main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you prefer space battles or Jedi duels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Spirit-Of-77, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Jedi duels. Space battles can be more fascinating and flashy, but close-contact fencing has a kind of intimacy and personality to it that the space battles just don't match for me.

2. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Space battles. Star Wars has always been "Star" "Wars. Space battles all the way. Obi-vs-Maul was good, but nothing else had really come close.

3. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    As much as I do happen to enjoy the vicarious thrill and visionary scope of the space battles in the "Star Wars" films, I much prefer the vigorous ferocity which informs many of the lightsaber duels throughout the six films (obviously, the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader in "A New Hope" is neither vigorous nor ferocious, but there is another level of emotional subtext being explored that makes that sequence interesting on its own terms). I love the level of intimacy as well as the urgent, interpersonal conflict involved in observing two (or more, in some cases) combatants fighting one another in close quarters. What separates this duelling from that which is exemplified in its more traditional incarnations, is the elaborate nature of both the settings and the physical movements exhibited within the context of the sequence itself; of course, there is also the matter of laser swords, which never cease to delight or amaze, I find. The chimerical plane onto which these extravagant, balletic displays are positioned, only further enriches their underlying appeal; by having placed these duels into a visionary, fantastical context, the fight sequences begin to develop a true mythic grandeur - these duels have been imparted with a resplendence and energy that allows them to ultimately transcend the parameters of their more commonplace trappings. Obviously, it is easy to admire these setpieces on a technical level, but the degree to which psychological complexity is involved in the proceedings, only allows us to be more fully immersed in the action; this quality is most prominent in the central duels in Episodes III, IV, V, and VI, whose activity is consequently frought with more salient urgency and emotional drive. I usually find these fight scenes to be rousing, anyway, but the additional component of dramatic vehemence makes for an entrancing spectacle.

The space battles contained within the "Star Wars" saga, are mostly entertaining, but I don't often consider these aspects of the movies to be among the most engaging. Earlier, I mentioned the visionary sweep of these sequences, and indeed all of them are well-rendered and creative, not to mention viscerally exciting, but despite the level of exhilaration they are able to arouse in the viewer, they appear to be more of a means to an end, rather than anything else. The battles in Episodes I and VI are upstaged by the grandiose conceptual plane which serves as an artistic impetus from which the filmmakers drive the action; in other words, the scenes, in their respective films, represent individual plot strands being manipulated in order to synthesize a larger sense of elation, as well as narrative progression. It is as though the underlying story arc has taken precedence over the specificity of the sequence itself - the vigorous intercutting between concurrent plot strands is remarkably ambitious, yet does not allow tension to ascend within a particular scene, but instead embellishes all of them simultaneously through the rapidity of filmic succession. In contrast to that notion, we have the space battles that occur in Episodes III and IV, which are lean, focused, and virtually devoid of extraneous interceding plot strands which prevent the development of suspense and immediacy that is contained within the individual setpiece. The detail and scope is retained nonetheless, but it is the precision, along with the imparted trajectory, which elevates these scenes; that is why I tend to hold the space battles of Episodes III and IV in much higher esteem. Still, even in their most elemental form, my enthusiasm for lightsaber duels far exceeds the enjoyment I have watching dog-fights and space battles.

I felt that the PT had way too many saber battles, which kind of watered them down in a sense.

I don't agree with this statement, although I can intellectually appreciate the sentiment being expressed. The prequels are far less judicious in their display of effects in this regard, and the frequency with which lightsaber battles occur is much higher t

4. -nada-

-nada- Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2004
    Jedi duels. The opening space battle in RoTS was kick-***, but the duels in SW are my favorite.

5. Satchel_Marr

Satchel_Marr Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    The space battles of the OT captured my imagination and my heart. The lightsaber battles too, but I've got a pilot's heart, so there my sympathies lie.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any space battles to get excited about in the newer films. The opening of RotS came closest, but it was too choppy and disorganized, and the Jedi flying didn't wow me at all. Or the droids.

6. chad715

chad715 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    lighsaber battles by far..cpecially in ROTS

7. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    You shouldnt only have space battles, you should have it include all battles (Nabboo, Geonosis, Kashykk, Hoth, Endor) Vs the Duels. But im gonna say duels.

8. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I have to go w/ the lightsaber duels. They are far more personal, and the emotional backstory bblows away pilots going after each other.

9. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    For me it depends, ANH had the attack on the death star and ESB had the asteroid field, those were incredible, and there have been great duels throughout the saga as well, Luke vs. Vader, Vader vs. obi wan, Qui gon+ obi vs. maul were all great, it all depends on how they're carried out and whats at stake in the big picture. For me it's about situations not just an overall preferance.

10. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Jedi/Sith duels. I love martial arts swordfighting in movies and
    lightsabers just make the duels cooler. Lots of neonish light whipping
    and trailing all over the place!

11. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    I prefer jedi duels. To me nothing is more auxilirating than watching a good lightsaber battle. I find dogfights to be kinda boring, light saber duels keep you on your toes.

12. Darth Vrook

Darth Vrook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2005
    Jedi duels are fast paced and have a lot of action.

13. darth_berryboy

darth_berryboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Jedi dules ROCK!!!!! They are much more personal and concentrate on one only two or three at a time. Also, I will never get tired of hearing the sounds of the lightsabers moving through the air and striking another. Also, there is usually always something emotionally going on in a lightsaber duel where many times in space battles there are not. An example would be Ani/Vader going against Obi. Fight for friendship, feelings of failure, and love/hatred for the other. Jedi duels are amazing.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I like them both equally.

15. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    I like any battle where you get a real sense of emotion, and a viceral sense of tension. Generally, these are, just by their nature, saber battles. However, I have found a number of the space battles equally signifcant. I love just about every moment Ewan's Obi steps into a Jedi starfighter. I'm especially fond of his episode II asteroid battle with Jango. Likewise, I'm not overly enamored of Falcon antics in Episode IV and VI, but I love just about every appearance in Episode V. This is almost certainly because the ship itself takes on a kind of personality in its efforts to finally have a working hyperdrive.

I don't think you could have STAR WARS without space battles, obviously, but they certainly are better when they're personalized. STAR WARS, I think, does a better job of this than other films, but things like the end battles in Episodes I and VI do seem less invigorating than the lightsaber battles in the same episodes.

16. Lord_Achilles

Lord_Achilles Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    Jedi Duels, hands down.

I'm someone who likes Star Wars because of Jedi, lightsabers, and the force. ROTJ was the first film I saw. When I saw Luke using this mystical power and the first snap-hiss of a lightsaber, it was the beginning of a love affair with the saga that hasn't ended. Lightsaber duels are Jedi fighting Jedi in a way only they can. It's powerful both emotionally and physically. The skill it takes to defend themselves with such a short range weapon is awesome.

By far, my favorite duel is the one in TPM with Obi Wan, Qui Gon, and Darth Maul. Especially between Obi Wan and Maul after Qui Gon is killed.

I wish they had filmed the duel between Obi Wan and Anakin the same way. In that one they are zoomed in on the faces so much (no doubt to show emotion) that you can't appreciate how spectacular they are with lightsabers. That's the only problem I had with the movie. I was waiting for a duel to surpass the one in TPM (in my opinion).

17. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    You all are crazy, the lightsaber duels all the way. The space battles don't even come close. Maayyyyyyybe ROTJ one comes a little close. But no way.

18. Xelima

Xelima Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    I like lightsaber fights most and i think that space battles are bit boring :D (I liked Hoth and Endor battle in ground)

19. KIN

KIN Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    I prefer light clashing saber duels (exspecially ones with lots of flips and force powers).

20. master_ghost

master_ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Definitly the saber duels. They are more emotional and just cooler looking.

21. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    I'd have to go with the space battles. The battle above Coruscant in ROTS and the Death Star II battle in ROTJ especially. The epic scale, the way the camera follows ships as they dart in between each other. Plus Wedge is one of my favorite characters so having him in any scene makes it one of my favorites.

22. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    The duels themselves carry alot more emotion
    between the charactors....
    gotta say I prefer the duels.

23. Masterskippy

Masterskippy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    I'm torn, but the Jedi ones I rate for the more personal aspects. But as far as the space battles, RoTS via the technology, the opening sequence just blew my mind!

Grew up on the OT I did, but the drop to Coruscant with the Jedi Fighters blew my mind.

Each Jedi fight, however, it's up close and personal. They have time to think, and/or give banter to each other.

Maul is just a monster. Killing machine.

Qui-Gon, who thinks outside of the box.

Dooku, slight sense of history (due to Christopher Lee).

Sidious, because he's the mastermind.

Yoda, the purist.

Anakin, the talented fallen.

Mace: the blind one

Obi-Wan, the sage.

Luke, the redeemer.

24. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I'd go with the space battles. After the original Star Wars, the saber duels became to much like dungeons and dragons; same problem as the matrix, the way they use the force, there are no logical rules that dictate what they can and cannot due, which makes for bad drama. The space battles tend to be much more dramatic. Just my opinion...

25. MasterVodo

MasterVodo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Duels win due to the personal nature. Although I thought the opening of III and Jango vs. Obi Wan were some of the most brilliant sequences of the saga. And the end of IV of course is just classic.

Also, the reason there is no cockpit view hyperspace jump in the prequels is because George wanted to save something special for Episode IV when watched in sequence. I think he mentioned it on the New Hope DVD commentary track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.