main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think any of the Knights of Ren will have lightsabers (excluding Kylo)?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Andrew Macdonald, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    still noone answered me what happened with the lightsabers of Luke's killed students (if they had lightsabers). o_O

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't know that they had lightsabers. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke didn't emphasize that as much as the old JO did. After all, he ultimately wins his confrontation with Sheev, by throwing his lightsaber away and refusing to fight anymore.

Also we have no idea how common Kyber crystals are these days, so maybe they just couldn't build any yet.

3. Andrew Macdonald

Andrew Macdonald Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2016
    I want to see new weapons too, but any star wars movie director in their right mind would never throw away the lightsaber. Plus, we have seen a new duelling weapon in TFA, the Z6 riot control baton used by the stromtrooper duelling Finn. They also introduced the Electrostaff duelling weapon used by Grievous' Magnaguards in Revenge of the Sith. But they didn't throw away the lightsaber in either of those movies! Don't you see? We can both get what we want here, infact we have already got what we want. Personally I would like to see some of the KOF with completely unique duelling weapons (which we have already seen) and some with unique lightsaber designs.

4. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    -Rey has a lightsaber.
    -Kylo Ren has a lightsaber.
    -I wouldn't be at all surprised if Luke has a lightsaber.
    -Etc.

So they're not "ditching" them at all.

5. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah and if a bad guy comes around they are without protection.Hmmm, this could be why they could be easily killed even by non force sensitives. Maybe Luke regrets this later.

6. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    We also don't know:

-How many students he had.
    -How old/far along in their training they were.
    -The exact circumstances of Kylo's attack.

nightangel likes this.
  7. Andrew Macdonald

Andrew Macdonald Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2016
    Maybe the fact that Kylo Ren's kyber crystal is cracked suggests that it's hard to find one in good condition during that time.

8. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm thinking it was his grandfather's crystal and was cracked when he used it to make his lightsaber. I think eventually the KOR will have lightsabers they just haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe it's hard to find crystals and Kylo (being the master) hasn't gotten to the point of showing them how to create a lightsaber yet. They are probably still at the infancy of their order.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Where would he have gotten Vader's crystal? I'm pretty sure that it fell down one of the reactor shafts on the DS, which then blew up.

10. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The title might imply it, but is hardly any guarantee. It's like how people address past US Presidents as "President" even if they're not anymore. I'd put more weight on their very telling absence before I let a title clue me in on their status. Not too married to the idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were long gone. That's why the reddit leak of the episode VIII story sounds a bit credible to me, to be honest.

There is such a thing as non-linear storytelling -- something at which Rian Johnson proved to be adept in Looper.

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No, I doubt it. If they show up, then I cannot really see them passing up the opportunity for a confrontation between them and Luke/Rey. There's just too much potential there, especially since it would be a different kind of duel/fight than we've seen before in these films.

Ullianos and nightangel like this.
  12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think this may be a central point made in Episode VIII. Luke emphasized a defensive, non-violent Jedi ethic. And this ultimately leads to most of his acolytes being killed. He therefore needs to do some epic soul-searching on a mountain to figure out the new path of the Jedi. Rey shows up with the lightsaber. Luke is still reluctant to travel the path of violence. Rey says that he must take up the sword, or evil will prevail. Luke finally decides that without the Jedi warrior, peace and justice cannot be properly defended.

Sarge, nightangel and Dra--- like this.
  13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    There is this concept art of the DSII throne room under water and people diving to this place. Maybe this concept will return. ;)

14. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I thought that that was meant to be Rey's introduction initially (diving down to part of the DS that was underwater)?

15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I think yes, but I'm at work right now, so I will check my artbook when I'm back home. ;)

16. Ullianos

Ullianos Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I would like to see that. Seeing an evil knight of the round table-esque group of baddies all with red lightsabers is just really badass. And lightsabers NEVER get boring for me. At least since we'll probably not see a group of jedi all fighting together again for a while.

Also yes, Luke and Rey fighting the KoR back to back would be AMAZING!

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe they had run out of crystals and did not have any lightsabres at all?
    I guess they were training with wooden sticks

18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Or other weapons, "Nine's" electric baton proved to be quite effective against lightsabers after all. ;)

19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I would absolutely LOVE to see a Sith Army battling Some Jedi. ie - KoR (7) against a few Jedi.

20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    you asked me about the underwater concept and here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Luke_Skywalker_1

Luke_Skywalker_1 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 2, 2015

Dra--- is being sarcastic and hyperbolizing the common criticism of TFA that it lacked originality.

Also, I think that RobbyV raises a great point. Whether their existence is implied or not, why weren't the KOR around during the events of TFA? If they are a powerful group, wouldn't they have been an asset to the FO and deployed on the mission on which the fate of the galaxy supposedly rest? Wouldn't they accompany Kylo to Jakku or Takodana to hunt down the droid? If they are just laying back and guarding Snoke, wouldn't Snoke and not Kylo be the master of the KOR (unless he was a member and earned his way above their ranks through merit, and Snoke granted him leadership over the group)? Why not utilize them or discuss utilizing them at any point in the film? I do think they are still alive, but this struck me as peculiar and a potential plot hole if they turn out to be a truly foreboding and active group in VIII.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    This. But I would take it one step further and say that we need weapons that have never been seen before in any movie, in any medium, on Earth, or in this galaxy. Star Wars takes place in a galaxy far, far away, and I feel like too much of it looks Milky Way-ish. There are a lot of stars of the types mostly found in the Milky Way, and planets that look similar to other planets in our solar system, such as Geonosis which is a bit too Mars-like, and Bespin which looks WAY too much like a cross between Venus and Jupiter. They need to go outside our solar system, and frankly, outside the Milky Way, for inspiration on this one.

Jakku Sun Aesthetic and Dra--- like this.
  23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Ah there it is, thanks.

Luke Skywalker r_1 I'm thinking that they were just off doing other things at the time (perhaps the individual members were scattered around the galaxy). Heck they might have been looking for Luke themselves. You didn't necessarily need them in order to subdue a tiny group of villagers living in the middle of the desert (heck the only reason why the FO failed to get the map is because of Poe's quick thinking/spur of the moment decision).

24. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    wait, is this legit?!

25. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Like someone said earlier in the thread, it would've looked awesome if all the Knights had lightsabers, especially the shot of them in the rain. Sort of something like this:

[​IMG]

It'll be something that hasn't been seen in the films yet-a scene with a group of red lightsaber wielders. We've seen a group of Jedi with sabers ignited, but not a group of dark-side practitioners.

Jakku Sun Aesthetic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.