main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Disney will change the SW Universe?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Sith_Kingpin, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Kingpin

Sith_Kingpin Jedi Padawan

Feb 4, 2013
    It's going to be a sequel for sure, but will it follow the story lines that the novels of Luke Skywalker and his family have after the OT? Or, will it be a completely new Universe with brand new characters?

I'm also intrigued to see how they manage the limits of the Force. For example, in the cartoons and movies, most Force Sensitives use basic moves like Force Jump, Force Push, Force Lightning etc... but in the novels, video games and comics, people can do godlike things with the Force, so I wonder if Disney will utilize the EU themes and use CGI to update the Force in a way?

It's going to be interesting for sure. I'm not sure whether I want it rehashed I.E. Republic vs Sith, but I do want them involved, just not like how most novels and video games have the good vs evil plot. Anyway, what do you want to see in the new movie? How would you like certain aspects of the SW Universe portrayed?

Mav Edit: This topic belongs in the EU & E7 thread where it is being/has been discussed at length.

2. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I'm actually more afraid they won't change anything and stick to a formula.... Like how the PT had to desperately co-opt images and callbacks to the OT, such as the class of younglings with blackout helmets and target drones.

As for the EU, I expect it to be lightly considered but stepped on like a door mat. As Lucas did with the PT. He stuck whasser-name the bounty hunter in the Pod Race and mentioned master Voss but completely stepped all over the Stormtrooper origin, the Mandalorians, et al.

fett 4 and KevinM1 like this.
  3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    First, we already have a thread devoted to the issue of the use of the Expanded Universe in the ST, and in any case, they've already stated publicly that this story will be an original story that will NOT follow any of the stories seen in the EU. Second, we already have a thread or ten devoted to the issue of whether Disney will change Star Wars.

4. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In under the lock. :)

I think LFL has a history of only just barely even acknowledging the EU. As it is still LFL making the movie, I speculate that , yes, the EU story lines will be changed.

LawJedi likes this.
  5. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Disney will let Lucasfilm do its thing as long there is a substantial profit. There will be Disney/Star Wars cross-overs, but it will probably be one way: ie Star Wars to Disney entities and not Disney to Star Wars. that is to say something like Mickey mouse (or insert other Disney character here) showing up in the ST or one of the spin-offs.

OT: About the EU, TPTB have already said this will be an original story, so no EU stories will be used in the ST. The huge difference between the present (with the ST) and earlier (with the OT and moreso the PT) is that there never was an EU to speak of with regards to the OT/PT, so there was nothing to trample on when it came to the EU. I am one to believe that TPTB can use EU characters and still not hamper the ST being a completely original story and also not trample on the EU. When I say EU, I always mean the novels, and I know the EU encompasses all the Star Wars media (books, games, comics, etc.), but I will never be able to wrap my brain around Emperor clones, the idea is preposterous in my mind. The fact that it exists in the comics bugs me. I'll reiterate that I think TPTB can use Jaina and Ben (and other EU characters) and not be tied to working their ST story around the EU, but rather shape the EU going forth beginning with Episode VII.

6. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Disney will respect the EU for the most part. They will do things slightly different than GL did however, so don't expect the exact same formula, they might break some rules.

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Actually, all they said is it will be an original story. There has yet to be a clarification on if any of the EU will remain as canon. I'm not syaing they won;t throw it all out, but saying they [plan for an original story is far form proof. if an original story means no old threads form the books, then that would mean this trilogy would also not be able to have any connections to the other films. All we can say for certain on what they mean by an original story is that they will not be adapting a specific Star Wars novel that is already in existence. My personal preference? I really don't care. I like the EU, but I won't be crying over it if they throw it all away.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  8. Sith_Kingpin

Sith_Kingpin Jedi Padawan

Feb 4, 2013
    Some very valid points. Like some of you, I like EU a lot, but George Lucas isn't a big fan of it, and he's going to be a writing consultant for the ST, which could mean the Skywalker family are left as he believes it ended after the OT. It will be interesting to see what route they go down, though. Can you see any old characters coming back? Maybe some bounty hunters from Coruscant Underworld? Or some Jedi who survived Order 66? Anyway, like you all, I'm looking forward to this movie so much, and I hope it's at least on par with the OT in terms of plot and quality.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think they are going to consider themselves restrained in any way by the EU. They will tell whatever story they want to tell, and if that means they contradict the EU that is what they will do. I believe that to be the right approach.

yodasbum and KilroyMcFadden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.