main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That's the thing about the Tales stories though.

Even some of the weirder ones WERE canon, or were mostly canon. Except for the obviously humor based ones, like Hate Leads to Lollipops, but even those had parts of them canonized.

No one is going to go through and individually say what is and is not canon out of each story, because that would be a waste of time and money.

2. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Because why would Lucasfilm or Disney or whoever go to the trouble to make three separate canons when stuff like Tales was so ambiguous as is? Would they slice them up and cut out the ones that they didn't think were canon?

3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm with you there. They did not. They just labeled everything that is not canon as Legends.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That does not mean that they somehow canonized everything that wasn't canon within Legends.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    They didn't bother to canonize or de-canonize anything not part of the new Canon. They just labeled it all Legends.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

6. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah. Because it largely doesnt matter. Not only would a completely seperate label confuse the system further ("So this new stuff is canon with the new movies, and Legends is canon with itself, but this other thing isn't canon with either or itself?) but with how ambiguous a lot of that stuff already was, it wasn't worth the time and effort to sort it.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It also generally didn't matter to Legends detractors whether an individual Legends story was "C-Canon" or not - going by the way Skippy is consistently brought up as a "Thing that was bad about the old EU" - the fact that the story exists at all, canon or not, seems to have got people annoyed.

8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I liked the Skippy story...in a campy, that's rediclous way. *shrugs*

I see where you're coming from, Outsourced, I just disagree.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Outsourced likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Even the newcanon seems to have done a homage to it - no force-sensitivity, but the same basic "sacrifice yourself so R2 is the one bought" plot - From A Certain Point of View collection.

10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    One of the reasons I like the new Disney stuff. Bringing ridiculous aspects of Legends in with more grounding and realism.

First Skippy, now Tag and Bink. Wonderful.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    People who don't like Skippy the Jedi Droid need to purchase a sense of humour.

Sanguinius, Talos of Atmora and Stymi like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It may be a case of not reading it themselves - only reading a somewhat maliciously literal description of it

"You know that red astromech in ANH? He's force sensitive, and does that "bad motivator" bang, on purpose so R2 can be bought. And goes on to become a hero to droids in general."

and having an instant "Yuck" reaction.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah? Are they going to buy the Brooklyn Bridge too?

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or they just read the Wookieepedia entry and didn't pay attention to any of the non-canon references.

Ewoks movies, Zahn's Outbound Flight concept of "Palpatine knowing about the upcoming Vong invasion", Traviss books, and so on - EU haters tend to bring up the same things - one of which, is Skippy.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So these guys hate the EU, but by bringing up certain ideas again and again they don't realise they're keeping it alive? [face_laugh]

ObiWanKnowsMe, Sanguinius and Stymi like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They're just doing their best to keep dislike of it alive - and pressure people into agreeing that the EU was "the worst".

It can be irritating to see, though. Basically these arguments tend to boil down to "Only TESB and maybe ANH are good Star Wars" repeated over and over.

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    *Shrug*

I like the EU.

I just don't like some of the things you mentioned.

I like what KT did to make the Mandalorians interesting, and I thought the first few RepCom novels were really good. But her insistence to make the Mandalorians the best thing in the galaxy became fairly noticeable as things went on.

Yeah, I think Palps knowing about the Vong invasion is pretty dumb.

From what I know about the Ewok movies and cartoons, they are only tangentially related to the series. It's hard to work up any actual feelings about them.

I just didn't like the Skippy story very much. I didn't find it very funny or particularly original.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Who are the EU haters? I don't think there on the lit. board. And this really is the only place I engage with SW fandom. So I'm probably pretty ignorant about that kinda thing.

Perhaps this hate, which happens elsewhere, is why the hardcore pro-EU fans here feel so accosted?

Most of the time, I see the pro-EU extremists (lol... it's funny because it fits) getting defensive about all the EU hate...and then a few people will point out, "hey, we really do like and miss the EU too."

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't see why Palpatine knowing of the Vong is controversial.
    It should never equal "Palpatine was the good guy all along". It serves only to justify the more ridiculous aspects of Imperial militarization.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The JC Community section sees a bit of EU bashing - the film sections sometimes do as well - less so though. I think there was even a Cracked column listing "10 worst things from the EU" - but it was a while back.

Other forums with Star Wars as a major topic - FFG.

An example (warning - Language slightly inappropriate for here):

https://community.fantasyflightgame...-staying-true-to-lore/?page=2#comment-2997899

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth_Duck like this.
  21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I just don't really like it. Yeah, it kind of re-contextualizes things in an interesting way, but it just serves to spread something even farther across the saga that I didn't enjoy, I.E. The Vong.

22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Oh, that's it? Ha. I really like the Vong, so seeing their position reinforced is a pro for me.

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Well, that and going back to try to give Palpatine different motives kind of peeves me, but it's mostly that I don't like the Vong wider spread than they already are.

But, to each his own.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    That's part of the problem as it warps the narrative.

To basically give an example, it's more or less finding out Hitler knew of a secret plan by Stalin to invade all of Europe and that enslave everyone under the banner of COMMUNISM.

Even if it WASN'T why he invaded everyone, it adds layers where there shouldn't be.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Indeed.

Coming full circle back around to Jedi Ben 's point concerning the portrayal of the Empire - the 'Palpatine is preparing the galaxy for the Vong' is just softening up the Imperial portrayal further.
    That's where the new canon has a strength. Call me crazy, but I always found it odd in the old EU how we could have stories about "stormtroopers" (i.e. a direct reference to Nazi troops) that weren't somehow casting them in an evil light.

Now Legends stumbled over this all the time. But where it was telling simpler stories aimed at a wider audience, it went for the "MUHAHAHAHA!" sort of villain (Malak from the KotOR series is a good example). Where it was appealing to the novels post-ROTJ fans, it tried to play to much on the formalist, culturally British element of the Empire and give the Imperials a bizarre sense of class - they tried to force admiration of Thrawn, Pellaeon etc. onto us, we were meant to respect them.

And then suddenly, it's onward to a series such as Legacy of the Force and you're back to simplistic, caricature villains again (though dressed up in a sort of pop-culture angst).

The 'Empire' never died, which it really should have - maybe the belief is that it is somehow integral to the SW experience.

So I suppose, even if you hate the new canon, you must at least admit it's being thematically consistent in of itself. The EU was a very large red herring.