main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'd like to argue that Solo honestly is more of a fandom uniter or at least maybe tries to be...I mean it has.

Prequel References

TCW references (One really big one)

Legends references (Pre-Thrawn trilogy references)

and tiny nods to some of the classic Solo stories.

It honestly pulls for a lot of the old EU stuff and other sources then the last three Star Wars films combined.. and it still underperformed. Granted that was more bad marketing and a May release. But still.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

(Sorry of the double post but I couldn't edit it)

One thing I do like about the New Canon is the cohesion....Not necessarily in terms of quality of the projects or the individual stories but the broad swafts of ideas, themes, history.

The hindsight of the Prequel Trilogy and how it can this time effect the Sequel Era from the start.

How TCW can fit in nicer with the Clone Wars without completely contradicting a bunch of stuff that came before.

How they can be a bit more cohesive on how things/characters and what not are portrayed and can all for the most part fit in one universe.

IDK it feel like one universe with everything been looked and approved over by the StoryGroup. Not that the old EU didn't do that too but things happened as time passed and what not. Plus with no oversight from George retcons did happen. And while some Retcons will probably happen too there hasn't been anything too grave or massive....Yet.

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    "very easily". Yeah. Sure. That one run on sentence has several retcons that force Legends to match New Canon like someone taking a scissors to a jigsaw puzzle to make it fit. But hey, they showed Darth Maul in Solo after all, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm wrong and they could have made a Sequel Trilogy that was compatible with the Legends continuity. I'm not going to harp on that point, because there's a lot I want to dissect in your next paragraph.

Let's pretend for a moment that I agree with you that the ST should have continued the Legends continuity. On what basis can you possibly claim that this move wouldn't divide/fracture the fan base? After all there are many parts of the Legends continuity that are controversial among fans. Some fans even thought the whole thing was rubbish and saw the canon reboot as a fresh slate. Not to mention your above proposal still has Luke giving up on the Jedi, which was part of what made TLJ so divisive. So what makes you think that if the ST continued Legends, that this move would be universally accepted amongst fandom and not cause any divides whatsoever? It kind of seems like you're saying "If the franchise had gone in the direction **I** wanted it to go in, then everything would have turned out perfectly and fans would never fight about anything ever again"

Also, "The future of the franchise"? There's a satirical Wookieepedia page called "Ruined Forever". It has a list of "things that have ruined Star Wars in the past" and "things that will undoubtedly ruin Star Wars forever in the future". That page also sarcastically states "Fans realize something Lucasfilm Ltd. does not, that robust 38-year-old billion-dollar franchises, while seemingly healthy, are in actuality as fragile as two bricks tied together with tissue paper. One mistake, one bad mis-step will cause the entire thing to shatter and fall apart; and Star Wars would be ruined forever." That sarcasm pretty much sums up my opinion.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. You're comparing a movie adaptation of a book series to a movie continuation of another series of movies made decades earlier. You're also comparing two books of backstory to at least dozens of books of backstory.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Tolkien's Silmarillion is, if you read the History of Middle Earth series, Unfinished Tales, Story of Beren and Luthien, Fall of Gondolin, and more actually really dozens of books of backstory, not one book.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Not really.......

Some of its ok.

I am just pissed the three out the good stuff of the old EU along with the bad.

The biggest insult was replacing good books that showed post Return of the Jedi era with the abomination that is aftermath.
    The terrible wibbly wobbly writing aside I find the idea that the Empire fell in one year pretty boring and contrived compared to the old EU where the Empire took just over a decade to die with various warlord factions fighting away.

Replacing X-wing and Zahn trilogy with aftermath was a insult.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh my god @crazyewok what is your beef with Aftermath? You literally said you only read one chapter of it then just read the wookie synopsis.

If you're gonna keep bringing up how much you hate the books, then at least read them first instead of saying "I hate this trilogy because of the one chapter I read."

RavagerFish likes this.
  7. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Why are you so bothered I don't like the book? Why stalk my posts for aftermath critism?

Seriously?

If you liked the book, good for you.

But I find the book insulting that they threw out lots of good storys for that.

My opinions.

JediBatman and kalzeth like this.
  8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't stalk your posts for aftermath criticism.

You just post it EVERYWHERE.

And it's not so much criticism as it is saying, "This book is awful" on repeat. Yeah, you're free to like and dislike whatever you want, but I'm also free to say that your opinion is uninformed.

DarthJaceus, RavagerFish and Stymi like this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Also, they didn't "throw out" stories for Aftermath. They "threw out" those stories to stop the sequels contradicting the hell out of them. Aftermath wasn't ever intended to replace the Thrawn Trilogy. It's just a new set of stories.

10. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    This need not need to throw out the EU work up to 12 ABY. It still would of worked for TFA. Only the NJO stuff they had to cut.
    Nothing in the X-wing or thrawn would of had any baring on the new films.

And if they are going to throw those storys out at least replace it with a fun interesting story that's just as good as what comes before it, and write it decently.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    G
    "Wibbity wobbly"
    "Space diapers"

And all the other silly phrases.

The fact. It was. Written like. Donald trumps. Twitter feed. With ridiculously short sentences.

The second person tense was also jarring.

I think my critisms are well informed. There is a reason the book got trashed in the reviews and no it was not because of any "anti gay" agenda. Only 1 out of every ten bad reviews even mentioned gays being a problem, the rest disliked it for the reasons I described.

