main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do You think G.L. has dug himself into a very big hole?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by yodaschum, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    OH YES! It's more of a super-nova than a hole.He is ice skating up hill with these films.He has always said that he had a plan for the prequels so if he did they should all be written by now,BUT as we know that is not the case. I really hope that E III clears up all the plot holes that he has now created like:- Obi Wan saying "I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi." and why Qui Gon wasn't mentioned at all.Lucas has not thought this out. Do you not think that Padme having C-3PO as her assistant and translator in the palace in TPM would have worked alot better than Anakin building him on Tatooine.That would explain how he knows artoo and also it would have meant that we did not need that superfluous introduction scene in TPM.

So there!!!!

2. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    With the panning and dissapointment of Episode I, and his inability to convey key plot points with that installment. The improved but below standard Episode II. GL now has to pull something so gigantic out of his hat that I doubt that he can do it. He has so many un-resolved issues to explain, so many plot points to tie to up, whilst at the same time he has to make the film as good as possible. I doubt wether he can do it. When Episode III is over, do you think that he will still have his credibilty intact?

Im 100% sure that he can pull it of..I have no doubt in GL ;) ;) ;) ;)

3. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I think that when you say that GL has to have the Fall of Anakin, Rise Of the Empire, Death Of Padme, Purge of The Jedi, Destruction Of the Republic, Birth Of Luke/Leia, it is not as hard as one might think. How long does it take for someone to die? (Even if she does...) the birth will be a quick part of the movie, the the jedi purge, Palpy will just say something like, "We must kill all the jedi" and hire some people to do it. It's not like GL gonna show all the jedi dying. The fall of the republic and the rise of the Empire can happen in one scene, with Palpy declaring himself emperor in front of the senate. The rest of the movie can be used for the fall of Anakin. It's not that complex.

4. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    I think that when you say that GL has to have the Fall of Anakin, Rise Of the Empire, Death Of Padme, Purge of The Jedi, Destruction Of the Republic, Birth Of Luke/Leia, it is not as hard as one might think. How long does it take for someone to die? (Even if she does...) the birth will be a quick part of the movie, the the jedi purge, Palpy will just say something like, "We must kill all the jedi" and hire some people to do it. It's not like GL gonna show all the jedi dying. The fall of the republic and the rise of the Empire can happen in one scene, with Palpy declaring himself emperor in front of the senate. The rest of the movie can be used for the fall of Anakin. It's not that complex.

Im with you on that ;) ;) ;) ;) Allthough a lot of things is going to happen,Im sure that George will make it simple & not to complex.

5. KRISTEN

KRISTEN Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001

I concur with you GreenWrinklyYoda! GL knows what he's doing. I mean he is the Master Jedi of Star Wars! and I loved TPM and AOTC! In fact AOTC is now my second fav. in the series, and I think Ep III will be the best in the series.

6. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    Yep,one bid ol' hole!

But if we give him a ladder,he can get out again!

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The reason that so much is going on in TPM and especially AOTC is that it makes it possible for GL to simplify EpIII. There isn´t really much left to tell, if you think about it.

8. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Dangerous and disturbing you people are! there is alot to clear up in E III and you are dissulusioned if you think that E III will be simple. IF you watch all the films PROPERLY then you will see that Lucas has to do ALOT in E III to tie everything together.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer !!!!

bye!!

9. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    If I were a betting man, and as I stated several pages up on this thread, I would bet that GL will wrap things up nicely.

Although, if one ventures into the quagmire of EU and if one has a blurred sense of what needs to be explained, than to those persons, GL is already in the belly of the Sarlac playing Sabacc with Boba.

. . . whoops, I forgot that the blast from a Thermal detonator that failed to kill Boda surely was able to kill the Sarlac and open a hole for the unscathed Boba to climb out of . . . (Nuts! Another loose end for GL to tie up!)

:p

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    These are the most important things that I believe will be explained:

1. How the Separatists are defeated
    2. How the Jedi order becomes No 1 on every citizen´s hitlist
    3. How the Jedi are purged
    4. How Palpatine becomes Emperor
    5. How Anakin turns to the dark side
    6. How Anakin/Vader becomes more machine than man
    7. How a Jedi can live on after death
    8. How Luke and Leia are brought to Tatooine and Alderaan respectively

This could all be done in an hour, but then GL will throw in a couple of heroic deeds and noble sacrifices, so it will stay at about 124 minutes ;)

11. Twin_of_Yoda

Twin_of_Yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    if it's something i'm shure at it's this: if it's someone that can do take this challinge and make it.. its GL! :D:D

12. jdini76

jdini76 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2002
    This is a very long thread, so I couldn't read it all. I do want to put in my opinion. If it has been touched upon already I apolagize.

I think GL has a very good vision of what he wants to do, but I do agree he is having trouble portraying that onto the screen. I think he should hand over the directing reigns to someone else like he did for ESB and ROTJ. Of course he would be executive producer and still have a major "influence" as to what is going on, but I think it would add another perspective to the story.

I wouldn't say he is in a hole. Although I don't really know what you mean by it. Did you ever think he may not clear up all the plots in the end? He might want to leave some stuff to the imagination.

13. fancy2402

fancy2402 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2002
    yes, I agree. I think he will cover lots of issues, but eventually leave a few minor thoughts to the imagination. I mean, he thought up all this stuff, I think he'll be able to bring everything to a conclusion.

14. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Lucas

" YOU CAN DO IT" !

15. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    I think someone above said:

"If we give him a ladder, he can get out of the hole."

Question: Do we really want to give him a ladder?

I agree with the "minority". GL has alot to tie up. Yeah he is a great storyteller but it is not conveyed in the last two films. They are jumbled, edited poorly and the acting (love story) is miserable.

Have GL stay on as producer, exec producer, screenplay, story, special effects guru....whatever. Just don't have him direct it.

Don't get me wrong, I liked all the SW films but the last two could have been soooooo much better. We are left to wonder what might have been if GL had surrendered the directors chair.

16. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    I thought so for a while, but then I remembered an episode of "Batman: The Animated Series" (which, by the way, is the definative version of Batman IMO). It was a two part episode dealing with how Harvey Dent became the villian Two-Face. Dent was a district attorney, a good man and a friend of Bruce Wayne's, who fell to his own personal demons, and a physical deformity was the final straw that pushed him over the edge. It actually parallels Anakin's fall quite closely. Anyway, they managed to accomplish this, very convincingly and very movingly, in a pretty short period of time(two half hour episodes, minus commercials maybe 50 mins). Episode 3 will be at least three times that long. So I don't doubt that they have plenty of time left to tell a good story.

17. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    GL has nothing to worry about, just stop for a minute and think about all the loose ends at the end of TESB and jump foreward to the end of ROTJ without seeing the rest of ROTJ and you all have to admit he covered a hell of a lot of story and still had time to slow down (almost too much) at the introduction of the Ewoks.

Oh he can and will pull it off.

18. Darth-CrOaT

Darth-CrOaT Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Ekonobi-
    I do not agree. i do not think he dug any hole. He knows what he is doing. IF you are disappointed with the films that is fine but he is doing this the way he wants. I am so happy with what he did with the first too. Went way past my expectations so I believe he will do it again for EPIII

Now you my friend said it all........
    i am also VERY proud of what george did with EP1 and EP2... they both made me go see them both in the theaters 10 times each... **no lie** so i am more then happy and proud of for him.

George has always said he was unhappy that he didnt have much flexability with the aliens/characters/props (ex: puppets:cardboard sets) in ep 456...but they were also GREAT movies but now that he does have the ability to create CGI characters... and film digitally... so george can now say "how about this" "make him have horns" "make him fly" "take him out" he has the ability to do so much and he is more then happy for that, so i am happy for him....
    there are so many people against him, and i am glad to see he is putting that behind him....

And of course i think he can make EPIII the "biggest and the baddest movie in the galaxy" hehe ;D *hint....samuel l jackson said that~hehe but he said baddest jedi aside from yoda*
    Good Job George

19. Master_Dubri

Master_Dubri Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2002
    I think its going to be funny when sidious takes off his hood and reveals himself as........dun.....dun........dah........
    George Lucas, the true and supreme ruler of the galaxy.......muahahahahahahahaha......(sorry)

20. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Ha! Why am I not surprised to see the author of a thread of this title? Never fails.

21. ReiKun

ReiKun Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2001
    I think that Lucas will do a very good job with Episode III. Episode 2 was a much better movie (in my opinion) than Episode 1, so I think that hes slowly getting back in the grove with his directing. by Episode 3 he should be in good shape.

22. Quoru

Quoru Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2002
    A similar thread started on 3SA today, though it takes a slightly different focus.

I definetly think GL has dug himself a whole, but the failure of EPI and problems in EP2 are symptoms of a larger problem. He, and the fans too, have become far too caught up in minor and insignificant details and have forgotten what was so attractive about the movies in the first place.

Personally, I'm a big believer in Joseph Campbell and the big mythological undertones in the series. I feel strongly the GL lost some of his focus after Campbell died in '87. Campbell and Lucas were good friends, and I find it very hard to believe that he had no hand in the scripts.

Can GL dig himself out of this hole in episode three? Absolutely. Will he? No. He're the problem, once you reach a certain level of fame and wealth even asking for help is a sign of weakness. GL is the god of special effects, and making things look good. However, on a purely intellectual level (his writing and his understanding of the Campbellian monomyth which was the basis of the OT). Basically, I think episode 3 has the potential to be by far the best movie in the series, and probably the best sci fi film of all time. Sadly, I don't think it will be, but I pray GL proves me wrong.

23. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Quoru, you bring up some good points about the downfall of Campbellianism in the first two episodes. Whether or not George intended Episodes IV-VI to follow Campbell's theories, they did in so many ways. The first two methods also try to incorporate Campbellian aspects, but it seems much more forced to me. I suspect this is what you were alluding to when you said you didn't think George could pull it off in Ep. III?

Me? I'm going to hold out hope that somehow George digs his way out of the giant hole he's dug for himself. If he does, I think Ep. III will be one of the best SW films, yet!

24. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I dreamed about seeing EpIII last night. It had nothing to do with Star Wars whatsoever! :_|

25. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Actually Episode 1 did convey key plot elements, most people just don't know where they are. (Which I think is most likely as GL planned) And Episode 2 I thought was much better then Episode 1, it layed the scene very well for Episode 3. People simply compare the new trilogy to the old, which is idiotic, it is meant to be very different, and this is all simply Act 1 of a huge play, the first act is never as good as the second.

I think he can and will pull off Ep. 3 very well, and I think that once its done people who bashed Eps 1 & 2 will realize that they both laid plot elements almost perfectly, and will look at them again with a much better appreciation then before

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.