main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You pretty much read the worst ones. Dark Disciple is the worst one of the NuCanon and maybe Legends as well.

Barriss_Coffee and spicer like this.
  2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm with you. I really like it. I thought the universally loved A New Dawn was boring...and I'm generally a JJM fan.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Ouch. Bad first choice for the novels.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    I think the problem is that we're all so use to Legends that when we get a new novel we expect to see the references to things made in 80s, 90s, etc. Disney just started the new canon and are trying to reconfigure it. Don't forget that we don't have all of the stories yet. In 5 years I bet we'll have loads of brand new content for all of our characters. It's just going to take some time. I know that some books seem like fillers and yeah, some of them are, but they are setting other stories up. Aftermath for an example had those interludes and I guarantee that there will be stories about those characters.

For now, we have the sequel trilogy. That means they have to focus on the original trilogy first and then start in the prequel era. Clone Wars is done so the only place left is to finish out some areas around the prequels and the Dark Times and then we'll get our Old Republic and time between 6-7.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  5. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    YES.
    I'm witnessing the creation of an entire universe... for the second time. What can be better than that???

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Gaaaaaaaaahhhhh so true. I've tried writing a couple of responses in that new Asajj Fate thread and I've had to stop because all I see is red.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Observation: You and I do different things when we see red.

I think I just realized that red means go to me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. I never read Dark Disciple because i dont like the Quinlan Vos of the new canon
    Is Dark Disciple really that bad?

kalzeth likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The New Canon has movies every single year plus regular tv shows. Even if you don't consider the novels to be quite as exciting we still have regular movies and tv shows. So yes the New Canon is awesome.

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If you like the Legends version of Quinlan Vos, then avoid this book.

11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    NO. Dark Disciple gets a lot of undeserved hate around here for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the story. It's worth picking up, spending a couple days with, and judging for yourself.

Vialco, Iron_lord and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    High quantity doesn't automatically make something awesome. I've yet to see or read anything that I would consider awesome in the new canon.
    "Well that was OK, I guess". That is the best that the new canon has made me feel.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Best post of the thread so far simply because it provided useful and thought out opinions to others.

Although, I have to admit the eloquent "It sucks" was pretty funny.

14. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I've enjoyed a lot of it, as with Legends there is some good and some poor, partly I think this is due to them being hindered until the sequel trilogy finishes. Rebels has been excellent, Rogue One is one of my top 3 SW movies - TFA could have been better in many respects but on the positive side it introduced a generation of great new characters who I'm excited to see in TLJ. Darth Vader and Dr Aphra have had good comic runs whilst the main SW book has been ok but a big thing for me being we actually get complete story arcs rather than titles being cancelled early or left hanging for months on end. In terms of novels New Dawn, Lost Stars, Bloodlines, Phasma, Battlefront Twilight Company, Catalyst, Thrawn have all been great additions in my opinion, The Aftermath trilogy had good and bad points, Dark Disciple is one of the weaker books but far from the worst SW book I've read, Heir to the Jedi and Lords of the Sith were a bit weak too. With that said I wish people who don't like it (and are entitled to their opinions) could be a bit more constructive than some of the responses here.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I wouldn't say avoid. New Canon Vos is simply a different character than Legends Vos. Take the books and characters for what they are. EU Vos was perhaps one of my favorite Star Wars characters. But I was still interested in who New Canon Vos was, even if I didn't particularly like the new Vos. I think it short sighted and self-indulgent to tell others what they should or should not avoid based on any person's opinion.
    I am strongly in the judge for yourself camp. That being said, I disagree with the story quality remark. That is my personal foremost criteria with every story. Judging it on it's own merit. I thought the story in general and the character development in particular to be sub-par. There were parts I liked. But this was not a good story, IMO. But, truly...I'm glad you enjoyed it. And above all, I think every consumer of stories should judge for themselves.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

La Calavera likes this.
  16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I liked it. It's one of the few NuCanon novels I like. The old EU was becoming pretty bad as well and I largely quit it when the awful LOTF entered the scene.

Corellian Blue and Vialco like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Adding to what spicer said, if you like Ventress as a sarcastic badass instead of a sobbing wuss, avoid this book, or only read the first six chapters (those were pretty great).

To me the entire premise of the book was that a sarcastic badass personality needs to be "fixed" by "true love," a premise I find disgusting.

18. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
  19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    One thing that I love is the attempt to add more important female/POC characters. And even female/POC Imperials. It makes things far more interesting imo.

Heck they've even taken some early steps to get some more LGBT characters in there, so good start on that as well.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought it was pretty awful. I'm not saying don't buy it -- make up your own opinion. I guess I have 3 things to say about it:

1 - I actually really liked Quinlan in TCW. I thought he was hilarious. I didn't so much care for pouty Quinlan in the old EU. This book takes angsty Quinlan to a new, low, nonsensical level. He even kills Jedi, including close friends, and the Jedi Council is like "whatevs" at the end and lets him off. Sure he didn't kill Younglings like Anakin, but he was really really bad.

