main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Darth Tyranus is better than Darth Maul?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jedi_Master_Isaiah, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

Jedi_Master_Isaiah Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    I think Darth Tyranus was more powerful than Darth Maul. Maul was a skilled Sith duelist. But Tyranus has more lines and is more interesting. He's a better Sith duelist, and he is more powerful in the Force. That Sith lightning was surprising. That curved lightsaber of his is picular. Darth Tyranus is not bad for a guy who's over seventy years old.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    no way!!!

3. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Did you see that incredibly laughable way he shot the lightning, or the incredibly laughable way he rode the speeder bike, or the incredibly laughable mugging on his face throughout?

Give me Ray Park anyday. I got chills just watching him rehearse sans makeup in the TPM DVD.

4. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Okay, Homeless Jedi. Nice icon, though. You must be an Obi-Wan fan like I am.

Darth Tyranus is better than Darth Maul. I'm sorry, Maul fans. Of course, Darth Vader will be better than Tyranus.

5. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I think Maul was better than Dooku. Dooku was just too old to be be an Apprentice. Lee should have been in ATOC but Maul should have also been in it. COunt Doouku would just be Count Dooku and Darth Maul would be the Sith Apprentice. He should have escaped in TPM to be killed in ATOC. So that Darth Sidious recruits Anakin after the loss of Maul.

6. Darth-Spuddy

Darth-Spuddy Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2002
    I think this is an unanswrable question as they are two different types of character.

Dooku is more of an important character to the story than Maul is, as he is on Sidious' side and is helping to destroy the republic.

I think that Maul was a character in TPM solely to show off Jedi in their prime. I dont think you can deny that the Maul/OB1/Qui-gonn battle was the best visual battle in the 5 films so far. It was fast and the actors obviously had a bit more training in sword play than Mark Hamill and David Prowse.

So i would say that in respect of Dooku being an integral part of the story he is the better character, but for the adrenalin junkies out there who like action rather than plot Maul is the better character.

7. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    thanks for the compliment icon. yeah i cried when alec died.

to the point. darth maul was the baddest!! most evil star wars character i have ever seen!. he represents true evil, red face, horns, black robes. yellow eyes. he was bad.

he has a two bladed saber. his artform is flawless and smooth. he does not struggle to fight. he is seamless.

dooku is wiser and intellectual. but he is nothing compared to maul. no way!!

8. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Ray Park is a great actor, TokyoXtreme. But I think Christopher Lee a better actor. His Tyranus lines were great. I especially like: "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and togethe we can destroy the Sith!" During the duel, he really beat Obi-Wan and Anakin. Darth Tyranus was such a cruel Sith.

9. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Maul was far superior. He was much a better fighter. Watch both duels and there is really no logical reason for why Dooku beat Obi Wan so easily (5 seconds). Maul was striking much quicker in TPM! He was also swinging two blades at Obi Wan (until his saber broke).

Of course from a Force power standpoint, I suppose Dooku is more powrful, but for on-screen performance, I go with Maul. He made TPM. Dooku did not make AOTC. His lines were really not as great as they were hyped up to be. He never said much during the duel besides things like "I am far more powerful than you." That's not the most impressive line around. I expected some real psychological trash-talk and for Dooku to try and lure Anakin to the Dark Side.

Dooku asking Obi Wan to help him destroy the Sith was pointless. It was just thrown in to "mirror" ESB. Why the heck would Obi Wan accept that offer?? Dooku had just captured him and put him in restratins. There was no bond between them. Furthermore, Dooku's whole story at that time seemed outrageous. When Vader offered Luke the chance to join him, it was logical: vader had just told Luke he was his true father. Vader was also in a position to kill Luke and did not. There was an understandable reason for Vader to want Luke to join him. That was not there with Obi Wan/Dooku.

Darth Maul...R.I.P.

10. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Maul would kick dookus ass in a saber battle!

11. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    A saber battle is not just about swordsmanship. Dooku is clearly more powerful in the force so would of prevailed.

12. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Tyranus is better than Maul. Easy.

Sure Maul was nice to watch and I agree that the Maul/OB1/Qui Gon battle is about the best so far for lightsaber love.

However, Maul was almost a useless character. As far as the overall Star Wars plot is concerned, they could have replaced him with Puppet Pal Mitch!

13. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    In terms of lightsaber duels, I'm not sure how Tyrannus could have handled two opponents at the same time if Anakin had followed Obi-wan's lead. Maul's weapon and skill allowed him to handle two opponents simultaneuosly with relative ease. Of course, Christopher Lee is great and delivers his lines well.

14. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Dooku was better than Maul.

Here's evidence.

Yoda was faster and smoother in his fighting style than Maul was. Yoda was more powerful than Maul, and Dooku fought him and lived to tell the tale...unlike Maul, who couldn't even beat a Jedi Padawan. Therefore, Maul sucks.

Dooku would kick his ass.

