main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Darth Maul would be always faithful to Sidious?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarkStarkiller, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    Like acting as a full-time bodyguard for all of his life? Or do you think mual would eventually turn on him to get the power for himself?

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think he had the initiate or ambition to betray his master.

3. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Honestly? No. Darth Maul always seemed too subservient to ever try and succeed his master. In Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Maul says that his life belonged to Sidious and that if his master ever wished its end, he would give it up without hesitation. In my opinion, Maul was an incredibly powerful Sith warrior however, he was not one to further the Sith legacy.

4. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Fixed.

5. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I have to agree. We don't get to see much of Maul, but what I do see is that he is loyal to his ideals (REVENGE ON JEDI) and he is loyal to Sideous.

I think it is wrong to assume that because we got such a static short snapshot of the character that he would remain loyal throughout his life. People change. Loyalties change. I think he might start to question Sideous's commitment to vengeance against the jedi at some points during this ten year plan.... "No disresect or nothing, but like - how long is this going to take? I wanna start beating people up right now!!! I got the pajamas! Wooo saa saa saa.. Pretty good eh?"

6. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Maul was very powerfull, and its true that people change. But i dont see Maul as a leader, or master. He is a warrior, i dont think he is the one to give orders, and send people to do his dirty work. He cleans up on his own.

7. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    In time, with experience and more knowledge, he would probably get tired of living in Sidious' shadow, especially if Sidious were Emperor and Maul spent all his days in a dark temple practicing lightsaber techniques. Tyranus got to run the Seperatists and wage war on the Jedi, and Vader got to run the navy and hunt down Rebels. Maul would eventually want more power. He's content in TPM, but as a man gets older, his definition of "power" changes, and he'd want a slice. If he were still around in TESB or ROTJ, Sidious would be wise to give him a nice, cushy bureaucratic job on the other side of the galaxy, constantly surrounded by Royal Guards and spies loyal to Sidious, lest Maul start to get overly-ambitious.

It's inevitable for the Sith to usurp their masters, because of their impatience and greed. Anakin planned to turn on Sidious immediately, Tyranus took a few years, and Maul would have plotted against him too, just way down the road.

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Always faithful to Sidious?
    No...

That is not the nature of the Sith. If one is to understand the great mystery of the Sith, one must study all its aspects... even the experimental-nature of juvenile-training. There is a great-schism between how Lord Maul and Darth Vader became Sith Lords.

One; Lord Maul, was raised in devotion to the darkside... he's was refined into a weapon of hate. He was in control of his fear, and maybe most importantly... Darth Maul had a purpose. Raze the Temple....

The other; Darth Vader, was almost raised in confusion... he wasn't free, he was selfless, yet possesive... he was deeply afraid of change... he had a dream, but never learned to control his fear and from his own lips he said he had no sense real of purpose... he wanted more as a Jedi.

Alot has been made that Maul didn't attempt-to, or even once mention over-throwing his Master, as did Tyranus and Vader. And here is where the difference exists... Maul was devoted to the darkside and the ways of the Sith, whereas Vader and Tyranus were corrupted by it... There was no reason for Maul to want to overthrow his Master during the events of TPM because his focus was on revealing themselves to and then destroying the Jedi. Why would he want to kill his master when there are THOUSANDS of Jedi to be slain? How stupid it would have been for Maul to WANT to kill Sidious when the very thing he's trained his entire life for, is waiting on the horizon? Vader and Tyranus may have despised the Jedi-way of living, but they lacked the conviction that Maul had to "utterly destroy them all"...

And finally, to suggest that: 'Maul would never desire to rule/overthrow his Master' is beyond absurd because it flies in the face of how Bane's Sith operated. Maul would never have been selected as an heir to Bane's plot had he not possessed the raw potential to one-day surpass his Master. As long as there were Jedi, Maul would not rest... once they were all destroyed... Maul would have eventually turned on Sidious. It is the way of the Sith.

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Maul wanting to kill Sidious in TPM would have been stupid, but it would have been Sith. When Palpatine killed Plagueis there were thousands of Jedi to kill. You say Vader lacked the conviction to utterly destroy the Jedi and yet he has far more Jedi blood on his hands than Maul ever did. Vader carried out the Purge afterall. Maul killed one Jedi in the films and at most 3 in the EU while Vader helped kill almost every Jedi in the temple and Mace.

10. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I gather that he did try to kill Sidious?

After he was given the Darth title I would not doubt his dedication to the ideals of the order.

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    He tried in the EU I think, though my point is just that Maul is an incredibly sub-par Sith Lord.

12. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    I would agree.

Being killed by a padawan proves this.

13. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Maul wouldn't have tried to usurp Sidious pre-TPM. If the EU says so, then that's just ridiculous.

14. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    It isn't.

He tried to kill him in desperation as part of his final test.

