Do you think Hayden Christensen was the right character to portray anakin?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by AnakinSkywalkerFan_, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie_Fanboy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm happy Natalie is finally starting to get the respect she deserves as an actress.
    For me, she is the only one who can be Padme. She did her best with what Lucas gave her.

I'll reserve judgment on Hayden until I see ROTS. For now, I'll say that I wanted a more experienced actor to portray Anakin.
  2. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    For now, I'll say that I wanted a more experienced actor to portray Anakin.

He's been in the business since he was eight.
    o_O

:p
  3. angel_of_the_force Jedi Knight

star 3
    i like hayden in other films...

in this one his voice always sounds angry, in odd places too, but i blame this on george lucas, or the screen-writer

same thing with natalie, she is my favorite actress, but there was no feeling in her lines in this movie, but again, georges fault
  4. SWJaggy Jedi Master

star 4
    I strongly believe he was the right person for the job. Hayden has that sort of edge to him which is what makes Anakin Skywalker who he is. He can be sweet and charming yet evil at the same time. What makes Hayden even more so for the role is that he had experience playing the sort of rebel because of his role as Scott on Higher Ground.
  5. Gemini9857 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes. I think he does a really good job as Anakin.
  6. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 5
    I can't picture anyone else in the role of Anakin.
  7. Jedi-Master_Sledge Jedi Padawan

Okay, now I know this is gonna get flamed, so I'll put on the asbestos suit before I post.

Okay, now here is my 2 cents on the topic, and the arguments that have been brought up so far.

1) Do you think Hayden Christensen was the right character to portray Anakin? Yes and No. Here are my reason, and I have several. First, why I said yes. By looking at his work in life as a house, as a wrekless, revolting teenager, he was great. He was able to hold his own against an actor like Kevin Kline, a man who redefined the role of Hamlet. I was awestruck after seeing this film. Hayden proved himself to me 100 times over. Now here is the funny thing, I didn't see life as a house until AFTER I saw AOTC. I walked away thinking to myself "Why wasn't he better in Starwars?" and I think the worst part of it is, we'll never know unless we get to getinsode of his head, or see 24/7/365 footage of what it was like being given this role.

Now why I said no. Hayden is a good actor as I said before. But he always seemed to be lacking something in the film at the moment. Now some of his stuff was very real. The anger he had when he came back to the Lars farm with the body of his mother was very real, but he was missing the one thing I think alot of people wanted see, and that was the lack of fear he had, and the almost joy he got from killing the tusken's. He was scared, and almost in tears when he tells Padame that he killed them all. But you never do get the true feeling that he was happy about it. I don't think anikin cares about killing if it is someone or something he sees as being on the other side of what he sees as good. Hence the willingness to kill Dooku. But that is just my opinion as far as the whole character choice of killing goes.

Another reason for my yes and no answer is because, as far as mainstream actors in that age group go, he is the best choice. I mean, Lucas could have tried contracting someone like Toby Maguire, but hes best at the geeky character actors. There are several other mainstream young male actors, but none of them have the real previous credits that show that they could have handled the tole like him. But this doesn't mean that they couldn't have tried to find some unknowns, which I really feel is what has left a bad taste in the mouth of us Starwars fans who are also actors. The Original Trilogy featured known actors in supporting a lead parts, but also mixed in were unknows as well. Harason Ford was a carpenter at the time, he had acting experience, but he was a carpenter for a living at the time. And the movie was a hit, so I don't get why he didn't go that route again.

Now onto the comments that have been posted about why he was the way he was in the film.

People have said he did the best he could with the script he was given. that may be true, but no one questioned the performance of Ewan McGregor, or Sam Jackson. And Christopher Lee was only questioned because of his age. So they were able to work with a bad script, if that is the reason.

The comment about being nominated for awards. Award nominations are kind of give and take. Some people are nominated because of who they are, and some are truley nomionated for performance. Award Shows are very political. I mean, if you were to go by awards, you would be saying the Denzel Washington is a better actor then Morgan Freeman. Or, like was stated earlier, Peter Jackson is a better director then George Lucas, (Remember, peter jackson directed meet the feebles). I think Acadmey Awards are just to show who you are, not how good you are. Now SAG and Golden Globes I think are based on actual performance, but now I have wandered off topic. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Jedi-Master_Sledge
  8. Ana_Labris Jedi Master

star 4
    But you never do get the true feeling that he was happy about it.

See, that's the whole porblem with your argument. It's not in Anakin's character to like it yet. Don't forget he's a more or less innocent person before that, sure, he's killed, but it's his job as a Jedi Padawan. We don't see him kill anyone before the Tusken incident.. anyways I can go on about this.. but just read some of the previous threads about Anakin or listen to GL's commentary on that scene on the DVD.

The comment about being nominated for awards. Award nominations are kind of give and take. Some people are nominated because of who they are, and some are truley nomionated for performance. Award Shows are very political. I mean, if you were to go by awards, you would be saying the Denzel Washington is a better actor then Morgan Freeman. Or, like was stated earlier, Peter Jackson is a better director then George Lucas, (Remember, peter jackson directed meet the feebles). I think Acadmey Awards are just to show who you are, not how good you are. Now SAG and Golden Globes I think are based on actual performance, but now I have wandered off topic. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

This I have to agree with. 100%!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.