main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Agreed. I've really enjoyed a lot of the YA stuff. Hell, Lost Stars it technically YA, and is one of my favorite SW novels.

JediBatman, Jedi Ben and Stymi like this.
  2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

Really? I loved Revan. It really showed how Revan was in his time “the Chosen One” and his influence on Lord Scourge was delightful.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yeah. Didn't do much for me. I'd also say middle of the road. Some good parts I liked.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    The comics have hit me as a lot better than the books, although the comics haven't hit the heights of Dark Horse's Clone Wars run. The books are a lot iffier, but they are handicapped by the fact that they can't don't anything like The New Jedi Order and, thus, come across as "lesser" since the films appear to be unending now. I would love it if they took a chance and placed a book far in the future or far in the past and really let loose with a story.

The games have, by far, been the worst of the new canon.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I agree the novels haven't been very good, but there have some been some bright spots like Thrawn and Claudia Grey's Leia books. For the most part I've enjoyed the comics, especially the Vader ones.

6. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    Vader's comics are the best

kalzeth likes this.
  7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I like some of the novels and dislike others, so same as with the old canon.

With comics, so far I'm very disappointed. With the exception of the Darth Vader series and few issues here and there from other series (mainly Poe Dameron), the rest has nothing on what DH produced during its best years. I want things like Legacy, KOTOR, Republic, Obsession, Rogue Squadron, Dark Times, Crimson Empire, etc.

And video games are almost non-existent. I don't care about phone or tablet games, so there's only Battlefront I and II for me. Again, I want games like KOTOR, Republic Commando, X-Wing and TIE Fighter, Empire at War, Jedi Knight series and the original Battlefront 2.

8. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    don't worry where getting a new video game in the works

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, until its cancelled anyway, since EA is doing such a good job with the Star Wars license. :p

To be fair, while I wish we could get something like KotOR or Legacy again, I know the nu-EU is still way too young for that kind of thing (there's not even much going on the prequel era, not that I miss that era much, not after all the focus its had for the last decade). I do wish we could have had something like Republic or Rogue Squadron though (the Poe series kind of comes close to that, but less interesting), but the comics aren't that daring, unfortunately.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    I still have some cognitive dissonance on Leia, particularly from listening to the TLJ audiobook, and hearing the same voice actor doing a totally different voice(and her having such a different personality from the old Leia). Luke and Han not so much. Although all three are much more serious, more depressed, etc, than the old canon. This feeling comes from Bloodline, TFA novelization(and the aforementioned TLJ audible edition).

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    lets hope not i really want the game

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Yeah I can see that Leia's changes from the EU to the NU are drastic,

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    I'm shock they didn't get depressed in legends with two of there sons dead

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I actually find Leia the most similar to her Legends counterpart.

15. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Well i love darth vader in new canon better the legends as he's much more powerful and the fact that not that many jedi if barely any besides obi-wan and yoda survived the purge in new canon showing just how much have a threat he's truely is

16. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Apart from Kanan, Asohka, the main character of the new video game, and a handful of other characters.

17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Currently, in the New Canon, there are only fifteen surviving Jedi, including the upcoming protagonist.

Master Kirak Infil'a
    Master Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Master Jocasta Nu
    Master Luminara Unduli
    Master Uvell
    Master Quinlan Vos (Presumed)

Master Yoda
    Padawan Ferren Barr
    Padawan Caleb Dume/Kanan Jarrus
    Former Padawan Ahsoka Tano
    Zubain Ankonori
    Khandra
    Mususiel
    Nuhj

Out of these people, all the ones marked in red were killed by Vader or the Inquisitors less than one year after RotJ. The ones marked in yellow were killed before A New Hope. The ones marked in green lived during or past A New Hope. The ones marked in Blue are unknown.

For context, in Legends, more Jedi survived and joined the Rebel Alliance. Vader's Legends kill count is definitely higher, but there were way more survivors of the Purge. Over 150 at least. And a lot of them fought during and after the Galactic Civil War.

So, I guess it kind of balances out? Vader's personally killed less Jedi in the new canon than in legends, but Order 66 seems to have been a lot more effective than it was in Legends. I don't really agree with the sentiment that Vader is way more powerful than when he was shown in comics like Purge though. Vader's always been really powerful.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I think we ended up with a 200 Jedi figure, for Legends. Out of 7,000. Not bad, still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediBatman, spicer and Outsourced like this.
  19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Only a large portion of those that did survive the Purge in Legends were killed in the first few months.

JediBatman and kalzeth like this.
  20. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Well i wasn't saying that was the only rrason he's more powerful if you read the 2015 Vader comics they so you how powerful Vader turely is and well his kill count higher legends that mostly because it much older then new canon we don't know how many jedi survived in order 66 in new eu but we know a ton were killed in the purge. Also what i like about new eu is the order 66 survivors don't constainly escape vader i'm looking at you dass and jax.

Also you don't have god-mode Starkiller anymore making the only person more powerful the vader is Luke

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Ugh, I agree about Jax Pavan. Him escaping Vader again and again was very annoying to me. However, when it comes to Dass Jennir, remember - Dass never, ever encountered Vader. Vader almost caught Dass once after aproximately one month of looking for him actively and failed without even being in the same room at the same time with the Jedi. The situation between Dass & Vader and Jax & Vader is not similar at all.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    You leave Jax alone! Lol.

In that same vein, Kanan and Ezra. He should have easily destroyed them. And if they somehow lived continue after them like an unrelenting horror story monster until they were dead.

But instead they are left almost exclusively to Thrawn because he's such a genius.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Nobody145, kalzeth and spicer like this.
  23. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    oh sorry i froget Dass never froght Vader. I guess i got confused sorry
    But yeahnJax was getting annoying theres being lucky like dass and theres i don't want my character to die
    unlike Jax in there first ecounter Vader merely let them live to follow them back tot he base ship and then he found out ashoka was alive and wanted to see if she chould lead him to more jedi including obi-wan
    After that he only encounters them in season 2 finale and was clearly going to kill ezra onlu if ashoka hadn't stop him as he was no longer useful

Jax on the other hand Vader got the boy he wanted but no wanted to lore jax out first

Also i enjoy a lot of the order 66 survivors in legends and so far i enjoy the new canon ones as well. i think what makes me mad is that there were a lot of jedi fates that were never reveal. Also thats way in my personal canon the purge one shorts, the first half of dark times comics, Coursent nights and the last jedi book series take place in the current Vader comics series time skip

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  24. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    It's almost as if Legends existed for longer and therefore had more scope to create more stories set during the Dark Times.

25. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    thats what i ment in my one post before that new canon is still new to the jedi survivors of order 66 and we still have a lot of dark times that are still unexplored

For one i hear in new canon there were 10 jedi on a plant hiding in a castle that vader found and froght and Vader single handly killed them all i really want that explored and see that story