main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you REFUSE to refer to the movie "Star Wars"....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by anakinsrightarm, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    It's funny. Before the prequels I called it "A New Hope". I think I was just trying to be "hardcore fan".

Now that I'm all dejected over the new films, I tend to just call it "Star Wars", or "The Original".

And to those of you pointing out the film's actual name, Anakinsrightarm asked us what WE call the film, not what IT'S called.

2. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Ah, its Star Wars to me.

"A new hope" is just something that didn`t grasp us in school yard talks....

3. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    i refer to eIV as "a new hope" and "Star Wars" is everything together as a whole

4. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    when discussing Star Wars I usually jump between saying Star Wars, Star Wars 1, EpIV, A New Hope and the first film.

I hate the new films.

5. Periidot

Periidot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    I only call it "A New Hope", "ANH" or "Episode IV" when posting on message boards to avoid confusion.

I enjoy the prequels, that has nothing to do with it.

I just know that classic, best movie ever made as "Star Wars", that's what I saw in the theater in 1977, that's what defined what i loved about movies, so that's what I call it now.

:)

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Like Periidot, and those similar posts,

Star Wars is Star Wars, but I refer to (and recognize) the names ANH and Ep.4 for the purpose of clarity on these boards (or for those who INSIST on calling it ANH.)

It's not the first episode, but it IS (was?)the first film, and this is where all the magic started for me.

7. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I refur to it as A New Hope but I don't really know anyone who knows that much about Star Wars, like I say Attack of the Clones and the person I say that to says whats that and I say the new one. Then I say A New Hope and again they say whats that so I have to say the first Star Wars they made.

If only everyone liked star wars as much as me and you guys there would be know confusion. My one friend has seen star wars buts not relly intrested, my other friend thinks he knows alot about star wars but really doesn't, he dosen't know which star wars are which, thinks the OT happened before the PT, and keeps arguing with me about stupid things like is the speeder bike in ROTJ that the Ewok rides is the same one in episode II that Anakin rides on Tattoine and sometimes I just want to punch him.

One thing I would liketo know when ANH came out in 1977 at the begining did it say Star Wars : Episode IV : A New Hope or just Star Wars : A New Hope, I think someone said it earlier but I am not clear on it.

8. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    One thing I would liketo know when ANH came out in 1977 at the begining did it say Star Wars : Episode IV : A New Hope or just Star Wars : A New Hope, I think someone said it earlier but I am not clear on it.

In 1977 it just said 'Star Wars', without the episode subtitle.

The first 'Episode' subtitle was with ESB, in 1980 (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)

In a re-release of Star Wars, in 1981, GL added the "Episode IV: A New Hope"

I think that's the way it was. :)

9. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Thanks DARTH_CHINA.

10. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I usually refer to it as STAR WARS: From The Adventures Of Luke Skywalker

Sometimes I just call it THE STAR WARS

But I very rarely refer to it as STAR WARS, or A NEW HOPE :)

11. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
    I almost always called it "A New Hope"

12. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Yes.

I call it "Star Wars"

13. Tintti

Tintti Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2002
    I call it always A new hope. That's probably because I belong to a newer fan generation; the first time I saw the movies was last summer! To me Star Wars is the name of the whole saga and phenomenon and ANH is the name of episode IV. But I also understand people, who call ANH Star Wars.

14. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I used to refer to it as A New Hope, but I much prefer calling it Star Wars now, as that's what most normal people call it, and I like to get in with these normal people, so I can bring them down from the inside. Also, doesn't George Lucas, and the whole cast of the Classic Trilogy refer to Episode IV as Star Wars, too? If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! :D

15. khairul_azwan

khairul_azwan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    i think a lot of us miss the point here...

though this topic has been brought up, the interesting preposition that the poster is making that people who prefer the OT calls it SW while people who love the PT calls it ANH...

even if the above assumption is incorrect, its interesting to note how the OT lovers have nostalgia going for them, while the PT have fandom going for them. i like the PTs cuz i get to see SW on the big screen now (my parents didnt bring me to theatres cuz i was very young when the OT wee released so i watched em on VHS) but its totally different now cuz you dont know how much your fanticism is affected by the media these days....

anyways i calls em ANH now, in the context of both trilogys

k.a.

16. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    To me A New Hope is still "Star Wars". That's what it was called in 1977 and I just haven't broken the habbit.

17. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I call it "A New Hope". It pisses the heck out of my mom who always says "It's Star Wars. They had to tack on a new name when the next ones came out. It's STAR WARS."

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I always refer to them as 'Phantom', 'Clones', 'Hope', 'Empire' and 'Jedi'.

I thought that Lucas added the 'A New Hope' subtitle onto Star Wars in 1978, but I don't know when 'Episode IV' was added.

I should have a look around about this.

19. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Can we all call SW:ANH as "Bob" and get this thing over with?

20. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Depends on who I'm talking to. If I'm talking to an average person who I dont think will know what I'm talking about, I call it Star Wars. If I'm talking to a SW fan, I say A New Hope.

21. swmorgan77

swmorgan77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    The title is "Star Wars: A New Hope"

Just like the title of every episode is "Star Wars: (insert episode name)"

Do you call "Fellowship of the Rings" simply "Lord of the Rings"?

22. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
  23. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    I usually just call it Star Wars. I refer to it as ANH or A New Hope here and at other boards. And I call the others TPM, AOTC, ESB, and ROTJ.

24. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I seem to call it A New Hope - although a lot of the times when I am babbling on to my non-Star Wars friends they have no idea what I'm talking about... (Bless their souls for putting up with me though.)

But for the prequals I call them 'Episode I' etc. etc. I think why I refer to the OT by the Episode Title and the PT by the Episode Number is because they are advertised differently. With the PT, the posters and video cases put the episode number bigger than the title, and it's the opposite for the OT's video covers...for some odd reason. But Episode IV has always been A New Hope. It's just easier to avoid confusion. :)

-Bjork.

25. Majin_Vader

Majin_Vader Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2003
    the saga is star wars and since new hope was the 1st to b released thats how george had the posters made. the sagas title is star wars and the individual titles are phantom
    menace, attack of the clones, ? , new hope,
    empire strikes back and return of the jedi.
    so its actually star wars episode 4 a new hope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.