main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you read Fan Fiction?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Wasn't there a thread exactly like this just a few months ago? *shrugs*

Anyway, I write fan fiction more than I read it. There are some great authors, but I'm not going to name them, lest somebody not on the list take offense.

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Read it and write it. :)

~*~Bria

3. AquaRose

AquaRose Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Coarse... I am not allowed to read the books so fanfic is the sole way of reading anything SW for me... I think the books are dull compared to fanfic... I know, I know I am weird... what new?

4. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Not allowed to read the books? :eek:

~*~Bria

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I read fanfic a lot of the time. The only problem is that nobody will ever read mine. :( And I really need some help with reviews and stuff, because I'm stuck in a rut and I want to know what other people think. If others were to tell me they enjoyed it then maybe I'd be motivated to write more. :(

Well, here's an advertisement for it, in case anyone wants to read some fanfic with original characters:

author: NarundiJedi
    stories: Edge of the Purge
    Fall of a Dynasty(only one chapter)

please, I beg of you, I need reviews!! I want to know what other people think that aren't my best friends!

Jae Angel

PS- Anybody know of some good stories that have Jaina in them? Particularly Jaina and Kyp. I don't like Jag too much. :p

6. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    val solo has a good one going. It's called "Get Over It: A Jaina and Kyp Story."

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Fluke, do you edit what you write? See, that was my point with the reading. Gotta read it when I edit it before I can send it. Sorry to make this sound so sarcastic. Was not my intent to do, so I greatly appologize if I offended you.

8. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, Senator Lorena, I love that one. :) Quite well written. Another one I REALLY like is one called "Perfect Strangers" by JadaSkye. That one is found on fanfiction.net, but she hasn't updated it in months and the story is stuck at a very intense part! :( Oh well.

Well, I'm hungry, gonna go get a bite to eat :)

Jae Angel

9. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    Where can you find SW Fanfic on the web? Addresses please!

10. Bria

May 15, 1999
  11. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Gotta love the first link Bria posted. Especially in the Series category.

12. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Yeah, but fanfix hasn't updated in a long while :( and most of the stories there you can find either here or at ffn.

13. RB-wan

RB-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2000
    I was introduced to other people's fan fiction almost ten years ago; I had been writing my own stories ( mostly my own stuff ) since I was about nine or ten. Most fanfic I've read has been in printzine format in long-running publications ( A Tremor in the Force being the biggest, most prevalent, and of the highest quality among the print zines...though I've been rather fond of Snowfire, too ), and I've been fortunate to read some great stuff.

Veronica Wilson is a dyed-in-the-wool darksider who writes an aristocratic Leia and a uniquely personal take on Vader and Palpatine; she can give Patricia Jackson a run for her money. I was lucky enough to read some Martha Wells stories before she went pro, and Diane Duane has written a fanfic or two.

I've had a handful of fanfic published, and I'm pleased with the execution of the Leia-as-Jedi tales I've written ( "An Empty Cradle" in particular ). But nothing online yet.

I've read some great stuff, and I've dredged through an awful lot of rubbish. It's almost to the point where I can't read much fanfic about the characters we already know; I really enjoy checking out stories about new characters in the GFFA. In fact, I'm working on a bit of a fanfic saga of my own, which is one reason why it hasn't been published yet. The major characters are in place, the outlines are coming along, and the timeline of events is under constant tweaking...

Well, I'm rambling and playing with my son as I write this ( another reason it takes so long getting things done: I'm a single father ).

By the by, I'm listed as a beta reader. I DO have time for that, at least. <g>

Bri

14. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    I think fanfic, especially AUs (alternate universes), are a great way to find out what would happen in a "what if" scenario. The best stories I've read are AU's.

15. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Gotta agree with Darth_Fruitcake. AU and what-ifs are the greatest! I only read that kind (well, almost).

Well, obviously, I read, and write a little too, but reading is the most important thing. I'm always very grateful to all those wonderful authors out there, bringing such pleasure to my life. At times, fanfiction is better than EU...Llarian (who doesn't post on this board, but on fanfiction.net) has written Force of Destiny, and that one beats many of the books, in my opinion.

16. AquaRose

Sep 6, 2001
    I agree with Frutie as well and I prefer what if with Luke or Padme in them best... I do not like the what ifs where Luke and mara makeout though...

17. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I'm assuming you're talking about SJade's writing. <----- [face_plain]

Yeah... fics with torture in them are always bad. Especially with torture that serves no purpose to the plot except to have the character screaming and possibly shirtless. (Obi torture is a strong case.)

I love reading AU fics that have Luke and Vader and especially with Vader coming back to the light. I also like fics where Han and Vader become sort of good friends over their protective towards Leia. It's always funny to read Vader and Han semi bonding. I also like reading fics were if Padme survived she and Luke form a strong bond. Though unfortunately people always go with the Leia and Padme thing, despite the fact that mother and sons have stronger bonds. Father and daughter get along far more better, but in Leia's case that's a hard case. :p

18. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, you have to really start looking into the categories to see what's been updated at FanFixs and what hasn't. Last Update I know of was around Dec 2 of this year. But then that's in the Series category, and that's the one I tend to check out the most often.

19. AquaRose

Sep 6, 2001
    I do not think they have updated since September...
    There is a really nice storry in there that is differnet than it sound... it is called.... (The) Search for SkyWalker, In the Rebellion section

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.