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    You don't need evidence. Dooku was on the Council, he was a Jedi Master. He uses a dueling technique that no other Jedi in the galaxy can use.

He took down Obi-Wan and Anakin, no problem, and LIVED through an encounter with Yoda. Maul would have died quickly after Yoda opened up on him.

Dooku is better, by far. No debate there.

16. CHARGER

CHARGER Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2002
    Maul was FAR better than Dooku, Maul was a figure forged from the darkside. He was brought up to completely hate the jedi, if u have ever read the book "Shadow Hunter" you get the chance to see how he acts and thinks with his foes. He was a highly skilled warrior that could have maybe even taken on Yoda, coz lets face it he would have eventually have tired Yoda down and Dooku is at least near 80 standard years old. and to clear things uop for some people Obi-Wan was a standard 25 years in Episode 1 and 35 standard years in Ep2. so y when Obi-wan was like 56 in Ep4 was he so crap? and dooku aint or even Mace?? Maul only ever failed one mission and if it was him instead of Vader he would have killed his son! and he would never have been redeemed.
    Ross

17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I did like Darth Tyranus better than Darth Maul. I didn't really like Darth Maul in Episode 1. He was...shall we call it, hopeless.

18. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Well, one Sith is now called "Torso Boy" and lives at the bottom of a very deep shaft and another one is happily sipping brandy and kicking back on Coruscant waiting to be written into yet ANOTHER Star Wars movie.

Don't see how you can argue who's better. One Sith is dead after a very brief encounter, another one is still alive after going toe-to-toe with the most powerful Jedi master in 800 years.

Maul going up against Dooku would be similar to that swordsman going up against Indiana Jones. "Hey look at me! I can twirl, flip, jump and swing this double bladed lightsaber! hoo ha! Ph34r my l33t sk1llz d00d!" *slice slice* "Hey! No fair! You used your much powerful force powers to guide your saber to block all my super-cool attacks! That's not fair! Waaaah! You said you wouldn't! This is just like when I played Jedi Knight 2 on the computer! Where's my mommy?!"

But in reality, when it's all said and done, an argument like all this is about as productive as the "Unicron vs. the Death Star" and "The Enterprise vs. a Star Destroyer" argument.

-Jomero

19. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    "Maul was FAR better than Dooku, Maul was a figure forged from the darkside. He was brought up to completely hate the jedi"

...and how exactly does that make Maul better? Maul was probably more evil and stuff, but as a warrior...no...Dooku is better. A Jedi padawan took down Maul...Dooku took down a Jedi Knight, a better Jedi padawan than Obi-Wan, and lived through an encounter with Yoda.

Maul would have, let's face it, lost big time against what Dooku went up against.

20. 0Bl-WAN

0Bl-WAN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    This is stupid. Count Dooku is one of the most powerful Jedi ever to exist. After mastering the Jedi Arts, he began to dabble in the Sith Arts and has become a master of them as well.

Count Dooku, hamstrung Obi-Wan (the full Jedi Knight version) and severed Anakin's arm (the Chosen One.) Then he dueled Master Yoda to a stale mate. This all happened in succession.

Maul, killed Qui-Gon Jinn (in Lucas' words "past his prime") then was killed by his apprentice Obi-Wan (padawan version.)

If Maul were to fight Dooku, Maul would be dead before he even lit his saber.

21. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    At least Maul kills someone. Dooku could have killed both Ani and Obi instead of just slicing them.

22. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    This is one of those topics that will be argued for dozens of pages.

I think they are equal. I don't get into the whole "who was better than who" stuff.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Dooku was just too old to be be an Apprentice.

Arrgh..the term 'Sith Apprentice' does NOT have anything to do with age!
    It means that the wearer of that title is the low guy on the Sith Order totem pole.
    Note that Vader was nearly 50 in the OT, and he was STILL the Apprentice.
    Anyway..Maul was, IMO, a superior technical swordsman to Dooku, but Dooku had more raw Force power.

DarthBoba: SithLords r Us

24. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    As cool as Darth Maul was in TPM
    Darth Tyranus was even
    cooler in AOTC!
    They were both amazing
    with the lightsaber!
    Please look closely next time at
    Count Dooku (Lord Tyranus)
    instead of Yoda next time
    you see their duel!
    He´s just fantastic in
    that intense scene!

25. Cloaked_Warrior

Cloaked_Warrior Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2002
    There will never be a better Sith Lord, not master than Darth Maul. I mean in the sense of his dedication a ferocious hatred for his enemies.He never really spoke, always hid within his cloke, wielded a double bladed lightsaber, and took on TWO jedi at once and nearly won. Dooku has yet to convince me he is worthy of the tittle Sith Lord. I see no hatred in his eyes, and at the end of AOTC i was still kinda wondering if he really was a sith. Darth Maul to me represents what an apprentice should be like. His dedication to the Sith order still amazes me. Look into his face and tell me that is not a man full of hatred. His lightsaber alone puts in a class all to himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.