He was taught that he would one day have to kill his Master.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No, it would have just been stupid. Maul was devoted to idea of destoying the Jedi... Anakin was devoted to aquiring more power... he was told killing Jedi would make him stronger. PT Vader had no clue and was delusional because of his lust... Maul was way-more in control.

That isn't the issue, Palaptine had been the Apprentice for decades... and we all know about Plagueis and his experiments. So Sidious either killed his Master out of self-preservation, or he felt that there was nothing more to learn from the Muun.

He was in position to have said blood on his hands... And Vader appears to have done much, much less than we were led to believe when talking about his involvement with the purge. Ben must've got the facts messed up...

If we're picking bones, then Maul and Sidious were the only Sith Lords to ever execute any Jedi onscreen. In the EU, Maul single-handedly wiped out Black Sun and other darkside Force users. We've only seen a holo of PT-Vader dueling Jedi, and Ben sacrificed himself before OT-Vader cut him down. The EU portion of the Purge for Vader is still a work in progress.
    But he whacked plenty on his own: from The Jedi at Kessel... The Jedi on Kashyyyk... The Dark Woman... to Zonder on Coruscant.

16. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Power is a means to itself for the Sith. Maul was far too devoted to his master than is right for a Sith Lord, just as Vader was at the end of his life(other than the whole 'redemption' thing.)

True, but if the Sith were supposed to be solely dedicated to destroying the Jedi, Palpatine violated that by killing his master while there was still a strong Jedi Order to destroy.

What Ben said was accurate "Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights." He marched straight into the temple and started killing Jedi left and right.

True, though we certainly get implied killings on Vader's part such as the execution of the Younglings.

Maul wiped out Black Sun and some other Dark Siders, but at least if Vader's Purge goes as it has been said too for years he'll kill far more.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    And I believe (based upon the comics and Novels) that Maul was more devoted to the Dark side and the ways of the Sith than he was to Sidious.

True, (FACPOV) that Sidious violated the rule (Which in the past I have acknowledged that before in other threads), but not (FACPOV) if the Sith Apprentice is ready to become the Master... decades had passed... from how it turned out, Sidious was ready.

Remember, Sidious took Maul as an experiment, while he was an Apprentice himself... as a perversion of the Jedi padawan. Once Sidious felt the Muun was of no further use, he made his move and already had a worthy-enough Sith apprentice in waiting.

The Sith Order and Its survival was important to Maul... moreso than it was for PT Vader who was simply power-hungry and greedy. Maul had barely been the named Apprentice for about a year or so when they revealed themselves to the Jedi, there was too much of Bane's Revenge on the table to even think about usurping the Sith throne...

But given time, he would have turned on his Master. Unless of course people are unawares that Maul already tried to kill his Master once... its how he got the name Maul.;)

Fixed...[face_laugh] Its all about POV I guess.

But that ain't much to shake a stick at, much less a lightsaber...

As for the purge, i'm anxious to see just how many Jedi that Sam Whitwer gets to take out.

18. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    In the end, Maul would eventually turn on Sidious and claim the mantle of the Dark Lord of the Sith. It is the way of the Sith. When the apprentice has learned all he can from the master (or the master has become weak), the apprentice kills the master and takes his place.

During the time of The Phantom Menace, Maul was no where near ready to overthrow Sidious. He was more than content to sit back and allow his master's plan to come to fruition. In the end, he would have tried to kill his master, as all Sith do.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    ^^ Sweet and to the point! =D=

20. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I didn't think of that..that Darth Maul's name is the word maul, for biting his Master's hand. [face_thinking] Maul being what an animal will do to you rather then the word for a type of tool. Maul will maul you to death, coming at you fast and vicious and not stopping until you are dead.
    That sounds awsome!

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    He was trained to Maul the Jedi...
    Had he not been written out of the story, there would have been ten years of EU stories to tell about him 'going at the Jedi with brutally intense, vicious-precision and not stopping until many of them were dead.'

22. MasterEric

MasterEric Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2007
    Personally, I think eventually he's going to try to replace Sidious. (as pointed out by many; way of the sith) Especially if sidious is ruling the galaxy as emperor, while Maul is nothing but a lackey. I would imagine at some point he'll think he's learned all he can from Sidious and then its only a matter of time. Though, to be honest, I don't think Maul would ever be remotely strong enough to overthrow Sidious, so he might be stuck accepting his role as second fiddle till his death unless a remarkable opportunity presented itself. (Vader's in the throne room comes to mind) I guess my thoughts on this are no he would not always be faithful, though he might be forced to serve Sidious indefinitely. If that makes any sense...

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree. Most of you people are not giving Darth Maul enough credit. He would have became more powerful in the long run (he had just completed his training in TPM, right?) and would have challenged Darth Sidious for his title. Evil breeds distrust and greed and he would have shown this had he lived.

24. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    But he wasn't unstoppable, was he;)

I think rather that many seem to give too much credit to Maul and the Sith in general...

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Perhaps some do not give them enough... credit that is.
    I mean, a two man team toppled an Order that numbered in the thousands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.