2 - Ventress is... weak. She begins the book strong and her usual self, like AnakinsFan says. But she slowly becomes... really out of character. I am reminded of the time I watched The Notebook. It was not a happy experience. But if that's your thing, you'll like the romance.

3 - The two heroes aside, a lot of the rest of the story isn't bad. There are elements of awesome under the surface. Ventress's perpetual hatred of Dooku. The fanciful Nightsister magic. Some of the action/chase scenes, which usually put me to sleep in most books but here they were often in unique settings, like a fancy party. That could be because they were adapted from the episodes that never aired.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I still want Ventress' costume from that party, the one in the concept art.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I do like it, but there is quite a bit to keep up with. For instance, I saw a review of Phasma this morning on Amazon that said it wasn't good (whether it's good or not is neither here or there for this thread) but that you almost need to read it to make the connections that may come in the future. Have I got everything? No. It's too expensive so I pick and choose based on reviews and if something is needed I may go back. I did find Catalyst helpful in getting R1 however. The Journey to... series are okay, I read some of them after TFA and didn't think they added much so I think those are money grabs but from what I've read I've liked.

Diego Lucas likes this.
  23. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    TFA is the one biggest single offender for me. So even if one day I wanted to give 'nu-eu' a chance, It'd mean I'd be forced to acknowledge and legitimize 'The Force Awakens' as an actual piece of the canon. I simply cannot do that. Not just out of respect for Star Wars, but out of respect for nice things in general.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scene after scene after scene.. This movie gave me and a lot of other people a very easy way out. It's just too convenient, I don't buy it. [face_thinking]

ezekiel22x, Abadacus, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, the very first books I read after the Disney takeover was the first issues of Vader comics and A New Dawn. And that was a pretty damn good start, made me all hyped up for what’s to come.

I also thought that Hera and Kanan were better written in the book than in Rebels. I mean, I remember Hera had at least a semblance of a character journey of her own, but in the show she is way too often pushed to merely supporting role.

As for Kylo Ren, it’s not the character itself that bothers me, it’s the concept “Han and Leia have only one child. That child joins a terrorist faction that destroys everything that Leia accomplished in the New Republic and kills her husband.”
    Man, this is just horrible. And as a sequel to Leia’s story from the OT, as well as the way she was handled in TFA (as virtually a non-player in a story that should’ve impacted her more than anyone else in that goddamn movie), it feels bizarrely tone-deaf.

That is really main problem with the book. Ventress was a wonderful character in TCW and they just butchered it for a story that was neither original nor compellingly written, and hinged on some of the most obnoxiously overused tropes.

Not just WOC, important POC in general.

Or just important characters that don’t look or talk like your typical Hollywood American hero or heroine.

I think I said this before but after Rogue One, one of the topics of conversations that persisted was the noticeably foreign accent of the English-speaking cast. While it’s no longer a complete rarity in nowadays American TV shows, it was still simultaneously weird and amazing to watch a Star Wars movie where a good chunk of the important heroes looked and talked closer like us. It makes Star Wars feel less like a American/British space fantasy and more Worldwide space fantasy.

I mean, we were always perfectly fine with Star Wars being a predominantly white (and male) American/British space fantasy, but there is an inexplicable joy in watching the franchise we fell in love in childhood evolving to embrace more heroes and villains that feel like they also come from our far-from-the-US/UK-realities. There is an added familiarity to it and a feeling that we could also be an important character in the GFFA, even if we’re not white, male, British or American.

It's one thing that the NEU has over the Legends: the default thinking in creating new heroes is less and less "white, unless he's an alien" and more and more "well, why not cast a black person for this main hero role?" or "Hey this hero(ine) is also a gay/bi person, because why not."

Abadacus, starfish, DarkEagle and 3 others like this.
  25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

What, you don't think
    is very constructive? ;)

Though I wouldn't go so far as to say TFA is awful, I have a lot problems with it (well, really only one big problem: it's insistence on going back to the status quo). But really of all the scenes you could choose as an example of why TFA is bad, THOSE are the scenes you picked? The "traitor" scene, an angry character being angry, and a sarcastic character being sarcastic? THAT'S why it's so terrible you can't acknowledge it as canon?

Anyway there's always gonna be stuff that you don't acknowledge in your personal head canon. I know some people just straight out refuse to acknowledge the Prequels. And with Legends I always refused to acknowledge clone Palpatine and LOTF (forget Jar Jar, THAT'S the worse thing to ever happen to Star Wars).

I had a point, here, but I can't remember what it was. [face_dunno] It was probably something like "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater". Also that this is nothing new, since there are "Things that have Ruined Star Wars Forever!" in the past, and "Things that will undoubtedly Ruin Star Wars Forever!" in the future".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Ruined_FOREVER

Stymi likes this.