main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you still hate the "NOOOO"?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 5, 2015.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Adding something to a beloved film 3 decades after it's release doesn't make it "necessary."
    I remember my first watching of ROTS, it was the darkest a most emotional part in the saga, I had just witness the destruction of the Jedi, the Republic, and the complete unwraveling of Anakin. Just when the film has sucked you in completely into the aura of sadness and darkness that has enveloped the galaxy, Vader comes out with his corny "Nooo," and...I laughed. I couldn't hold it in. It is completely ridiculous and pulled me out of the film. Lightspeed ships? Okay. Gay robots? Okay. Distraught man letting out a long drawn out Shakespearean "Noooo"? Mm mm now way, can't buy it.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I know my opinion is in the minority, but I thought that scene was well done. The guy is literally using mechanized limbs he has never used before and is now officially "more machine than man" so it makes sense he stumbles around a little.

And he just found out he killed his wife.... given that he can't just drop an f-bomb, what else is he supposed to yell?
    I've never heard someone say "my favorite scene is R2 and 3PO wandering the Dune Sea" but that doesn't mean it doesn't work as it should.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Star Wars was a Big NOOOOOO series long before I-III were released. As such, the moment in ROTS didn't bother me.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I have always loved the Noooooooooooooooooo! because of what it signified.

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 'no' or the Frankenstein stumble as he takes to his feet. Its just a shame we didn't get more Vader unleashing his rage on the Jedi after that.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Never really was bothered by any of them. Except for maybe Luke's Nooo as I found he over did that a bit.

7. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I still don't like it, they could have done it better, but I dislike Luke's no in ESB more

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes, Luke is such a wuss about it all.

Jedi up Luke!

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I can tell you from personal experience that a lot of people misunderstand the original scene and think Vader is simply executing his plan of overthrowing the Emperor and ruling the galaxy with Luke at his side. Lucas and the others discussed this in story meetings before the film was released and they all agreed that it might give people the wrong impression--in fact, it was Lawrence Kasdan who pointed this out to Lucas. But Lucas convinced them that it would be okay as long as Anakin made his motivations clear during his subsequent death scene. In the interim, it seems Lucas decided it should be abundantly clear in the moment what Vader's motivations are.

You might disagree that the change was necessary, but there is a logic there. People really do misinterpret that scene, and that's a big problem because it's the basically the emotional climax of the series. If it has to be explained after the fact, the scene is robbed of a lot of its power. And some people do need it explained.

10. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    to be honest I didn't even notice it on my first viewing I was so into the scene, my brother in law pointed it out to me afterwards saying "They could have done without that" I didn't know what he meant. I have no feelings either way for it,I get what they were going for Anakin tinkered with mechanics and droids as a child for fun and now he is one, It's Frankenstein's monster so of you want to add a corny "NOOOOO" in there it's perfectly fine, Palpatine should have said "IT'S ALIIIIIIVE" in an over the top way to match. I generally tend to make fun of it though cause it's easy to.but then I also make fun of more serious stuff like Alderaan blowing up.

mes520 likes this.
  11. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I like it just because it reminds me of an old serial tv show...the way it's shot and executed...you ca n totally imagine it in black and white as a silent film or something with inserted title cards reading "noooo!" it would have been cliche but it's vader! I love it! I use that quote all the time especially in forums!

Like this: Hilary Clinton may be the next president of the u.s...
    [​IMG]
    print screen windows xp

-Jedi Joe- and Cryogenic like this.
  12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Fine in principle, the execution is lacking though. Even if he'd just shouted something incoherent, a scream of rage rather than the word 'Noooo' it might have worked a bt better for me, or perhaps Sidious looking a little more alarmed/genuinely shocked by just how much damage Vader can still do or something similar. The body language works, it's literally the delivery that takes me out of the moment.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Uh... you're joking, correct?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm neutral on this. I saw the movie 5 times in the theater and never heard anyone laughing. I'm sure it didn't work for some people but if it wasn't for the Internet I'd have never known it.

15. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    I don't hate the idea, but it's definitely a bad take.

16. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I never have found a problem with that scene and until about two years or so ago, I wasn't aware that other people cared either. Luke screaming in TESB is way worse.

I definitely agree with Beezer on this. What's he supposed to do? Just stand silently and stare at Palpatine after being told he murdered his wife and being stuffed in a mechanical suit?

Beezer likes this.
  17. Darth_TGK

Darth_TGK Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2015
    I have no problem with it. Especially considering Lucas wanted it to be a very frankenstein type moment and it fit well. The issue is people continue to forget why he made the movies in the first place. The prequels still had those childish Saturday morning black and white serial elements to it. Personally I feel that they get better with time due to the very fact they have these elements to them.

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Hate is a strong word. So no, I don;t hate it, but I really don't like it, and really wish George hadn't put it in ROTJ. Not a fan of the Frankenstein tribute either. Comes off as cheesy to me.

19. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I've never minded it that much. I'm not sure what else his reaction is supposed to be there.

20. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    More than anything else, the "Nooooooo" makes me ashamed to be a Star Wars fan. Jesus, that was cheeeeeeeeeesy. :mad:

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Didn't bother me in the slightest given that Star Wars has been established as a "big nooooo" type of story since '77.

Darkslayer and Deliveranze like this.
  22. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    I don't hate ROTS "Noooo!" because I find it so hilarious! [face_laugh]

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Never has. TBH the only one in the PT I was slightly bothered by was Obi-Wan's in TPM. It looks comedic if you take it out of context - his mouth forms a practically perfect "O." [face_laugh]

24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Nooooo. Seriously though, nah. I like it alot actually. It's like all of Vader's crimes have come back to take revenge. He took lives and now the life he's killed for has passed. It's even more twisted because he believes he did it. The only No I dislike was in episode IV.

25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes! Luke's "Noooo" in ESB was extremely dodgy - taking away a *little* bit from one of the most important scenes in the history of film. The Vader "no" isnt so good either and probably bothers people because the prequels were already irritating people at that point.