main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you remember your mother, your real mother?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BobaFrank, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I was just watching ROTJ when Luke asked the Leia about remembering Padme?

I think this probably proves that Padme does die. If she didn't die she would have showed up at some point to reclaim her kids or let them know she was alive.

Note: I know this is redundant but I was too tired to go looking for the links.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course she dies.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    BFT,

I'm an adamant believer that she does too and that we will see her die in the next episode.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the subject that I think most nay-sayers overlook, and that is the line Luke utters, "do you remember your mother, YOUR REAL MOTHER?"

4. ObiWybrow

ObiWybrow Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    I know exactly what you mean it has puzzled me before. No where in any of the films (excluding the final third of ROTJ) do we get clarification that Leia knows that Bail Organa and his wife (presumably) are not her biological parents. Luke already knows Leia is his sister but how comes Leia suddenly speaks of her "real" mother???

5. ozzelwasframed

ozzelwasframed Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    I think Leia knew her parents on Alderan adopted her, because she obviously had memories of her "real" mother. But I also believe the circumstances of her adoption had never been explained to her.

6. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    "where in any of the films (excluding the final third of ROTJ) do we get clarification that Leia knows that Bail Organa and his wife (presumably) are not her biological parents".

It isn't stated anywhere else but this scene seems to suggest she has discussed this with Luke at some stage (off screen). And of course Padmé dies on screen. You don't leave a question mark about the fate of one of the most important character's of the saga. That would be like Qui Gon surviving TPM but then nothing is heard of him again.

7. DarthGelatinous

DarthGelatinous Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2001
    Qui-gon survived!?

8. TK-101788

TK-101788 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2003
  9. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Leia replies: just a little bit. she died when i was very young.

That sort of proves that Padme dies somewhere from the time of Episode III to between Episode III and IV.

10. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I was always under the impression that she only thought she remembered her real mother. In reality she remembered her adopted mother, whom she thought was her real mother.

IJG

11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Luke asks Leia if she "remembers her mother, her REAL mother." He hasn't yet told Leia they are related, sister and brother. Until that point, would Leia have known she was adopted by the Organa's? Why didn't she question Luke's use of the words REAL MOTHER? When would Leia have been told about her real parents? Am I missing something or am I simply tired and forgetting something simple here?

12. Ebonn101

Ebonn101 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2002
    it doenst prove she dies between III and IV. we havent seen III yet, so we dont know if that is true.

13. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    We know, from ANH, that Luke knew that he was adopted. Owen and Beru explained it to him. Of course Owen lied to protect Luke and keep him from leaving.

So I think there is reason enough to believe that Bail Organa also explained to Leia that he adopted her. We don't know how much of the truth Bail told Leia. But at least Leia knew her mother a little, and I believe that person is/was Padme.

14. jediart

jediart Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    For Padme to die in the next ep. III ,Leia would have to be
    about 5 years old to remeber her, if Leia
    is going to be in the next ep.III she will
    only be about 3 , so I don't think Padme will
    die in ep.III.

She will die 2 or 3 years later ???

Only LUCAS knows for sure.

MAY 2005 cant get here fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

15. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Five is a little old. I definitely have a few vague memories from being younger than that, like 2-3. Maybe even one. My feeling is that Padme will become terminally sick or fatally wounded, and live out her last days in hiding on Alderaan... living just long enough for Leia to get an impression of her.

16. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    The way Luke words the question "real mother", you'd have to assume he knew that Leia was adopted and had an adoptive mother. This is probably Bail's wife.

I wonder if Leia knew Bail was her adoptive father - she could think that Bail is her true father, and after her real mother died, he remarried. Although I'm sure Bail told her the truth. Leia would have an even harder time believing that Vader is her father if Bail had claimed to be her biological father.

17. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    That dialogue is pretty much clear, unless Lucas decides to make it so "by a certain point of view". But so far it's very, very clear about what happened.

18. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Either Padme wen't into hiding or a outline of upcoming literature I read on TheForce.net is true, which stated Lucas plans on approving of series of novels taking place immediately after Episode 3. :)

These novels would focus on the Alliance forming and Padme. Speaking of this scene, I thought it was one of the best parts dialogue wise of ROTJ, although there were nurmerous great conversations. :)

<[-]> Saber

19. YodasHouse

YodasHouse Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2003
    This might help, from the 'Return of The Jedi' book by James Kahn that came out in June 1983.

...Ben continued his narrative. "When your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible. So I took you to live with my brother Owen, on Tatooine...and your mother took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator Organa, on Alderaan."

...The Organa family was high-born and politically quite powerful in that system. Leia became a princess by virtue of lineage-no one knew she'd been adopted, of course. But it was a title without real power, since Alderaan had long been a democracy. Even so, the family continued to be politically powerful, and Leia, following in her foster father's path, became a senator as well. That's not all she became, of course-she became the leader of her cell in the Alliance against the corrupt Empire. And because she had diplomatic immunity, she was a vital link for getting information to the Rebel cause.

20. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    The fact that the ROTJ novelization calls Owen Lars, Obi-Wan's brother, discounts it right there.

My opinion is that in Episode III we will find out how Padme dies, but we may not actually see it happen--Palpatine could slowly poison her and we'd see the beginnings of it, for example. It probably happens when Leia is around two or so--that would be early enough to give her vague memories.

21. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Of course Padmé dies. It's just a topic for discussion about when, where, why, how, who etc, etc. I get the feeling that it's going to be messy if Episode III kills her off.

22. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The fact that the ROTJ novelization calls Owen Lars, Obi-Wan's brother, discounts it right there."

It discounts the "Obi-wan - Owen Lars" relationship, but it doesn't necessarily render everything else in the novel moot. Lucas changed some aspects of the novel for the films, but there are still more similarities than differences between the two.

Besides, novelizations are much higher canon than personal theories. ;)

23. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Could Padme have taken Leia there & then hidden out as a "nurse"? Like the way Moses' mother (of the Old Testament) acted as his nurse when Pharoah's daughter adopted him?

Just a thought...

24. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    seeker_two: That's similar to what I've thought--and I saw a fan script written in 1983 that said the same thing (Amidala's name being "Arcadia" then, and her being another Jedi before the entire galaxy went to hell in a handbasket).

MeBeJedi:

Besides, novelizations are much higher canon than personal theories.

Sure they are--but Obi-Wan and Owen not being brothers was not my personal theory.

25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Sure they are--but Obi-Wan and Owen not being brothers was not my personal theory."

That wasn't directed at you. [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.