main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Darth Tyranus is better than Darth Maul?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jedi_Master_Isaiah, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    Maul absolutely sucks compared to Dooku. For one thing, at least Dooku actually talked. As someone said earlier, Maul was cool, but he was basically a useless character, put in the film because Park could do all the moves. He looked cool, and he fought cool, other than that, he was useless and uninteresting.

Thank God Maul was killed off, or AOTC would have had another uninteresting villian who can't act, can't talk, and is useless. I liked Maul from the standpoint of how he looked and how he fought. But as a character, he was nothing.

By the way, Dooku would have fried Maul before he took his first swing.

2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    FLAGG said: Sigh . . .
    Once again we have someone completely misunderstanding the point of a scene in the prequels. Dooku didn't want Obi-Wan to join him. He just wanted to sow the seeds of doubt in Obi-Wan's mind and make the Jedi paranoid and mistrustful of the Republic.

Thanks for clearing that up! (j/k). So Dooku wants to sow seeds of doubt. Do you honestly mean to tell me you think Obi Wan believed Dooku??? He is not going to believe anything Dooku says, at this point he knows he is evil. So how would his "lie" make the Jedi paranoid. GL makes a point of having Yoda say Dooku is a liar and deceitful, so at that point, your 'theory' is wrong.

The line, as said before, was just a throw-in to be a homage to ESB. It served no other purpose. Obi Wan does nothing with Dooku's information because he thinks Obi Wan is lying.

And besides there are about 30 other more conrete reasons the Jedi have to not trust the Republic. But of course, they ignore those too. ;)

Maul absolutely sucks compared to Dooku. For one thing, at least Dooku actually talked. As someone said earlier, Maul was cool, but he was basically a useless character, put in the film because Park could do all the moves. He looked cool, and he fought cool, other than that, he was useless and uninteresting.

What did Dooku say at all, that was of significance?? how many lines did he have? 10, maybe? And half of those lines was just him saying, "I am infiitely more powerful than you.." All he ever did was brag about his skillz. He contributed very little by ways of dialogue. His meeting with his CIS cohorts also said very little. He just sat there and nodded and gace thanks as they signed on with his plan.

Thank God Maul was killed off, or AOTC would have had another uninteresting villian who can't act, can't talk, and is useless. I liked Maul from the standpoint of how he looked and how he fought. But as a character, he was nothing.

At least Maul conveyed a feeling of evil and intimidation. Dooku did nothing of the sort. And were you impressed with the fighting of Dooku and his body double? They were not really impressive. The fights were way too short to even get hyped.

By the way, Dooku would have fried Maul before he took his first swing.

As if Maul could not block that silly Force lightning?? Please.

3. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "Do you think Darth Tyranus is better than Darth Maul?"

YES! of course.

that's like asking if Yoda is better then Mace. [face_laugh]

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Obi Wan does nothing with Dooku's information because he thinks Obi Wan is lying. "

Did you see the film? :p Obi Wan told what Dooku said to him to Yoda and Mace and as a result, they all agreed to keep a close eye on the senate. So that's exactly what Dooku did. Put the Jedi in a position to be the first to discover what's going on and therefore get labelled as traitors.

5. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Did you read my post above? I know Obi Wan told Yoda, and, as I said above, Yoda said that Dooku is a liar and deceiver. That his words cannot be trusted. So where did that information get them?? Oh, they're going to keep an eye on the Senate?? Ooooooh, and well all know how good the Jedi vision is. LOL. When I said Obi Wan did nothing, I meant as in tying to take Palpatine down or kill him, which would be the case if he truly believed Dooku that Palps was a Dark Lord of the Sith.

And this is even more obvious when you realize in the face of all the other much more concrete evidence of a Sith conspiracy, the Jedi do nothing.

6. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Yoda said that Dooku might have been decieving Obi Wan but then Mace said that they should keep an eye on the senate and Yoda agreed. It's not like Dooku expected them to arrest and interrogate all the senators. He just wanted to plant the seed of doubt.

7. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    And like I said earlier, the seed could not have been that much of a good one since the Jedi had a basic cautionary response to it. Yoda did not say Dooku might be lying. He seemed very convinced that Dooku was in fact, a liar. And remember, Dooku did not just tell Obi Wan about the Sith. he requested Obi Wan help him, which given the situation, is just plain outrageous. There's no way Obi would have taken that seriously, it further diminshes the 'seed of doubt.'

