main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST C-3PO and R2-D2 in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RepublicKnight95, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Yes, since Episode VI he's had three new sets of outer casing, and two new internal CPU's

2. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    My only hope is that Threepio's ST voice matches his OT voice. I always felt that Anthony Daniels voiced him as a higher-pitched caricature of himself in the PT.

StoneRiver and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  3. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    To me, he only sounds different in A New Hope. I agree that there is a definite change between that and the others.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I totally agree. He didn't sound quite right.

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Bad luck folks, Episode VII is set on a helium cloud.

6. markn74

markn74 Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2013
    They were the first characters we met, and, in my opinion, should be the last to be seen, whenever that end comes.[/quote]

Very true and fitting but I hope that will be quite some time away

Immortiss likes this.
  7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, they're droids, there are many ways they can survive even complete physical destruction. I'd say we're safe there.

T-R- likes this.
  8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I think 3PO will get a virus, and become the main villain

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  9. Keltoi89

Keltoi89 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2013
    Anthony Daniels will be pleased, I suppose. He can finally get back to work again.

In all seriousness though. Star Wars wouldn't be Star Wars without the two droids being in there. R2 is far too useful not to be in the sequels and what would we do without the ridiculously annoying C3PO, gibbering away in the background?

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    As I said earlier, Lucas said in an interview from the early/mid 80's that at the end of IX it would flash forward in time to the droids telling the story to children.

run_luke_run and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  11. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    While I do think there'll be a lot of main-ish characters to accommodate, I can't imagine the droids won't be in the thick of that. It just wouldn't be Star Wars without it.

I've always assumed GL's droid-narration framework would be used if the ST got made. I think a parting shot of the two droids as the curtain falls is very likely.

And yes to 3PO saving the day for once. With no horrible AOTC- style puns.

12. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    And in The Making of Revenge of the Sith book, Lucas says the films are the story that R2 is recounting to the "Keeper of the Whills" a hundred years after ROTJ. :-B

Bail B. Baobab, Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  13. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    What?! Really?! This is kinda huge.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well sadly for you, they can't get Anthony Daniels to voice him for the ST, so they're settling on the ghost of Isaac Hayes.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The PT had the problem of introducing all the characters and getting them together in a much more convoluted circumstance than the OT had to deal with. Now that the droids are fully integrated into the group, I expect that they will likely remain in the thick of things for the most part.

16. Bob Octa

May 6, 2013
    Yup! For realz.

I read it directly from the book a few days ago. Lucas says it to Rob Coleman while on-set, on the first day of shooting (pg. 72).

It's also mentioned in a wikia entry: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Keeper_of_the_Whills

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That really sounds like Lucas's typical dry humor to me, and he had a tendency to joke around with Coleman a lot, so I wouldn't take anything like that at face value.

18. Bob Octa

May 6, 2013
    I somewhat agree. Throughout the book, Rinzler documents many of Lucas' little deadpan one-liners to his crew. But, those jokes are pretty self-evident, while here it's stated matter-of-factly (or ambiguously at worst). If the droids-telling-the-story thing wasn't already an idea Lucas has toyed with for decades, I would more easily accept it as him making an absurd joke. That said, it doesn't mean this or any incarnation of the droid story device will ever be made official. It's just interesting that the basic idea has survived this long, though; joke or not.

Immortiss and Mystery Roach like this.
  19. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    It could be argued that C-3PO and R2-D2 are the main protagonists of ANH. ANH begins and ends with them and they have the most screentime of anybody.

20. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Yeah, I'm gonna need a direct quote on that one.

21. RepublicKnight95

RepublicKnight95 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014
    So I assume Obi-Wan and Anakin will not be appearing in all 3 films in the sequels?

T-R- likes this.
  22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    No problem, just go to your local library and look up old Lucas interviews on microfilm from 1977-1990 like I did back in 1995. This was from a US Weekly, TV guide, or TIME interview. I think it was in the 82-85 timeframe.

If I have time I will look for my copy of it, but it's not high on my priority list.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  23. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why I keep saying we need to assemble a clearinghouse Lucas-quote thread. And it's becoming more and more clear to me that we're seriously going to need one. DO consider it, won't you? :D

Beezer and Echo Base like this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It would be fine to have one. Are you guys ready to start one now or do you want some time to compile stuff first? If you're ready, someone can go ahead and start it now. You may fire when ready. :cool:

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lucas quotes are funny because he always goes back and forth on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.