main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you read Fan Fiction?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, do you?

2. Avalon69

Avalon69 Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2001
    Oftenly,it's the only way to see the good side of my fav. character. 8-}

3. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    occasionally, but usually only if i hear it recommended first...

4. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    DEFINITELY!!! I see you there all the time, too. :) You and Jedi_Anakin_Solo always seem to post right next to each other on Blue Orchids.

Oh, you want recommendations? Check out my bio, where all of mine are. [face_devil] ;)

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Nope. Most of it is pretty cruddy quality compared to pro-fic, which itself is usually pretty cruddy quality compared to most of the other stuff I read. I know there is also some that really stands out and is great, but I don't feel compelled to read it.

6. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Well not all fanfics are badly written, there are those that stand out well and have the characters down better than the pro-authors.

Rebelmom, Herman Snerd, Gandolf the Grey, Darth Ishtar, Clarus, Nameless Alien, MJ Mink, Valerie Vancollie, Knight Mara, Padawan Di-Lee and probably a few others that I've missed. I know some people consider JediGaladriel a very good writer and I admit that she is, but I can only take her writing in small doses.

And sometimes it takes fanfiction for me to actually start liking a certain character. I like Kyp in fanfics, but the way he's been written in the NJO turns me off. Then there are a few other authors who have way more original ideas than those of the NJO, but you can't really blame authors who are stuck inside one big story arc and have more limits than they did with Bantam.

Of course, like Mastadge said... some fics are pretty cruddy... I'd saw ooh... 25% out of all the fics that are written out there are actually worth reading. Luckily, Star Wars attracts a much older audience than a few fandoms out there. So we get authors that at least know their grammar.

7. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Not only do I read them, I write them :D.

8. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Read it, write it...

It's my fave board!

Hey, you want reccomendations? Go read my fics ;)

9. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Most definitely. :)

10. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I've never really gotten into fanfics. Haven't read one i liked.

11. Miss_Jaina

Miss_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Of course I do!!!
    Fanfic is the best!

~Miss Jaina

12. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    Yes.

I've written one fic and am currently following several stories.

It's fun to see the characters in a different light. Fan Fiction enables that to happen.

Many of the stories are good. One can usually discern the quality of a story by the first couple of posts.

13. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    uh oh, i can see this becoming one big advertising thread ;)

whoever said about 25% of fanfiction is good reading material is right...in fact that percentage should be lower if all existing fanfiction is taken into account.

but what can i say? i read it and write it. :)

14. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
  15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I said it before in another thread asking this same thing and I say it again. Considering I have to edit em, I certainly do read fan fics.

16. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    i read sw fanfic sparingly b/c, althoug there are some real stand-out fics out there, most of the stuff i find to be rather shallow and almost childish. however, i am a HUGE fan of some other fandoms' fics.

17. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I would like to read some of them, but I don't have the time.

18. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Vergere, I agree with you fully. I hang out at the fanfiction boards all the time and read quite a few fics. Some of them are fantastic, others are slightly on the dull side. Though I bore myself, so I shouldn't worry :p Well since everybody has already had their go at advertising. Here I go! I'm basically a major Anakin/Amidala writer, though I do have a short Anakin/Tahiri fic..one of my best pieces of work, IMO. It's all in my sig, though I recommend 'If The Mask Fits' and 'See You Soon'

Am [face_love]

19. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Nope, I don't have the time. Though I am writing a fanfic myself, it's pretty bad as English is not my best subject though the ideas are good.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
  21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Like Knight, I edit some, some, so I do read them. But just for fun, I only read them when I get the time, which isn't often. :(

22. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Jedi_Anakin_Solo, I've read your stuff, and you're pretty good. :) I like fanfic but unfortunately, in my sad, sad life, my parents (being losers) have not yet bought a computer and I have to go to my fave place in the world, the library (ok, so I take after my parents) to come and meet all of you fine ppl. In other words, I like it, but I can't ever read it very much because I don't have access to a computer.

23. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    Yes! I love fan fiction! You forgot to add Qwi_Xux to your list though. She is awesome!

side note: I just posted my first fan fic today! :)

24. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Not really. I do have some fanzines from the 1980's, but I haven't read them either. I have a hard enough time just keeping up with the published material that I do get my hands on, so it's hard for me to check out the online fanfic as well.

25. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    no, I don't like reading them, I like writing them though, ever heard of Lu Lorzen?! Ha, clumsiness and intelligence... its kinda like sargeant gilmartin, but with lasers.

Anyways... sometimes I read stuff. I read that thingy by Ish, Darth ishatar I mean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.