main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do You think G.L. has dug himself into a very big hole?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by yodaschum, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    With the panning and dissapointment of Episode I, and his inability to convey key plot points with that installment. The improved but below standard Episode II. GL now has to pull something so gigantic out of his hat that I doubt that he can do it. He has so many un-resolved issues to explain, so many plot points to tie to up, whilst at the same time he has to make the film as good as possible. I doubt wether he can do it. When Episode III is over, do you think that he will still have his credibilty intact?

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    George Lucas may have a lot on his hands with Episode 3, but I am confident he can do it. Just you wait and see, and if he doesn't, You can call me stupid in three years time! 8-}

3. Master_Grover

Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    Everything is going as he has planned.

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    not really.

he'll be ready in 3 years.
    let's see if he can pull it off - otherwise, we can all tell him he blew it and start appreciating the EU more 8-}

5. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I'd call it a crater rather than a hole.

IMO it's not possible to resolve all the issues in EP3 and still make a quality film.

Fortunately for me I'm a fan of the EU so it will not be a problem.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Yes.

But I also believe he can get himself out of the hole.

Nevertheless, man, that's a hole I wouldn't wanna be in.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I do not agree. i do not think he dug any hole. He knows what he is doing. IF you are disappointed with the films that is fine but he is doing this the way he wants. I am so happy with what he did with the first too. Went way past my expectations so I believe he will do it again for EPIII

8. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    What unresolved points do you think are problematic? Your original post is only clear on how you've received the first two films but lacks specifics.

I would also recommend that you not bother seeing Episode III if AOTC was merely "improved but below standard". You'll just be sorely disappointed yet again and everybody else on these boards will hear about it. Again. [face_plain]

9. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    I don't think he's in a hole. I don't think TPM or AOTC were substandard at all. I don't enjoy them as much as the original trilogy but I don't enjoy any other films as much as I enjoy them.

10. Master_Grover

Aug 22, 2002
    I mean really, sometimes you guys treat GL like hes a film student. Hes pro, he knows how he wants it.

Lets cover all possibilities now Do you think a number will stop GL from telling his story? If he found himself in that situation(however unlikely it may be), hed go slow with EP3, explain some plot points, and make another episode after it. Bump it all up. ANH would be EP5, ESB would be 6 etc.

Saga in tact no matter what :D

11. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I think it's funny how everyone is convinced GL has such limited foresight.

I can say with complete honesty that I am not worried at all.

12. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    No, I think he has set up a really great final chapter to the PT. As for credibility, that is a personal thing. Take for example Signs. There are those who will put up with another M.Night movie and those who wont.

Episode II serves up to Epi 3 which could become the best SW movie ever. Considering that Epi 2 owns that title to some people already, that is a tall order. May I add that it seems to me George is much more relaxed nowadays than before. The movie should be great.

Isurus

13. Dark_Lord932

Dark_Lord932 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2002
    Yes, He can pull it off. It's not all that hard to do...

14. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    I just feel there is so much going on with Fall of Anakin, Rise Of the Empire, Death Of Padme, Purge of The Jedi, Destruction Of the Republic, Birth Of Luke/Leia (and I'm sure there's is more than that). The OT was easier to bring to life - the story was simpler. The PT is very dense plot wise, and I think in TPM he struggled some what because the story overwhelmed him, he failed to bring it all to the screen in a totally satisfactory manner, which, unless you were a hardcore fan of the series, left people confused. Well its not going to get any easier. Good luck to him.

The Prequels are HARD, HARD, HARD. No wonder he had to wait for the technology to do them.

15. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    We don't necessarily know Padme will die yet. Besides, he did a heck of a lot in E2, discovering the clone army, starting the clone war, marrying Anakin and Padme, killing Shmi, etc. He can most definitely do it, and I'm looking forward to what I think might just be the best episode of the saga.

16. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    maybe george should hire you to supervise him in the making of his movies....so he does them right. lmao george knows what hes doing leave him alone.

17. macoco

macoco Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2000
    I think the prequels are each superior individually to all 3 originals combined. A New Hope is better than esb and rotj combined, and the prequels are superior to it. Lucas hasn't dug his hole, he has reached maturity as a filmmaker, and the two existing prequels are incredibly complex nuanced works. They are OBVIOUSLY superior to the originals from an artistic point of view...they have incredible depth and scope.

III is bound to be the greatest ever. And all y'all that hate the prequels will hate it most. You're not going to like it one bit. Forget about it, GL will not restore your faith. You'll be getting more of the same things that you hate about I & II.

Please don't be there on opening night, because the sound of you groaning will most definitely detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. Scenes in AOTC that bring tears to my eyes were met with groans on opening night. PLEASE stay away from the theatre cuz I know you're gonna hate it, and I don't want to deal with your rude groans ruining my night.

18. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    I'll now be taking bets as to how long people think this thread will last. 8-}

19. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Please don't be there on opening night, because the sound of you groaning will most definitely detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. Scenes in AOTC that bring tears to my eyes were met with groans on opening night. PLEASE stay away from the theatre cuz I know you're gonna hate it, and I don't want to deal with your rude groans ruining my night.

You don't have to repeat yourself 4 times, I get the message.

About the PT - I was only making an observation, not criticising. You obviously think Ep3 is going to be a doddle then do you?

20. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    I think that the tone to your original post may have been interpreted as being critical.

To honestly answer your inquiry, I think that the important story elements will come together nicely. I think that GL, along with an assist from Jonathan Hales, is going to make this THE episode that people will be talking about and I mean that in a good way. :)

I try to be careful about overhyping myself and letting my expectations get carried away for any movie though.

21. Master_Grover

Aug 22, 2002
    I think the prequels are each superior individually to all 3 originals combined.

Wow. I'm ecstatic about the prequels, but ROTJ is my fav. Ive never heard that one. Strong PT fans are good!

22. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    I want Episode III to be good too. As a matter of fact I was one of the few people who clapped at the end of AOTC on opening night at my local cinema. The fact is, he might isolate the films from mainstream audiences even more with Episode III. I'm talking about the real world here, i.e non Star Wars nerds (thats what we are) who aren't going to know what the hell is going on.

23. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    The fact is, he might isolate the films from mainstream audiences even more with Episode III. I'm talking about the real world here, i.e non Star Wars nerds (thats what we are) who aren't going to know what the hell is going on.

Actually, I've always felt that the SW films have been quite accessible and work on a number of levels so that the casual moviegoer can enjoy them just as much as someone dressed up in a Jedi costume sitting beside them.

24. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    It does seem like he has a lot to cover, but I trust Lucas. He's not dumb, he knows what he needs to do and I'm sure he would have added more to Episodes I and II if he thought that Episode III needed it.

25. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I doubt that the people who were disappointed with TPM and AotC are going to be won over by Episode III.

When TPM failed to meet their expectations, they started looking forward to Episode II to make up for it "failures" and redeem Lucas. Now they're looking forward to Episode III to be this great big near-religious experience that will bring back the magic of the OT and make the whole PT worthwhile.

It's going to be just another victim of inflated expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.