main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you REFUSE to refer to the movie "Star Wars"....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by anakinsrightarm, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    ...as "A New Hope" when you make reference of the film?

I have a feeling (and I could be way off) this answer is directly proportional to ones like/dislike of the prequels....theory being that those who feel the prequels are pathetic excuses for SW movies refer to Ep. IV simply as Star Wars...and that those who have embraced the entire series (more or less) have come to call it "A New Hope".

Just a curiosity.

2. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    I love the prequels and refer to them as "Episode 1" and "Episode 2." However, I still refer to the OT as "STar Wars", "Empire", and "Jedi."

Why? I should either refer to the prequels by their full names, or refer to the OT as eps 4, 5,6. It has to do with the way we first knew them, and still think of them that way in our minds.

Now that Dooku's true identity, Darth Tyrannus, is revealed to all, episode 3 will likely refer to him as "Tyrannus" all throughout the movie. He IS Darth Tyrannus. But we'll still probably call him Dooku, even though ep3 probably never will. Thats how we first knew him.

Yup, I call "A New Hope" "Star Wars."

3. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I may do both depending upon the context of how I'm trying to refer to Episode IV.

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Whenever I mention A New Hope to some casual fans they give me a confused look. Then they say,

"Oh, you mean Star Wars."

Bugs me every time.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    A New Hope is the name of the movie. Star Wars is the name of the saga.

6. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "Whenever I mention A New Hope to some casual fans they give me a confused look. Then they say,

"Oh, you mean Star Wars."

Bugs me every time. "

Exactly, so it depends on who you're talking to.

7. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    This thread, again?

Go to www.imdb.com

The movie name is "Star Wars". That's how it was released in 1977. Nothing can CHANGE this fact.

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I call it A New Hope, but I geuss that's becasue I'm one of the younger generations of fans.

9. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Only around hardcore Star Wars fans do I refer to ep IV as A New Hope. I will always consider that film to be Star Wars.

10. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Y'know, not everyone has been around here to see EVERY single time a thread topic comes up. Please exercise a bit of patience with those of us who aren't aware of what has and has not been discussed before.

Otherwise, feel free to ignore the repetition all together.

11. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    On these boards I call it A New Hope, but in real life when I talk to people about the movies, I just call them Episode 1, Episode 2, the original, Empire and Jedi.

12. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I've called it both. Depends on the mood I'm in.

This thread seems like a flame-bait to me.

13. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I love the prequels, and always call the first one 'Star Wars' unless I'm posting here, in which I refer to it as 'ANH'.

14. Silent_Ben

Silent_Ben Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2002
    I usually call it Star Wars but I occasionally refer to it as Episode IV (esp. when discussing the entire Saga)

A New Hope just doesn't sound right for some reason.

15. Corpus_Crispy

Corpus_Crispy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    If I'm talking to most people, I'll say "Star Wars." That IS its name, after all. It's how it is referred to pretty much everwhere (TV Guide, IMDB, George Lucas, ads on television, etc, etc.) But, if I'm talking to another fan, I'll call it "A New Hope," just because it's easier than going through that annoying conversation:

ME: Do you remember in Star Wars when....
    THEM: Which one?
    ME: The first one
    THEM: Phantom Menace?
    ME: No, the other first one

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I NEVER refer to the 1977 Star Wars film as "A New Hope". That movie will forever be "Star Wars" to me.

I don't like the prequels.

17. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    George wasn't sure if Star Wars was going to be a big succes, so he just called it Star Wars: A New Hope. Then after it was a success in cinemas, he decided to rerelease it with Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope.

So he wasn't sure if he was going to make all the movies. It all depended on if Star Wars was a success.

18. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    We had a thread about like a few weeks ago. But anyway... The movie name is "Star Wars", the episode name is "A new Hope". This name was given *after* the movie was released, when they decided to make sequels. So it's just right to call it "Star Wars", as it is right to call it "ANH" when talking on this forums, so we know which episode you are talking about. But there's no reason to "REFUSE" to refer "Star Wars" as "Star Wars" because, well, it's the name of the movie.

It's like refusing to call "George Lucas" as "George Lucas".

19. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    In 1977, it was released as STAR WARS. In 1979, they retitled the movie, STAR WARS Episode 4: A NEW HOPE.

20. Decph_Filev

Decph_Filev Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I always called it Star Wars until the prequels came out.

We had no idea what "A New Hope" really meant until that.

Well we knew, but we didn't really know.

We al realized luke was a new hope to bring back the Jedi and take down the Empire and so on and so forth, but we didn't know why really.

But now that we "know why" officially I call it A New Hope.

But I'm a weird guy, so what do I know?

;)

21. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I call it "A New Hope" to avoid confusion.

22. NissoJape

NissoJape Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    I say "A NEW HOPE" and "Empire Strikes Back" also, "Return of the jedi" but i also say "attack of the clones" when rubes (ignorant non-star wars fans who, well.....are inferior) don't understand there are more than 3 star wars movies, they think the prignal one, the one that came out 5 years ago, and episode 2.

23. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I have no problem with refering to the movie that came out in 1977 as "Star Wars"...that's what it said on the front of the theater (so I'm told...I was 11 months old) It was after the original release, that GL fought to have the words "A New Hope" returned into the opening (since it was apparent that he would get a chance to make the other Episodes).

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that those, who feel the prequels are pathetic excuses for SW movies refer to Ep. IV simply as Star Wars...and that those who have embraced the entire series (more or less) have come to call it "A New Hope". I think you're reading too much into this. One reason most fans refer to the movie as ANH (as I just did) is simplicity...it's really easy to distinguish between 3-4 letters (ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TPM,AOTC) then having to spell it out. Many people use the abbreviation SW when refering to the saga as a whole (like this):

EXAMPLE: "Do you ever think there will be a day when the entire SW story has reached it's limits?"

24. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I call it A New Hope. *Shrugs*

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I stubbornly call it A New Hope.

I insist on Ep. 1 being called "The Phantom Menace"

But I refer to Attack of the Clones as either Episode Two or AOTC, because with a title like that, it's better being a number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.