main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do You think G.L. has dug himself into a very big hole?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by yodaschum, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
  2. DodeFett1

DodeFett1 Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2002
    Lucas knows what he has to do... did anyone ever think he was saving the big stuff for the end? look at tpm not bad but not his best work, and then aotc was 100x better than tpm and a great star wars movie. Did anyone even notice how many more star war tie ins there are in aotc? from the dvd itself to the settle drops the pt is becoming more and more star wars. Ep3 will be awesome and lucas is gonna go all out and this time he wont hold back. He will do what it takes to tell his story, longer if necessary. This movie is gonna be what star war was to everyone who saw the originals when they first came out. This movie will tie in everything and exceed expectations

3. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I really hope that E III clears up all the plot holes that he has now created like:- Obi Wan saying "I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi."

Uh... this did happen. He told yoda he would train Anakin even without the Councils permission. Watch that Scene in TPM again where he is talking to Yoda at the end and listen to Obi-Wan. He does take it upon himself to train Anakin.

4. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    1. How the Separatists are defeated
    That we will see

2. How the Jedi order becomes No 1 on every citizen´s hitlist
    I think we will see

3. How the Jedi are purged
    I think we will see the beginnings of the purge not the whole purge. You may be disappoint if you think we will see the whole purge.

4. How Palpatine becomes Emperor
    That I think we will see

5. How Anakin turns to the dark side
    Yes to this

6. How Anakin/Vader becomes more machine than man We start to see this already. But we know from the OT how much of a machine he is.
    7. How a Jedi can live on after death
    That is a godd question

8. How Luke and Leia are brought to Tatooine and Alderaan respectively
    I thinkwe will

5. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    I'm only mentioning critics cuz someone else mentioned them as a measure of a films popularity. I think it was EKenobi.

That is totally wrong! I am no way basing a films poularity by critics. I think that is you Philip023. I was trying to tell you that the PT is not "Universally disliked". I have proved that it was not "universally disliked" and you are just blind by it. I do not care that 64% of the PT is less then the 80% of the OT. No kidding. That is not my point. My point is that 64% shows that the majority liked AOTC. Which proves you wrong AGAIN!!!YOU are the one that is saying your opinion is closer to what the critics say. YOU are the one that is measuring it by what the critics say. You my friend need to get off you high horse and stop telling people their arguments need work. Because yours is so full of wholes and contradictions.

6. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Darth-CrOaT

Thanks for the props. I agree with you agreeing with me. ;)

7. Valiant_Starlight

Valiant_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2003
    As with any piece of the Star Wars universe, we(along with critics) will continue to analyze and find weak and strong points. After twenty years, Luca has to live up to impossible standards.

I believe that the only problem with the PT so far has been annoying characters in TPM and a lack of fun dialogue in AOTC. I think they'll come up with something big for Episode III. If not, we'll have to either rely on the EU or haunt GL for another 3 movies.

8. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    There are so many many issues that have been discussed across these forums for years now, so much conjecture and expectation that GL does have a big task on his hands, but be realistic. He's been working on the PT for... well, who knows how long, that there's no way this film is not going to fulfil what it is meant to.

However, as with all aspects of life, some people have far too an insular view of things, and have built up their own expectations in wonderful forums such as this. It is these people who have dug the hole and should hold themselves responsible if they emerge from the cinema after EpIII disappointed in what they've seen. I'm not criticising these people, they help to make the build up so exciting, but they need to maintain the right perspective.

IMHO those who dislike TPM need to remember that it is very much about the roots of Star Wars (as well as introducing the saga to a new generation) so to complain about the lack of direct plot links with the rest of the saga is missing the point.

With regards to EpIII (not saying that these defo will or will not happen):
    - I don't expect to see Sidious 'reveal' himself as Palpatine.
    - The way jedi retain presence after death may be eluded to but not entirely explained. I hope so anyway, otherwise it would take away the WOW factor in the OT.
    - I don't think we'll see Padme die.
    - We won't see Dagobah.

As for the rest, only GL and the gang (plus some 3SA possibly) knows, but I'm just looking forward to the ride.

9. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    I think all of those can be easily explained. Pablo Hidalgo likened his reading of the Episode III script to ticking off a checklist of "things that need to be explained". Everything was checked off, and it wasn't overdone. Frankly if these supposed inconsistencies between the prequels and OT didn't exsist the PT would be pretty boring. Everything would be so linear, like the whole plot could be told in one movie. For an entire trilogy there needs to be a certian amount of complexity. You can't just say that things wont fit without seeing Episode III. Leave the fanboy whining 'till after the release of the movie.

10. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Leave the fanboy whining 'till after the release of the movie.

I think there will always be those who will never like the Prequels or even the "Special Edition" of the OT.

Rather than the immediate reaction, I am more curious as to what the long term opinion is of the entire trilogy. After all, from what I have been hearing, the original Star Wars trilogy never really got rave reviews. 10 or 15 years from now, I would like to see how people view Star Wars overall.

11. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Whether you like the films or not, the PT or the OT, Special Edition or original cuts, you have to give Lucas credit for having the guts to tell a linear story in 6 parts without deviating from the original intent of the story. There's no fancy upgrading of Matrix-like fighting from film to film, no one-upping of this or that. It flows well and tells a cohesive story. The PT is more flawed than the OT, but the grand scope of a 6 film saga has never been attempted before and probably never will again.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hmm...I agree with some of your assessment, storm, but to say that Lucas doesn't try to one-up himself I think is pushing it.

ANH we have awesome lightsabers and ships flying around.

ESB we get the AT-ATs, a flight thru an asteroid field, and probably the best duel of the entire Saga. And Lando.

ROTJ we get a kick-butt Luke, the coolest (IMHO) space battle, and The Throne Room. And the Ewoks.

TPM we get the podrace and the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Darth Maul duels. And Jar-Jar.

AOTC we get the last Reel, particularly the Yoda/Dooku duel, the Coruscant chase and the seismic charges. And the love scenes.

What will Episode III have in store for us? Highs higher than the other five films? Lows lower than the Ewoks or Jar-Jar? 8-}

I think Lucas constantly is trying to push the boundaries, and it's one reason why SW succeeds on so many levels (and sometimes why it fails).

13. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    OK, I agree with that. I guess what I meant is that he pushes the technology, and expands the scope of the films, but is careful not to make the next film make the previous one look stupid. There is some unavoidable dating of the OT by the PT, but in general the look and feel are consistent. Right down to costumes and hair. He has made it more of a period piece than a trendy piece. The only bit of the OT that really looks odd today is General Madine's Aquanet Bowl Haircut in ROTJ. Lucas has kept the flow of the costumes, music, dialogue, and everything about the films believable enough to make it work. To do that over a period of 30 years is incredible. What other director would INTENTIONALLY try to make a film from 2005 look like a film from 1977. That is bold.

I am very critical of his work, and I nitpick him to death. But his vision and drive are unmatched by anyone else in the film industry. He has stuck to his guns for 30 years, and you have to admire that. His work has inspired me for almost my entire life, and he deserves great thanks for that.

14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Agreed. Thank you, George Lucas! :)

And no, I don't think GL has dug himself into a very big hole.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    With the panning and dissapointment of Episode I, and his inability to convey key plot points with that installment. The improved but below standard Episode II. GL now has to pull something so gigantic out of his hat that I doubt that he can do it.

I disagree with the premise. I did not find Episode 1 disappointing, nor did I think key plot points were poorly conveyed in Episode 2. So as long as Lucas delivers a film that is as good as any of the other Star Wars films then I will call it a success. That said, those who have become disenchanted with the series of late will most likely not enjoy the third prequel film any more than they enjoyed the first two. If you--and this is speaking generally, not specifically to yodashum--expect Lucas to cater to your particular taste then no doubt you'll be disappointed.

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Since I'm new to the 3NS, I'm gonna go ahead and respond to the initial post in this thead:

GL now has to pull something so gigantic out of his hat that I doubt that he can do it. He has so many un-resolved issues to explain, so many plot points to tie to up, whilst at the same time he has to make the film as good as possible. I doubt wether he can do it. When Episode III is over, do you think that he will still have his credibilty intact?

Hmm...that sounds a lot like ROTJ having to sum up the events that occurred in ESB. He had a lot to cover there too and personally, he pulled it off just fine. With that said, I'm sure he'll be able to pull it off here as well. It's the exact same setup if you think about it.

Also, I have a feeling that Lucas is waiting to give us what we wanted from the Prequels in this last installment. Everything is building up to this particular moment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.