Do you or does anybody you know use dollar coins?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Aytee-Aytee, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Master

star 7
    Like 2 dollar bills, I enjoy using them to mind**** pimply-faced cashiers at fast food chains.
  2. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    The metrocard machine sometimes will give me dollar coins. It's the only time I use them.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I propose a ban on nickels.
  4. Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master

star 6
    I used a nickle today. I was extremely surprised.
  5. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Nickels and dimes irritated me very much when I first came to USA. I mean, is it really that hard to put the numerical value on a coin??? At least with "quarter" you can easily deduce the value of the coin, but how the hell am I supposed to guess the value of a nickel or a dime without reading up on it first? Gah.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    The nickel says "five cents" on it. It's only the dime that says "one dime." That said, the term dime comes from old French or something for a tenth, so don't blame us. :p
  7. tom Force Ghost

star 6
    nickels do say "five cents" on them, but i suppose i can understand your frustration with dimes. though it seems like the first time you got one it would take about 5 seconds to ask the person who gave it to you what it was worth, but maybe you had one of those socially awkward moments where you thought that would be a really stupid question. maybe you thought, "hey i was just given change and since all the other coins have their monetary values on them i can use my powers of deduction to figure this out!" but then when you got back to your hotel those powers somehow failed you and you found yourself in a state of bewildered consternation, staring at dwight eisenhower's bald head and gradually filling with rage. "what is this coin worth?! five dollars?! twenty dollars?! i don't know! why didn't i read up on this first?! gah!" i can totally see it, and i'm sorry you had to go through that.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    It's FDR on the dime, not Eisenhower. :p
  9. tom Force Ghost

star 6
    lol well dimes are very confusing

edit: i should have read up on them first
  10. Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master

star 6
    Canadian dimes win! They say 10 cents! :p
  11. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, but they're actually worth like 2 cents.
  12. Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master

star 6
  13. darthhelinith Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah, I try to save my pound coins as well, as in our laundrette at university the machines are £2 per wash (£1 dry). Whats most painfully annoying about the machines is that they don't take £2 coins. I haven't found many vending machines that take them either.
  14. Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master

star 5
    The French word is dîme, meaning "Tithe".

And I'm not sure why the dime never had its actual amount on there...since colonial days, it has always said "One Dime".
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    There we go, then. No excuses, Maria, it's a European term. :p
  16. wannasee Jedi Master

star 4
    I was going to comment on how I remembered when this coin was released, and how Sacajawea didn't seem so young to me then. I was going to follow this up with a *sighs*.

But then I realized that this is not a picture of the coin (coins don't have black eyes), that she looks older on the actual coin (harsh features), and now I feel somewhat better about things.

That is all.

17. Alpha-Red Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Eh, how hard can it be to find out? There's only four major coins we use, a one cent, five cent, ten cent, and 25 cent piece. If you're confused you can always ask someone (though they might look at you funny) and it shouldn't be hard to remember.
  18. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 6
    I don't use them but I have a bunch of the JFK half-dollar coins. The Boston T also gives out the dollar coins as change. The only time I've ever given someone these coins for change was when I was all out of one dollar bills since it was a busy day at the market.
  19. duende Jedi Master

star 5
    those old eisenhower dollar coins were awesome. they were bagel-sized and if you threw one at a kid's head you could count on it resulting in concussion or, if you were lucky, instant death.

ah, so many memories!
  20. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Anything less than a $5 note isn't worth carrying. I only ever see coins in change, and just save them up in a jar. 90% of my transactions are eftpos anyway.
  21. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I find the UK 5 pence coin irritating. It's about the size of a US dime and just clutters up my change pocket. That and the 1 and 2 pence coins go into a jar for eventual redemption in the CoinStar machine at the local Sainsburys.
  22. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    $1 coins turn up from time to time from Post Office vending machines. And when I visit NYC, and have to buy Subway tickets.

They're OK, and there's some other image besides Sacajawea on some of them.

Whenever possible, I spend them the same place I got them. It only makes sense that something that fundamentally useless should be used when dealing with a government agency.
  23. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I've actually got a bunch of the old US silver coins. I worked as a bank teller in the US in the '70s and you could still find them in the coin shipments. Our manager didn't mind us looking as long as it was off-hours and we re-wrapped the coins afterwards. Most are dimes, quarters, and halfs but I do have a Franklin dollar from 1976 and two old dollars from 1885 and 1890. And I also have a 2000 Sacajawea dollar coin.
  24. morrison85 Jedi Master

star 5
    I orefer coins. much easier to use in vending machines and do't get lost so easily.
  25. TheModFavorite Jedi Master

star 4
    strippers don't like the $1 coins. i found out the hard way. :(