main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq do you RPG/Costume Making?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by varza, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I was wondering if anyone wanted to possibley start gathering outside of the meetings to start a group for RPGing.

Also I was wondering about maybe setting up a time when we can get together and work on costumes/costume ideas as a group. Maybe for one of the meetings or as an on going thing?

Maybe with these costumes we can use them for different events we go to or have....

jsut some thoughts. What do you think?

2. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I would definitely be interested...I've not gotten into the RPG thing yet...probably 'cause my ex-boyfriend eons ago was into it, but I'd be willing to try again.

As far as costumes, I've been working on a couple, so I would be happy to work together/help out etc.

3. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I don't know anything about RPG so I may not feel comfortable with it. I am creative but I can not sew so I do not know whether I would be any help. However I do have a friend that is a great seamstress. I would love to have a costume party. Heck I would love to have any kind of party. Ha! Ha!

4. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    I would love to try to make some costumes as well. And I would really like to try to RPG but maybe if we meet to do the costumes we can slowly start learning about the RPGing... I have started on it once but we never met again (girl got mad at me). I think I still have my dice and everything but not too sure. Will have to search for that and the book which is somewhere.

5. Lorithavon

Lorithavon Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    I have made my own jedi clothes, except for the robes because I can't find any fabric that I like. So if any one has any questions or any thing like that, I'll help as best as I can

-lor

6. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    well I found my book for the role playing. If you want I can bring it with me on sunday and you can check it out and maybe think on playing it. I just really want to play since I payed a pretty penny for the book and all.

BTW, any more thoughts on costume making? I really would like to try to make a jedi costume for myself. I will try other customes later. But I really want to the cape. And I have downloaded some plans on making a lightsaber handle as well. I am thinking of buying some of the materials this weekend....

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    if you would like some tips on costumes, come on up to the RMFF. these people are really good at costuming and can help you out allot. they are helping me do my jedi stuff.

8. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Welcom Lor!

Glad to have you!

I've been on the hunt as well for appropriated Jedi material and have yet to find it. BTW, my mom gets a pretty good discount at most fabric stores (she a quilter), so if you find anything, let me know.

9. Lorithavon

Feb 10, 2003
    When it comes to the right fabric it all comes down to timing and angle. Wal-Mart is usually my place for fabric, because it's the only place open at 2:00 am. So I actually got all my jedi fabric from there I bought monks cloth at about $5 a yard and duck canvas also around $5 a yard. Not too shabby for the late night Jedi.

But I'll definitely keep you in mind if I find some stuff at a real fabric store, witch I'm leaning to more and more since wal-mart's selection isn't all that good.

-lor

10. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Oops...did I say "appropriated"? (Very un-Jedi like.) Guess I had a dark side moment there. [face_devil]

I was lucky enough to get the fabric for my Barriss Offee cape (see icon) at Wallyworld for a buck a yard. Definitely the place to get it cheap so if you screw it up, big deal.

Cool website, LOR. Do you guys publish in any of the 'zines around town?

11. Lorithavon

Feb 10, 2003
    Naw those are just things the comic characters do, although neb and I did write a issue of Modern Stud Magazine back in 1996 if I remember correctly, but noting recent. We do have plans to start writing them and putting them up on the website, but so far laziness has surpassed the drive to do more issues.

-lor

12. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    wook - what type of material did you get for your cape?

I looked closely at Obi-Wan's cape in the movie and there doesn't look like there is much more to it then cut material-of course it looks like that. If I just cut something I would end up looking like ET....

I am thinking of before the meeting trying to make it to JoAnn Fabrics. In know in Sacto they had prety good materials for the outfits my friend was making for a RenFaire.

13. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    It was a stretchy kinda knit. Perfect color and texture, but it snags too easily. I'll bring it on Sunday. The pattern was pretty easy too. (For a first attempt, it wasn't too bad.)

14. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    cool! lor has said he may bring his as well... this will be so much fun... maybe I will wait to buy material until after the meeting and all so that I can see what kind has been used already....

15. Lorithavon

Feb 10, 2003
  16. Lorithavon

Feb 10, 2003
    the last link ... and now it works!

more boots

-lor

17. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    thanks for the links lor! very cool...

Okay so we are set to start working on getting a role playing group started and costuming as well....

I am going to reread my book today on the rules and I will post some of the info here. I was thinking maybe for the first RPG meeting of just using that time to set up our characters (for those that don't have the book already). Lor mentioned last night that "Page 1 too" across the street from Page 1 may have some of the rpg books there-cheap. I am going to be going into town on wednesday and I will see what I can find an let you know.

First things first, we need to set up a place, date and time for the first RPG meeting - which will most likely be seperate from the regular fan force meetings.

18. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    what you need...

okay I looked at the list in the book on what is needed (I have never done please bear with me) anyways, other then paper and pencils and such here is what it says:

1 or 2 - 4 sided dice
    4 or more - 6 sided dice
    1 - 8, 12 and 20 sided dice
    2 - 10 sided dice

also, they suggest a miniature or action figure or something to represnet your character in the game...

I will post more later.

BTW, we will need a game master.. anyone want to do the job? Thinking it should be someone who knows about live role playing... anyone?

19. Lorithavon

Feb 10, 2003
    Here is the Link for the Character Sheet PDF for those people that wanted to play the RPG

Free Character Sheet

-lor

20. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    I found the material for my Obi-Wan cloak in the clearance area at Joann Fabric's. I have no idea what kind of material it is, it just seemed to work. I doubt I can do much of the RPG stuff, but I think it's a great idea. I used to do RPG back in the early 80's with a sci-fi game called "Traveler", but I don't remember anything from it. I think I played Dungeons & Dragons two or three times. In fact I still have some of my dice. Never could bring myself to get rid of them. :)

21. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Awesome Links Lorr!! Very inspiring!!

22. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    joann fabrics has a pretty good selection. I was thinking of going there to look my materials-and patterns as well.

Only problem is that I can not find a full frontal picture of Luminari Unduli... if anyone has seen one let me know. I am pretty sure that her clothes are almost the smae as Bariss's clothes. I just want to make sure I get it as close as possible...

skrya its nice to see you back on the board hope things have been well for you.

23. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    I'll keep an eye out for the pic of Luminara.

My quest is for cheap boots. I saw some vinyl riding boots somewhere on the internet some time ago, have to go back and look for the site.

24. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    thanks I found a pic of her at the offical site from the pre-production drawings. Its hard to get a great idea but it gives me some hints of what the outfit may look like.... then again if no one knows-I can do pretty much anything, right?

Luminara Unduli

I will keep my eyes out for any inexpensive or sales at some of the tack shops in the area-not many but a few and you never know.

25. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Varza, I've got the Luminara figure, so that might help.

Got the itch yesterday to check out Joann's..$.99 patterns and got some fabric for the picnic dress, or at least a variation that I'm going to wear to a friend's wedding this summer. Didn't see any fabric for Jedi costumes though, but I'll keep an eye out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.