and fun" and still be entertaining to watch. And for many, it wasn't. PErsonally I enjoyed parts of it, but I take issue with any segment of any story that is intended to be a lecture.

Nobody145 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Troy Denning didn't have any problem having Luke order the assassination of a whole bunch of One Sith on Coruscant in FOTJ: Apocalypse, and painting it as a Good Thing.

Maybe it's not just the deeds themselves, but how they're painted, that matters?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    Never got the not showing friendship complaint.
    They have a real father son dynamic in AotC.
    Then RotS shows us how much they've grown together.
    Sitting in the theater in '05 and seeing how far they had come absolutely sold it for me.

All your other points are nonsense too, but the above one is something I see too often.

Jedi Princess and Daneira like this.
  5. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    You're not saying much, really.

6. Godzilla2099

Godzilla2099 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    Overall, I'm glad things got a reboot.

Pros:

- Darth Vader got his groove back: One of my favorite characters of all time. Disney is giving him the respect he deserves. (Rogue One, Rebels, Dark Lords of the Sith, and Gillen's Comic Series)

- Kylo Ren: So far I like this character. He isn't some over the top bad guy. His issues make him interesting and I was surprised he was named Ben since Kenobi was closer to Luke.

- Force Unleashed removed: Very pleased this is removed. Flat out hated this story and never liked Starkiller's Character. Too powerful. Happy to see this go bye-bye

- Luke Skywalker reboot: Another character that became too powerful.

- Mara Jade removed: Never liked the character

Cons:

- 2003 Clone Wars Cartoon not Canon: Ziro the Hutt and Gungans defeating Grievous counts but this masterpiece does not? I thought this was by far the best media representation of a Star Wars Prequel. Light years better than the movies and CGI Cartoon combined. That is the correct way you represent Grievous and Anakin

- Dark Disciple Book: Dooku and Quinlan Vos are two of my favorite characters. This book read like a chapter from Twilight than it did Star Wars and none of the characters voices sounded right. Ventress: "Vos, I love you! Don't fall to the dark side!"

7. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    Genndy Anakin is identical to PT Anakin.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    By all means, ask me what exactly you want to hear. I found the Prequels boring, the protagonists unlikable, the story poorly written, and the morality muddled. It was different from the OT but in ways which were bad while the similarities in TFA made it substantially better than the PT. I didn't dislike the Prequels but compared to the OT and TFA, they made me feel unhappy and depressed.

Ditto RO.

So what am I not making clear?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Is there anyone who thinks Luke was acting in character in FOTJ?

The Luke who brushes off assassinating the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order?

Who makes no effort to redeem any Sith?

Who finds out his nephew is in hell and brushes it off?

10. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    What about about what you're saying makes the PT bad.

11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe where he said "I found the Prequels boring, the protagonists unlikable, the story poorly written, and the morality muddled."
    Boring. Unlikable. Poorly written.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    But that's all subjective.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Whether the PT (or the OT, or the ST, or the EU) is good or bad is subjective overall. Any reasons for liking it or disliking it are going to be subjective.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The issue is, and always has been when discussing things with Point_Of_View is that he physically doesn't understand how other people can thing differently than him. The same thing happened when discussing TFA, where he couldn't accept that anyone would like the movie.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    So....is good and bad?

Art is not mathematics.

:confused:

I also don't hate the Prequels as I enjoyed many elements of them. I just don't think they're better than the OT. You can also enjoy a movie which is poorer made than another one.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Here's an idea - you want people to keep talking with you? Start using better phrasing than this.

17. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    Don't ever reply to me again.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As long as you are participating in the discussion, other people in the discussion are free to reply to you.

You can use the "ignore" function if you do not want to see his posts.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    To talk about the new canon and why THE FORCE AWAKENS is better than the previous universe, it manages to streamline what I feel was a big number of issues going on with the Legends universe.

* 30 years of peace
    * Successfully introduces new protagonists while visually showing our heroes have aged and moved on.
    * Manages to make the Imperial Remnant a serious threat without looking like our heroes dealt in half-measures.
    * Updates the racial and gender balance a bit, though Star Wars was never as bad as people sometimes claimed it was and far more responsive than most movie franchises to criticism.
    * Does a nice job integrating all of the various Prequels and spin offs into a single narrative.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Charley I agree with you on many things, but on this we will have to disagree.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You shall go to the Ignore System, there it will be ensured that we never converse again.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, you're entitled to your opinion. It's not like art is an objective science.

Presently, 14% of critics like The Orville while 90% of audiences do.

23. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Amen.

Anyway - this is all slightly off topic per OP - aren't we meant to be discussing the new canon rather than a (in my view, very tired and overplayed) complaint of the PT?
    I think readers of this thread will be put off wading through pages of discussion on why everything is "subjective". People have opinions. We respect each others opinions. What more to discuss is there?

Who has insight on the new canon comics? I have little experience on them (anything published post 2015 really) and would like a low down - worth it, how much has been published, when taken as a whole which collections have been best etc?

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't be too concerned, tangents happen but threads also tend to have self-correcting properties - if it stays off-course for too long there'll be a Mod Squad intervention too.

EDIT: Ah yes, you mentioned comics....

The first SW arc, Skywalker Strikes is a huge amount of fun and is well coordinated with the star story of the comic line to date - Vader. All 25 issues of that, including the madly fun Vader Down event are well worth reading.

Shattered Empire I like a great deal as it has Checchetto art and is one of the exceedingly few appearances of post-Jedi Luke.

Kanan is a great limited run that slots neatly into Rebels.

While the Leia, Lando and Chewie minis were entertaining.

Sadly Marvel seem to have ceased issuing the new material in OHC editions, so my interest is on hold until that happens once more.

Pacified_llama likes this.
  25. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

Honestly i've found over the last half-decade or more that I'm generally more accurately informed about how I'll like things if I treat critics score like golf (ie. Lower is better).

Basically if its not some ethical or moral commentary on a past or present social issue, its not going to get well reviewed. They seem to have forgotten that most people go to movies for entertainment rather than heavy social commentary all the time. Sure that has a place in art, it always has, but that isn't the only thing it should be either.