Sure they should of given Chuck a starwars book, a stand alone book maybe. Not the first major book trilogy post RJT. They should of given that to a more established starwars auther.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  12. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Better to remove all of it than to pick and choose. And up to 12 ABY wouldn't work anyway, because Jacen and Jaina were born in 9 ABY. Tatooine Ghost would be out too, because Leia and Han are only just thinking about having kids in that, but Ben Solo would have been born three years previously... and so on, and so on. It'd be a colossal mess of retcons regardless of which stories were randomly kept. It's all interlinked, so better to shift all of it into its own timeline, safe and sound, rather than having it be trampled over by new stories.

It isn't second-person tense. That would be calling the reader "you" and involving them in the story. You're mistaking that for present tense, which is what the books are written in.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  13. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    I hardly think changing Ben's name to jacen and giving him a twin sister ( that could of been killed by him before the film) would of been strenuous on the writers. That hardly rewrites TFA or adds any restrictions except the name haven rather than Ben......hardly a big deal.

(
    Forgive me, present tense. Either way the tense is jarring and horrid to read.

kalzeth likes this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    So Jacen and Jaina exist in stories for three years, then everything after that point featuring them is non-canon? That doesn't work, and you're missing my point anyway. There would be far more contradictions than just that one, and trying to pick and choose individual stories to keep in canon from the past forty years would be an utter mess, and incomprehensible to the general audience. People already have trouble working out what's canon and what isn't. Lucasfilm made absolutely the best decision to save Legends from needless retcons.

How familiar are you with present-tense writing in novels?

15. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Doesn't really matter how familiar.
    I am familiar enough to know I am not a fan of it.

At 30 years of age I read purely for my own enjoyment.
    I don't force styles of writing down I don't enjoy, I did that at school 14 years ago and those days are long past me.

It's also why I think Wendig should of been given a standalone book rather than the main trilogy in the Nu cannon. In a standalone book more experimentation would be ok as if the books disliked it does not cause as much damage.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well some evidence about Disney fragmenting the fandom....It would have happened either way i feel.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    No stories needed to be "thrown out". The ST could've taken place in its own canon. After all we still get new Marvel comics while the MCU does its own thing.

darklordoftech, kalzeth and spicer like this.
  18. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Now I like the new canon. It's very cohesive even if there doesn't seem like a lot of world building at times like TLJ. One thing that I feel is awkward is The Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith. I don't feel like the two seem to add up. Now granted, Maul, Ashoka, and other things were not mentioned because ROTS came first.

I was reading the Dark Horse comics the other day and that felt more attuned to what ROTS was conveying. I don't know. I don't want any of the movies remade with the new canon, but I wished they all felt more put together so to speak.

19. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Isn't... that what we got? Two separate continuities, with the six Lucas films and TCW being the only things canon to both.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    One continuity is hardly continuing.

spicer likes this.
  21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I really don't like the Aftermath trilogy and I forced myself through all three.

crazyewok and kalzeth like this.
  22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    ...And?

My issue isn't that he doesn't like Aftermath.

My issue is that he not only goes around talking about how awful they are and how much he doesn't like them, but he does so without having read any of them to completion.

23. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Why should I continue reading a book in which I find the writing style terrible?

And why on earth would I buy more books from that author?

You seem to have taken this personally, your not Chuck Wendig? If so sorry mate, nothing personal, I just don't like choppy sentences, present tense writing and some of the anachronisms [face_dunno]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Xander Vos, JediBatman and kalzeth like this.
  24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    After Chewie is found alive, Jaina as Kira Ren would kill Ben Skywalker as her first step to the Dark Side, and Luke disbanding the Jedi and going to hiding in grief could have given us the same ST we are getting now. This could have worked.

To say this would have confused the general audience would be like saying that the general audience of Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek the Wrath of Khan would have been confused without wiping out the 60s show that was off the air for a decade; and the movies should have been flops because this didn't happen. They were not flops. If anything, Wrath of Khan which relied even more heavily on geeky Trek knowledge was a massive hit.

Star Trek got 2 entire trilogies of in-continuity stories out of the original cast without overblown worries if the audience saw 79 episodes, or 3 years, of television. Their creativity was not hampered in any way and we got fine movies out of them (well maybe not number 5 :p ). The fears that one Star Wars trilogy can't manage staying in continuity are overblown.

Star Trek Into Darkness, which heavily relies on knowing who Khan Noonien Singh is, was a massive hit in China, a country that traditionally has little Trek exposure (and which SW hasn't made much inroads in). If China can live with throwaway lines about Khan, the world general audience could have lived with throwaway lines about Jaina and the Vong Wars (which would be a mirroring of ANH's mentions of Clone Wars that no one knew anything about back in 1977).

X-Men #1 by Jim Lee and Chris Claremont in 1991 is still the best selling comic book of all time, despite having 30 years of unrebooted canon preceding it. If a work is good, the audience is ok if there are years of backstory behind it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee, kalzeth and crazyewok like this.
  25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't take it personally. Hell, I don't really like the first Aftermath book. What I do have an issue with is you continually trashing things you haven't actually read. @Xander Vos didn't like them, but he did read them all, so I take any criticism of them from him with some weight. But you read one chapter of one of the books and run around acting like the books personally assaulted you. It's ridiculous.

jasonfry and vncredleader like this.