main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Do you prefer matte or glossy for your soft copy Novels

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by UnshavenWookie14, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I’m relatively new to the EU but I’m kind of hooked now. The other day I finished aftermath and went to pick up Life Debt and Empires End. Before I checked out I realized that I had grabbed one that had a gloss cover, and the other matte. I think the pages may have been slightly different as well. Unfortunately I’m extremely OCD about my series I decide to collect, so I had to put one back.

What’s your presence for reading/collecting? Other stuff like HP and GOT I have all Hardback. But I actually really liked the matte soft copies in this case (might be different for other SW Novels since Aftermath trio has some unique cover art). Not to mention if I try to go all hardback I’ll burn through a whole lot more bookshelf space, and dollars. But I thought the glossy just looked more likely to bend/curl/get dinged easily. And I just wasn’t crazy about the shiny plastic look. Thought the matte was sharper overall, and doesn’t take creasing/bending to cover to keep the book open when you’re reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I’ve tried to back off buying the physical copies and get digital. It makes me a little sad, but I’m just out of space for more books.

3. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    I follow the old-fashioned method of paperback first, then if it's a really impressive book, I'll buy the hardback a few months later.
    If the book is old then I'll get it second hand.

I'm a Brit, and glossy covers dominate most of sci-fi shelves- matte covers are reserved for more serious books. ;)

4. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    I agree glossy is more popular. But when I’m done reading them they’re kinda bent in as semi circle. I think matte keeps form better.

5. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    I like that strategy. So let me ask your opinion: which canon books warrant hardcover in your opinion? Or anyone else’s who wants to chime in

6. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Most of my SW books are pockets, with a few that have hard-cover. Personally, I prefer hard-cover, but hard-cover books are usually the most expensive ones, so I'll go for paperback.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah I use to get the pocket size for my non collection books. The Star Wars publisher Del Rey doesn’t seem to be printing those though. At least from what I can see. They’ve been going with the ‘tall rack’ mass market editions. Same width but like an inch taller. Not sure where this format came from but it seems like a lot of publishers are going that way. The ‘legends’ novels are still printed in pocket size though. Paperback saves shelf space but for my favorite books I like how hardback keeps my shelf more uniform in book sizes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.