main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Do you think Disney should make an animated show during the period between ROTJ and TFA?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fruit Pastilles, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically 3 canons. I consider the EU a canon all of its own.

2. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    That is good that you have your own canon. That is what I say that people should do. Yeah for the most part it is its own canon because most of the stories follow a timeline that fits together. There are some stories that stray from those, but nothing major. I just go by Lucasfilm canon because that is what the films are and the films are what I follow the most.

3. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    As far as a new show between ROTJ and TFA, won't happen until the new trilogy is complete. Because if a show of that time period is made now, the new movies stories haven't all been completed yet. That means any material on the show, the movie writers would have to work around that so nothing conflicts with anything. So it would limit the movie writers ability to write a story. Because anything Lucasfilm or Disney makes will be one continuity within their new canon guidelines. So if a show in this era does happen it will most likely happen after episode 9.

spaulagain and CoolyFett like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. So ST canon, EU canon and own personal canon. Though with that last one you could not have everything from either canon or mix material from the original two options.
    Pretty crazy times.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah man go nuts with it! It is all there to enjoyed no matter what status it is considered.

CoolyFett and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Source: The Essential Reader's Companion (October 2, 2012)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Bingo.

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I think Dj Andy is right, they have to complete the disney movies first, then do a show based on that era. They do go a step further than TCW and Rebels and make the show based between all 3 movies. Half the series could be between the 1st and 2nd movie, the other half of the series based between the 2nd and 3rd films of the Disney movies. Win win for all fans of the new disney era.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Making one canon is a stupid Idea. Its too many great authors and story tellers to have one version of Han Solo or one version Obi Wan Kenobi. They are many Superman, Batman, Spider Man, X men stories told. You cant expect fans to embrace EVERYTHING Star Wars, its just not going to happen. After Disney does their first trilogy, 20 to 30 years later they will do another, then another...every trilogy will feature new characters, new heroes and villians. Fan favorites will either age out or die off and we never see them again. Why do you think so many old people like Rebels? They have hope they may see Han, Chewy, Leia, Tarkin, Lando, etc. Look at fans who didnt like the new trailer because they didnt see Luke Leia and Han. People want Han Luke and Leia over and over and over again. The new big 3 will be for virgin fans. While the older fans will reject them like they did the PT big 3.

10. spaulagain

spaulagain Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2014
    That's not why people rejected the prequel trilogy (IMO). They rejected it because it was poorly executed. Too much CGI and a horrible script.

I personally like the prequel trilogy's story, characters, and action. In fact, I think the movies would have been on par with the OT had the other factors lived up to expectations. And I've been an OT fan for 25-30 years.

I think its fine if 40 years from now more stuff comes out. As long as it isn't recycled characters rebooted. That works in Star Trek because it's an actual SciFi. But Star Wars is a fantasy space opera whose characters stories are the core element of the series.

If EU conflicts with anything in the same timeline as the character stories created by Lucasfilm, then I would ignore the EU there. To me there can only be one version of Luke's life, etc.

11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Should? I don't know, but I'm sure they will in the next 5-10 years.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I am so looking forward to when we have, not only OT vs PT discussions in every thread not dedicated to it, but OT vs PT vs ST discussions in every thread not dedicated to it ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    2019 cant come soon enough.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    OT vs PT vs ST debate will be like Civilization V when everyone has nuclear weapons.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Bomb head shot.

16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Applicable to this:

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No it is very true to that

18. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    But there are still continuity issues in the EU that needed to be worked out, since that couldn't happen and to make the future of Star Wars different from what fans from the past decades have been reading, we establish a new canon to make everything balanced to the force. Because if it's based on EU stories, it'll just be a book or comic adaptation, not truly a Star Wars film. Plus, Chewbacca never really died during the Yuzhan Vong War so he'll be with the guys in the new trilogy. Plus those who will stick with the EU will just miss Chewbacca. He's one of Star Wars signature icons besides Darth Vader, the Droids, the Stormtroopers, and Boba Fett.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think spinoff movies are the top priority. Another top notch TCW/Rebels-like animated series would cost money and divert resources, even if its successful it has to exceed their cost not just make its money back inorder to be a profit.

I was reading up Lucas' early Episode I draft, it was far better written, lots of character and atmosphere. Goes into the politics of the Republic, and touches of social issues:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/thebeginning.html

I think he either gave up too soon as he figured he'd need these movies to be 4-6 hours long or a series of 6 more movies not fit them into 3 movies and he wanted the end focus solely around Anakin. The eventual movie and PT series relied on a very poor scripts, over reliance on technology, a pace and edit that sacrificed actual storytelling and character build up. TCW was as much to fix the PT as it was to expand upon and be its own thing.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

When did he write his first draft for TPM

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd actually prefer the spin-offs to be animated.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think he started to write it in 1994.

23. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Much earlier than that. In 1976, Lucas told Hamill that four trilogies were planned, and by 1980, Lucas said that he already had 12-page outlines for each of the next seven movies after ESB.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Lucas has said a lot of things.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, but he didn't - this much is pretty well known.
    He started writing Episode I in 1994. This is known - look at the extras on the TPM DVD.

jabberwalkie likes this.