Also, the Jedi could not have been that concerned if they go along with the Senate in fighting the war for the next 4 years. That's why it seems the real purpose of the line was to just be a mirror of ESB. Not that there's anything wrong with that. but it would have been nice if it made more sense in the scene at that point.

8. I_am_Darth_NINE

I_am_Darth_NINE Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2002
    darth maul is definitely alot more scary than darth tyrannus, hands down hehe

9. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    DOOKU is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jedi_master_sauron

jedi_master_sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    IMO it depends on what you want to use them to accompilsh. maul's fighting skills were awesome. i see him as little more than a weapon. he was a bold statement from the sith to the jedi, "we're back". therefore he served his purpose. he would have made a great assassin.

dooku is more equipped to spin a web of lies and turn allies aganist each other. but he also has skills with a lightsaber and deep knowledge of the force.

i'd want dooku as my apprentice.

11. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    Here, ill make it very simple:

Darth Maul lost to an Obi-Wan who wasnt even a full jedi yet, and Dooku beat an Obi-Wan that was far more experienced. How, then, can you say that Maul is better than Dooku? Maul is a bad ass, alright, but Dooku is much more powerful and evil. and let me remind you that Dooku has some 30 odd lines in AOTC, plus hes around for a second outing. Maul was limited to one film, and he has 3 lines.

12. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I agree with you completely, except for beong more evil, I dunno, IMO, Dooku is not evil but misguided, he wants to end corruption and make the Repbublic into his own beliefs of how it should be, but he is using the wrong methods to do so.

13. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "And like I said earlier, the seed could not have been that much of a good one since the Jedi had a basic cautionary response to it"

They had a cautionary response but it was a response. Up until that point it would probably never occur to the Jedi that someone in the Republic could be a Sith, even if they saw something suspicious. But now if something happens, they're likely to do something. It's all very subtle but it'll work.

14. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    JEDI MASTER SAURON said: IMO it depends on what you want to use them to accompilsh. maul's fighting skills were awesome. i see him as little more than a weapon. he was a bold statement from the sith to the jedi, "we're back". therefore he served his purpose. he would have made a great assassin.
    dooku is more equipped to spin a web of lies and turn allies aganist each other. but he also has skills with a lightsaber and deep knowledge of the force. "

Well, I think fighting skills are very important for the Sith. One of the two of them have to fight the duels. And I think Maul was really more impressive in that regard. He had an extremely tough task and handled it.
    Dooku is supposedly more "charismatic" but again we never saw his neogtiating and persuasive skills on screen. It's all sort of spoiler/EU content. For that matter we can assume Maul had some type of negoitations and meetings with the Nemoidians when they planned the Naboo seige.

OldB1Jedinite said:Darth Maul lost to an Obi-Wan who wasnt even a full jedi yet, and Dooku beat an Obi-Wan that was far more experienced. How, then, can you say that Maul is better than Dooku? Maul is a bad ass, alright, but Dooku is much more powerful and evil. and let me remind you that Dooku has some 30 odd lines in AOTC, plus hes around for a second outing. Maul was limited to one film, and he has 3 lines.
    This is a great point. But remember, Maul did kill Qui Gon, one of the best of the Jedi swordsman. I think that is very siginificang. He actually got a kill. And again, facing one of the best Jedi swordsman ever and a very good, if not the best of all padawans, was hard! Dooku was able to face them one at a time thanks to Anakin's foolhardiness. And Anakin was really not a threat.

And did Dooku really have 30 lines? I can barely remember anything past 10.

These are both good arguments. I cannot say that anyone who thinks Dooku is more powerful is wrong. But I think it's debatable and that even if Dooku was better, he was not that much better.

PADME BRA said: They had a cautionary response but it was a response. Up until that point it would probably never occur to the Jedi that someone in the Republic could be a Sith, even if they saw something suspicious. But now if something happens, they're likely to do something. It's all very subtle but it'll work.

Well as said earlier, there are numerous reasons to think a Sith could be working with the Republic if not in the Republic itself. Despite that, are you saying you really think in Ep. III someone is going to remember Dooku's line about the Sith from AOTC? Especially after 4 years of war against him?? I think it's a stretch..

15. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Sure, why not? The Jedi are for lack of a better word, brainwashed into serving the Republic without question. Dooku's statement might be the only thing that would make the Jedi question the Republic even if they found something suspicious. Dooku was a very respected Jedi and many other Jedi might still be slow to believe that he's wrong in what he's doing. I think the Jedi will find something and based on Dooku's suggestion, turn against the Republic. That would allow Palpatine to label them as traitors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.