main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Darth Maul would be always faithful to Sidious?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarkStarkiller, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    with the help of a few thousand clones

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Point is... 10,000 monks got outsmarted by 2 evil monks.

3. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I dont think Sidious could have accomplished what he did with only Maul as his apperentice.
    I think Sidious sooner or later needed to replace him. If Maul had not died in TPM, i think he would have to battle Dooku to defend his title as Sith apperentice. So i dont think he would live long enough to even think about challenging Sideous.

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The genius of Sidious is that he could have done everything in the PT without the aid of an apprentice. All he needed was mistrust, corruption, greed, and a private army at his disposal. Tyranus and Vader made things a little easier, but he could have accomplished everything without them.

5. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Oh yeah, but as you've stated many times before; the Jedi seem needlessly incompetent and ignorant.

I actually meant power wise as I don't think the Sith are more powerful than the most powerful Jedi, which it is reasonable to compare. The Sith only pick the strongest, while the Jedi pick many more...

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    That's actually true I suppose, though I don't know how large a distinction there is between Sidious and the Sith as a whole for Maul.

Of course, but Sidious hardly did it the way Sith are "supposed" to.

Maul could have killed Sidious and then continued to fight the Jedi if he felt he was ready.

Palpatine was faking. :p

It is.

I am too. I'm hoping he won't end up taking out more than Vader but, I've got a feeling many of Vader's 'victims' will really fall to his Apprentice, but will be known as falling to Vader given that the Secret Apprentice "doesn't exist."

Edit:
    Don't you mean "10,000 monks who couldn't fully use the force got outsmarted by one monk who could without being detected."

7. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    once he learned all he needed to, Maul would've killed Palps. He a Sith after all. Thats what is expected

8. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If He failed to do less than Murder his Master and Take His Place as the Dark Lord than he would have been a failure to Sidious and a traitor to the Sith...

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right on point. Great observation...

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I agree.

11. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    I dont understand what everyones perception of Darth Maul is, but of course he would have tried to kill Sidious....

It's in his nature.

Darth Maul would have been another Darth Sidious (killing his master).

It is the sith way, and it was more than likely Sidious' plan.
    When Darth Maul died, the sith lineage died with him.

And let's not forget that (in the EU) he already tried to kill him.;)

12. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    I think as soon as he could he would have killed him without question. He's a pure Sith, its in his blood.

I wonder what it would be like to have Maul as your master? [face_worried]

13. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Isn't it conceivable, though, that when/if (whether you consider EU canon or not) Maul tried to kill his master and failed that Sideous would subsequently find him disposable? He was not powerful enough, nor wise enough to realize that he was not powerful enough. Sideous spent his lifetime waiting: He waited for the opportune moment to kill Plageus; he waited for the right moment to strike against the Jedi. When Maul failed at this, he must have been a dissapointment to his master, who was at this time both more powerful and wiser...

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No Maul didn't fail at it.
    Here is a brief summation:

Maul spent 30 days and nights on the run from constant waves of destoyer droids and was well beyond his own physical limitations by the time Sidious arrived. When Sidious challenged Maul to a duel it was over quickly. Maul, prepared himself for death... and Sidious mocked him, lied and told Maul he had been training another Apprentice in secret should Maul fail...

The anger and rage welled up inside Maul that he gathered every last ounce of strength within himself and he lunged at Sidious. Physically spent, it didn't amount to much and Sidious laughed, wait he cackled and threw his saber to the gound.

Maul passed his test. And with flying colors.
    See for a Sith-hopeful to become a Sith-Lord, they must kill someone of great import to themselves. Since Sidious was all Maul had ever really known, he had to be willing to kill his Master to be worthy of officially becoming the next heir to Bane's legacy. Once that was over, Maul focus was turned towards carrying out what he had been trained to do...
    destroy the Jedi. Heck the purge kept Vader busy for 20 years, so why wouldn't it have kept Maul just as busy?

15. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    And also, I'm sure that at some point Sidious tried to kill his master and failed.
    That probably explains why the next time he tried it, it was while his master was asleep.

16. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I think Sideous just realized that he would quite possibly fail at it, and I don't think he was much of a martyr; in which case I think both Maul and Dooku would be more courageous. But honour is for the living, isn't that so SSS?;)

Thank you for the summary SSS; always nice with some information

17. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    That would be an intersting thing to think about...
    He would probably be near unbeatable in the lightsaber department, and if he calls upon his rage when you fight him for the Dark Lord title, well you are pretty much dead.
    But to have him as a Master, I think he would be very intimidating to go against. He would probably teach you his way of handling things, plus he would be teaching you stuff that Darth Sidious taught him.

If it was me he was teaching, it would probably be to be unquestionably loyal like he was, how to use my anger, and stuff he learned from Sidious. And he would be just as harsh a teacher like Sidious was, as it was through pain and intimidation that he learned. He would probably goad me into trying to kill him, just to see if I could get past my fear of him and to see if I had the guts to murder a man who was very important to me. After that I would become an Apprentice, just like he did. I would take up his form of lightsaber, and I would learn to be a weapon as he was under Sidious. My lightsaberstaff would be a shorter form of his in length only as I am only 5 foot.
    My Sith name would be Darth Annihilus.

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I can't get over the idea of Darth Maul successfully killing his master.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Thats easy fix. After Vaal, when Vader found Sidious in the bacta-tank... I have no idea why he didn't whack him then. Maul could've easily seized that moment were he in Vader's shoes...

If Sidious could whack his Master while he was napping, why not whack Sidious when he's recuperating? We already know he didn't sleep...

The only reason the Mobile-Iron-Lung didn't rule the galaxy is because none of his Masters' could ever get him to think.;)

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Uh... because it wasn't in any of the films? :p

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I take it yer bored with the literature, eu and other Forums today?
    :D

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the EU, some things work, some don't, often within the same book.:)

23. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Well I think when sith lords "spar" with each other or are teaching their apprentices, there has to be a certain level of killer instinct at play.

I would think that during these sessions that anything less than "trying to kill" would be unacceptable, so I'm sure at some point Sidious released his hate/anger and tried to kill Plagueis.

24. Grievous93

Grievous93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2007
    I agree. Though I do think in terms of loyalty, Maul would have taken much, much longer to turn against his master than all the others. Remember, Sidious was practically a father to him. He would not so easily take the life and power of his guardian and teacher that had raised him from birth. With the other Sith, they had all succumbed to Sidious' leadership later in life, and therefore had not been as close to him as Darth Maul had been. Sidious did not intend for Maul to die, and saw that had he not he would have continued serving him for quite some time.

25. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    But Maul was a traditional sith.
    Every other sith lord was probably also raised by their masters.
    Sidious was raised by Plagueis...
    Plagueis by his master, and so on.

And I'm sure that never stopped any of them from trying to kill their masters, or delayed the attempts.

As soon as Maul thought he was powerful enough, father figure or not, he would have killed Sidious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.