main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you think a reboot is inevitable?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StoneRiver, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would a reboot be....?

1. A good thing

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A bad thing

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. An interesting decision

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. ignored

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. not actually happening

49 vote(s)
    42.2%
  1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    When the ST is finished, and there are a slew of spin-off films, how would you feel if Disney decided it was time to reboot/re-imagine the entire saga?

I would actually be intrigued. Not because I want it, but I would be interested in seeing someone else's version of the same story. I'd still have my original SW, and they'll be my favourites 'til my dying day.

It could be interesting.

Would you be OK with it, and if so what would be the plus points? What would the downside be? Would you reject it in everyway? Or do you just disagree that Disney would ever dream of doing such a thing?

What are your thoughts?

2. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    I'd be alright with it. I don't get people going "Ahhhh no they are going to ruin Star Wars". You know the original movies are still there. You can still own them. They aren't going away. It would be interesting to see the movies in a different light. The new Star Trek movies have been awesome.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know, sometimes reboots are a good thing (like the Dark Knight trilogy), but most of the time not so much.
    Reboots are not necessary when the original films are good if you ask me. Star Wars will never need a reboot, but maybe sometime in the future, it will get one. I sincerely hope not.

4. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Same as me then :)
    I agree SW will never need to be rebooted. But the movie industry does have that trend nowadays and I can see it happening within my lifetime (in the next 40 odd years). I would definitely be interested to see it from a different perspective.

Reboot is the same as remade isn't it?

Darth_Pevra and Episode Swag like this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it will happen one day, maybe a couple decades from now. I voted interesting decision, because projecting it that far into the future it's hard to say.

6. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Yeah, I appreciate that it's hard trying to predict something far off (I firmly believe it isn't happening any time soon). I just thought it could make for an interesting conversation, weighing up pro's and con's, venting disgust at the very thought of it, etc etc.

Not only that, it's something new to talk about in the EPVII and beyond forum ;)

7. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    My hope is E IX will be the end of the "Skywalker" Saga and that the spin offs will fill in some of the missing time periods (and favorite characters) during 1-9.
    Then I hope the the reboot, is long before the TPM, leading up to the eventual retelling of the Skywalker Story.

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I think the freedom that the SW universe gives to future authors makes a reboot completely unnecessary. The stories we have seen so far are only a few decades in thousands of years of existing history of that universe, and not to mention the completely unexplored future - which can basically go on forever.

I am against making a reboot, not so much because I want to "protect the sacred saga" but more because I feel it would be boring to revisit same places and characters over and over again.
    We should keep moving forward, not endlessly run around in small circles that we've already seen.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    There's absolutely ZERO chance of a reboot ever happening. We'll see Hell freeze over and the end of the world before it ever becomes a remote possibility. Disny wants to build on what has already come before -- they've said it. They also do not intend to spend on the order of 200 million on the each of the 3 ST films only to scrap the saga and "reboot/re-imagine the entire saga?" Makes ZERO sense.

Will they start from a different point in the continuum? Perhaps. I hope they start back in the era of the old republic as they would have virtually a clean slate of possibilities to tell stories. Makes a ton of sense. Will there be an Episode 10, 11, 12??? Perhaps. I also think this swould be great. AND this would be a close to a reboot as you'll see since the SST woild most logically NOT be as closely related to the Skywalker saga as the ST presumably will be.

So to sum up--

REBOOT = Hell no! LOL
    RESTART = Very likely
    CONTINUATION = Possible depending on the ST success

10. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    My gut tells me that it would be naïve to think that they'll never reboot the saga.

stormcloud8 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Inevitable. I just don't see mainstream audiences going for a long term EU-like film universe. Eventually the formula established in the new trilogy will get tired, and when that happens I don't see how Disney would not be keen to bring back the original icons. Wouldn't bother me, to be honest. In some ways it would be interesting to see the story redone with some revisions. For instance Leia after ANH strikes me as too much of a love interest for Han and not enough of a character in her own right.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't think so. Disney doesn't do a lot of reboots. Just a lot of re-releases and what-not. I think that will happen. The films will be released again and again for new generations to experience them.

13. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

This this this this this. The Star Wars chronology has HUGE open spaces where writers can do more or less whatever they want. There are endless opportunities to create a new set of films with no ties to the original saga. There's really no need to reset the canon.

Plus, you need to remember there's basically 3 criteria studios have for "reimagining" a film or franchise:

1. How ingrained is the original in the mind of the public (or, How defensive will people get when they find out we're trying to redo a story they love)?

2. Do we THINK we can do better?

3. Will rebooting it increase it's franchise potential?

There's been a few questionable reboots and remakes over the years that don't pass one or two of those criteria, but Star Wars completely fails all three. Disney has nothing to gain from resetting canon, but they have a LOT to lose.

14. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Once Disney bought SW I thought they would go down the spin off route. Then I thought why not do something like this...

