main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you miss SW:Galaxies?.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by King Terak, Sep 11, 2013.

1. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Aside from the load of probs it had, I loved just cruising around planets on different vehicles.

2. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    I remember buying the SWG collector's edition at launch before it came available in the UK. Perhaps my first collector's edition of anything. I loved the **** out that game. Like you, I just loved exploring the Star Wars world. The grindy-MMO aspect of the game was the least appealing part, although I thoroughly enjoyed that part for the space stuff. My God that Jump to Lightspeed expansion was the freaking bee's knees. Flying from planet to planet, the combat, everything.

Then at some point they changed everything with that update, you know the one, and I called it quits.

So to answer your question, yes. Yes I do. Old SWG, specifically.

LAJ edit - that word has to be totally asterisked.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, I never got to play it. I was hyped like mad about it, but at that time there was no way of getting it and paying the subscription where I lived. Plus I was stuck on a dial up.
    It is one of the bigger regrets of my gaming career.

4. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    YES. I miss the hell out of this game. Crafting, decorating, making cities with your guilds, theme park missions like The Emperor's Retreat, the space combat. I loved everything about the game. I have a folder on my computer with hundreds of screenshots that make me all nostalgic when I look though them.

I've always said that it was just as good gameplay wise as it ever was when it died, it just took them so long to add more features to the bare-boned NGE that no one stuck around.

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Never got to play it. :(

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I occasionally dabble with SWGemu, haven't been on it in a while though.

But yes, I do miss the hell out of that game. I was in a Wookiee guild on Starsider and I was our Weaponsmith/businesswook. My bank account had close to half a billion credits in it when I last played on the SOE servers.

And the NGE was a farce. Somebody needed to be dragged out into the street and shot for that.

7. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    what is the SWGemu like?, I haven't read a lot of opinions on it, and don't want to purchase the discs until then.

8. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

Is this worth getting? I never got to play the game when it was around, I always wish I had.

9. SuperBoba

SuperBoba Jedi Knight

Sep 11, 2013
    thebeanpole

I wasn't a fan of SWGemu, though I did like ProjectSWG but it's more of a beta at the moment, last time I played there was only 1 Planet and it was PvP only, but I'm sure when it is complete it will be a lot better then SWGemu. http://www.projectswg.com/cmps_index.php <--- Link.

thebeanpole likes this.
  10. thebeanpole

Aug 11, 2013
    Cool, thanks for the info maybe I'll try it out at some point in the near future.

11. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Thoroughly.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a good game, I get some of the anger at the changes but it was still a good game even after that.
    Shame it went away, TOR is good but it's nothing like as open as Galaxies was. I had a house, several starships, pets and a whole bunch of different weapons ranging from melee up to big heavy blaster cannons.

13. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    It has been a while since I had played, but all planets were in, vehicles worked, MOBs aggro'd and all but Droid Engineer and Creature Handler were in place and those two professions were in the works due to coding issues surrounding animal and droid behavior. I believe JTL is also being worked on too with some of it already in place. I keep meaning to get back into it but work has kept me pretty busy as of late.

14. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    Before the expansion packs, the game was amazing. I miss it like I miss other things of my childhood.

15. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    A few of my screenshots from back in the day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The expansions were fine, the space one especially because the combat was great.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sure do, both pre and post-CU/NGE. Hopefully ProjectSWG brings that "galaxy" back.

18. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    It is pretty far along. It has all the worlds, PVP and most everything in it save for a few professions (Droid Engineer and Creature Handler, most notably) but it is the furthest along of all the SWG emulators and has the largest player base.

I should also point out that SWGemu is an emulator of the original version of SWG which had over 30 classes/professions. The other one linked here is a remake of a later version which has 9 classes/professions and was widely unpopular with the longtime players of SWG.

19. thebeanpole

Aug 11, 2013
    This game looks like it was so good! I think it will go down as one of the greatest regrets in my (rather limited) gaming career that I never played it.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I played before NGE, i.e. before you could run around like a retarded child playing a Jedi like a chump and would love to go back to that.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Introducing Jedi made no sense, the game was supposed to be set between ANH & ESB when the Jedi were pretty much gone. I liked Galaxies exactly because you could play as something other than a Jedi unlike in pretty much every other game.

But that isn't to say I didn't like the changes to the game aside from Jedi. Yes it was annoying at first when such a big overhaul messed up what you had done with your character, but I played it right up untilthe end and it was still entertaining to do everything (and in some ways simplified with the interface changes).

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    For those of us pilots:

23. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I got the game a while back, but never actually played it. Never had a rig worth playing it on until the game was overhauled so extremely, much to the dissatisfaction of the player base. Over the last few years (after hearing about SWGemu) I've considered jumping into it. But right now I'm playing TOR. Just finished Starcraft II (until Legacy of the Void is released), and I'm awaiting GTA V...which is tomorrow. Maybe this winter I'll give the emu a go.

24. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Then SWGemu would probably be what you want. They don't even HAVE Jedi implemented yet (as far as I know anyway) and so you can do anything you like that isn't Jedi related. The whole Jedi-in-a-box thing killed SWG for me. I could sorta live with the CU, but the pre-CU version was by and large the widest range of gameplay I had ever seen in a game. I had a co-worker who got it and then brought it back to the store the next day as he couldn't handle something without an endgame to try and attain. He just powerground his games and then left them but pre-CU SWG was just too much for him to handle.

25. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    I enjoyed doing The Village quests and the idea of the 'Force Sensitive' skill tree before becoming a full Jedi. My main guildie and I hammered it out like no other when the NGE was announced trying to finish it. We'd been working on it for months before that too.

He made it and was an Elder Jedi in the NGE, I was maybe a couple weeks short. :(