main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you prefer a lighter or darker SW film?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by YodaYodaBinks, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaYodaBinks

YodaYodaBinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    The Dark Side of the Force may be more powerful than many believe. What's the explanation for ESB being the fave SW film (for many, atleast) in the OT? And I think it's safe to say many SW fans loved AOTC, definitely much darker than TPM. So, what do you prefer more? A darker or lighter, upbeat SW film?

IMHO:

dark SW films: ESB, AOTC
    light SW films: ROTJ, TPM
    in the middle: ANH
    likely to be REALLY dark: Episode III (and lots of folks are looking forward to it, no coincidence)

2. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Darker is better.

A lot of the time, the "lighter" Star Wars can be really cheesey (not that there is anything wrong with that ;) ).

A lot of Star Wars fans like the bad guys....I wonder why... :p

3. Dark-Vador

Dark-Vador Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    Hmm, I prefer darker ones, even though my overall favourite one is ROTJ. But to an extent I think all of them contain their dark moments that make up our most 'favourite' bits of the movie.

e.g.
    TPM: The Sith seemed pretty dark
    AOTC: A lot of it, esp towards the end, but it did have a lot of 'bright moments' as well
    ANH: I thought this one was the most bright of them all.. The only dark thing IMO was Ben's death.
    ESB: A lot of it (overall)
    ROTJ: Vader vs Luke & Palpatine

All in all, I'd have to say darker, although there has to be a good balance between the light and dark :p but like I said, all of them have their dark moments.

4. tarbabyorg

tarbabyorg Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    i would have to say that i would like to see a really dark one on the last of the movies. to me, the darkest of the OT would be ANH. i have the OT on DVD (not the special edition versions mind you) and ANH is by far the darkest. i believe ESB is a mix of the two and ROTJ is mostly light (ewoks?)

i am really looking forward to seeing the transformation of anakin to darth vader and how the emperor transforms him.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I prefer it lighter... for instance, I like ANH the best, and I like ROTJ better than ESB...

// waits to be flamed

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    What's the explanation for ESB being the fave SW film (for many, atleast) in the OT?

Personally, one word: Vader.

I like it when the bad guys win. What can I say...I've always been pro-villian. ;)

However, I also like TPM and ROTJ...

7. SithLord127

SithLord127 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2002
    I prefer darker SW films.

Oh and I disagree about ROTJ being a lighter film, only until the end ROTJ is quite possibly the darkest film yet. When Luke enters Palpatine's throne room, that is totally dark, and so is the duel with Luke and Vader. All the crap with the Ewoks and stuff is on the side, I don't even count that, the main part of ROTJ is Luke/Vader/Palpatine and that is super dark.

Dark SW films: AOTC, ESB and ROTJ
    Light SW films: TPM and ANH.

8. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    DARKER!!
    That means more evil Characters
    That means more Palpatine screentime
    That means more Ian McDiarmid's wonderful acting !

[face_love] [face_love]

9. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Well my two favourites are AOTC and ESB, but some of my favourite elements of those films are the lighter parts (Coruscant Chase, Yoda's introduction). And I could watch ANH, ROTJ, and TPM more often than ESB. So I'm undecided :p

10. SithLord127

Oct 19, 2002
    AOTC is my PT fav and ESB is my OT fave as well Slave2.

11. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    in ot, return of the jedi was and still is my favorite film. there were dark moments but the entire film wasn't depressing or anything.

but in pt, of all the three films i am looking forward to seeing episode iii b/c i feel that will be the ultimate sw film. we get to see anakin became a bad@ss, slaughter a lot of people and eventually, the empire will come into exitance and the will jedi die.

and it'll hopefully answer the question, which twin is older? luke or leia?

12. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Hmm..I'd have to say that I tend to prefer the darker SW films. It would be interesting to see how many of those who prefer the darker SW films also tend to cheer for the bad guys.

13. SithLord127

Oct 19, 2002
    I've always been about the Sith and the Empire just kicks @$$. Their Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers and the Death Star. The Rebellion was ok, they had better starfighters but other then that I totally dug the Empire.

14. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    I like my Star Wars like I like my beer.

DARK

15. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Honestly, I don't have a favorite movie, it depends on my mood... WHen I'm in the mood for darker and "complexer" well that's what I'll go for but if I'm in the mood for lighter material, my faves will be the lighter films... TPM and ANH.

I'd put ROTJ in the middle because IMO it's closer to being equal parts light and dark.

16. Destined-to-Fall

Destined-to-Fall Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2002
    It's hard to say. I mean, Attack of the Clones was by far my favorite of all the SW movies, but I think there was a pretty equal balance. At this point, we are supposed to see the side of Anakin that is turning, but at the same time, they still want us to see all the joy and love he has...that way we really feel for him later on.

As for Episode III, there has never been anything I have anticipated, and dreaded so much in my entire life! I don't want to see Anakin fall to the Dark Side!! Sorry about that. lol. But's it's true. They have made me fall in love with his charactor, and I have so much feeling for him. I just dread seeing him as Vadar. ::_|:
    It's going to for sure be the darkest of all the movies, and they say they might even have to rate it ... PA! ::gasp:: lol.

Chosen to Rise - Destined to Fall

17. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Darker, Cause Empire is the best movie.

18. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    The darker the better.

19. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Mixture of both.

20. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I like them both, for different reasons. ANH and TPM are the "fun" ones, basically from start to finish, but they have their moments, like when Qui-Gon is killed and then when Obi-Wan is killed.

I watched I, II and IV back-to-back-to-back one day, and although AotC is my favorite, it's really odd to see what a bummer it is compared to TPM and ANH. I never really noticed it before. ESB is just all sadness and despair, but VADER RULES! RotJ is somewhere in the middle, but it has a great ending!

21. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Since I consider ESB to be my favorite of the bunch, I feel inclined to say dark, but since I tend to watch ROTJ more than any other, I feel inclined to say light. Curious, isn't it?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!

22. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Darker, all the way.
    ESB is my favorite, and Darker means more Vader and any other Sith set loose.
    I love ESB, I hope Episode III turn out to be as dark as ESB.

23. Obi-pres

Obi-pres Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I like the lightside alot but it would be really cool to see a SW film based oon the darkside which I think Episode III will kinda be about. It will be cool.

24. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'd like to see a real dark film where people suffer and there's a major struggle for the good side. I think Episode III will deliver on this hope.

25. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    I'd have to agree with some of you. I like the more darker films, beacuse it gives you a chance to see where the Sith and the dark forces are coming from. Plus it means more Darth Sidious, Dooku, and Darth Vader...which is what I want to see, more Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.