Chapter 1 Epidode ?-? The Old Republic
    Chapter 2 Episode I-IX The Skywalker Saga
    Chapter 3 Episode ?-? "Whatever..."

This way you don't have to reboot and really this thing can go on forever.

Just a thought...

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reboot I would possibly see is a Game of Thrones type re-imaginning of the saga.

TheManFromMortis and Graphic like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No I don't think it will ever happen. As others have said I think it's completely unnecessary (not to mention very risky) and also I don't think Lucas would ever sell his story to anyone if he didn't have assurances that his work would never be rebooted, re-imagined, remade, whatever.

Echo-07, The Hellhammer and eht13 like this.
  17. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    The galaxy is vast enough that there is no need to reboot anything ever. Simply begin telling a new story in a different part of the galaxy. The rules set up by the films we have so far are not really limiting factors to the story. It isn't like they killed the ability to use the force or something galaxy breaking. You write a new conflict and keep it going. All of the Star Wars we've received over the years has shown that the concept is entirely malleable and you can shift the tone in any way, pull from any genre, and as long as the story fits the mold. Rebooting Star Wars would be a horrible idea that isn't necessary.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'll just give my usual succinct answer that I provide any time discussion of rebooting the OT or PT comes up:

"Noooooooooooooo!"

19. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    I think they may eventually remake the PT.
    They definitely wouldn't ever remake the OT.

Unlike every other movie ever made the OT is untouchable for a remake.

20. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Why reboot? SW have a rich 25,000 years history and why do we need to center around Darth Vader a second time?

I am very confident that if Disney make a KOTOR/TOR or stories set far into the future after ROTJ and make it very well. It might surpass all the 6 movies easily and there could be another villain far cooler than Vader and another set of very likable heroes like Han Solo, Chewie and Obiwan.

So, IMO, reboot? Please, no! Just make more SW movies than the announced ST and spin-off's. We need saga set in another time line instead of reboot.

21. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    After thinking about this for a long time, I really wouldn't want them to do it, however a PREQUEL REBOOT has a lot of potential, but don't re-do the OT.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  22. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think it would be interesting, and hell it's possible. Certainly not going to happen anytime soon. But who's to say that this can't happen in 40 or 80 years from now? A lot can happen between now and then, you never know.

Also, a reboot is not necessarily a remake. A remake is a literal re telling of the same exact thing word for word scene by scene. The only difference is that it would be modern. A reboot is more or less a company pushing the reset button on a franchise. When rebooting, a company takes the basic ideas of a franchise and changed them up a bit because they thought the way it originally was wasn't selling enough.

Take for example in video games, the Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 3DS is a faithful remake. Nothing is different (gameplay and content wise) from the original. Well, save for the second quest of course.

However, the new Tomb Raider game is a great example of a reboot. Laura Croft was all about being the busty heroine in video games. They changed that up in the newest game by putting her in unforgiving situations in which she needs to survive somehow.

Just clearing that up. Remake and reboot are different.

StoneRiver likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    IMO, the immediate announcement from LucasFilm and Disney after the purchase was announced (really coinciding with that announcement) that they were making the ST movies and spin-off movies makes it pretty clear that Disney either has no intentions of rebooting / remaking any of the existing movies, or knows that they contractually cannot do so.*

* Note: Before this thread becomes another argument about what the contracts might say and what Disney can or can't do, I am just saying that this could be a hint of what the contracts might say regarding touching the existing movies.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I do think it's possible that a reboot might be done, but I think it would be quite far in the future if it was. As others have said, there is so much to work with as it is, I doubt they'll be a need any time soon. But somewhere down the road it may be an interesting prospect; Reboots can be fun if done well.

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    More than an actual full reboot, I'd like to see something like extended trailers featuring a serious attempt at recasting the major roles & reimagining the entire 6-episode Saga... a mini-movie vanity project, I guess, akin to stuff like Funny or Die parodies & the like--but 'serious'. Extended trailers for each film, new casts, some familiar scenes & scenarios, but hints at ways the story would've been tweaked a bit here & there, roles shuffled around a bit (i.e. strengthening Leia's character, for instance; maybe even eliminating Mon Mothma's character, so despite almost becoming a permanent slave to Jabba, she's actually been THE leader of the Rebellion for a time, and has known about the Emperor's plans about the Death Star and isn't taken by surprise when Han's revealed as the shield mission leader--have LUKE be the surprised one instead, instead of him coming in outta nowhere & breaking up the entire meeting, so his cluelessness about Han's promotion is explained by his absence on Dagobah--unlike Leia's surprise, which has zero explanation; she's just out of the loop)

Anyway. Tough to sell some of the changes, perhaps, but it could be a lot of fun to see. A big, expensive "What if...?" mega-trailer for each film. A Vader of a different design. A more alien Maul. An older EpI Anakin in a space-race around Tatooine's moons, instead of a drag-race in the desert. Etc.