main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Indy will "pass the hat" on to Mutt?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jp-30, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theraider.net/films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/058.jpg]

And, do you think he should pass the hat on?

Me, I think Indiana will give Mutt the fedora at he end of Crystal Skull, but I really hope he doesn't. Too much 'finality' if he does, and Dr Jones should never "retire" in the minds of the audience.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well Indy has gone through a couple of fedoras before so I don't see why he couldn't give one to Mutt and get a new one for himself. If Indy does put his hat on Mutt's head it would be more of a rite of passage for Mutt then a "passing of the torch" by Indy.

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I guess the Rite of Passage is more stomachable than a Passing the Torch.

Even though the Fedora is a different prop in the various movies, I have always been under the impression it's always meant to be the same hat throughout the 3 movies, the one given to Indy as a kid by the treasure hunter in the Last Crusade prologue.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, it does seem that way from the films. I don't exactly recall, but perhaps it's different in the books and/or show. Still, I'd give the film implications precedence there. Also, my own childhood declaration that Indiana Jones was about 'a cowboy who was trying to keep his hat on, and he keeps trying and trying' ;)

So yeah, I'm not sure how it would sit with me. Might depend on how much I like Mutt. Still, it would take a lot for me to accept Indy hanging up his spurs.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    No, its not the same hat, actually. At the end of the Raiders novel Indy complains that the expedition to recover the Ark cost him favorite hat, in addition to the museum being denied the opportunity to study the Ark.

As for the idea of Indy passing the torch, I agree with solojones. It depends on how likeable Shia's character is and how good a job he does. They sort of tried to do something similar with Bruce Willis and Justin Long in Die Hard 4 and it didn't really work very well. Their characters were too dissimilar to really relate to each other.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmmmmm. Indy canon debate brewing. ;)

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I can definitely see this happening in the film, I may not like it, but at this point it just seems inevitable.

Then again, I guess it all depends on what was mentioned above about how likable Mutt really is.

8. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I see it inevitably happening, but I question whether it would be this film. I could see Harrison, Steven, George, and Shia cranking out a few more of these, building up the characters, and then maybe killing Indy off in the last film and having him pass the hat on to Mutt, which could set up a tv series for Shia, who is already accustomed to working in television.

9. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Not the hat, no. The whip maybe. Or the messenger bag. Or the revolver. Or the khakis. You, know, since Mutt wears blue jeans.

10. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Harrison Ford is getting too old. He needs to pass the hat on. Whether or not we like it depends upon how well Shia does.

11. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Maybe Indy just chooses a suitable hat to fit Mutt's style while keeping his own 'just a little while longer.'

And Mutt can't take the whip. He'll need to pick his own prop if he's going to walk out of Indy's shadow.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Based on the way some of the Shia shots in the trailer are composed, and Shia's facial expressions, it does "feel" like they're grooming him for bigger and better things.

However, he's a greaser with a motorcycle, and I don't think his background heralds much interest in archaeology, unless it's ignited by the events of this film.

It's a long way to Delhi, anything can happen. Anything goes. [face_skull]

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's actually a good point. Judging from the new scene we see in the TV spot, it appears that Mutt may be a bit careless the main comic relief of the group. I'm not sure how that will pan out if the torch is passed onto him but going by that scene alone, he definitely doesn't seem like the type to live that kind of life.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Then again, there are probably scenes of Indy you could pick out of context and he'd seem too light-hearted or scattered to be a good hero, too ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    No, because it implies a continuation.

Indy films up to now have been self contained stories. If Mutt akes the hat, have it happen 'off screen'.

16. MisterSable

MisterSable Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2008
    Hate to break it to ya...

[image=http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4039/varietystoryhn6.jpg]

17. MisterSable

MisterSable Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2008
    Oh, and... psyche! April Fools!

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'd watch it.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I guessed that...

20. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Either way, there's no way he'll actually wear the hat. Can you imagine LeBoeuf's tiny little chin under that enormous hat? Chubby cheeks just a-glowin' in the shadows. He'd look like a 2-year old.

21. obiwandeannobi

obiwandeannobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2008
    LOL!!! Agreed. I would much prefer to see the hat retired, myself.

22. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    He won't if we go by Young (old) Indy continuity. Maybe he'll give him his right eye.

[image=http://steveandamysly.tannerworld.com/databank/image_youngindianajones_old1.jpg]

23. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    It would just be silly to try and "pass the torch" onto anyone else... Harrison is Indy. I can't see it working in the same way with anyone else.

Plus, Why? What would be the point? To create even more sequels?

I think this should be the end for the Indy flicks, as much as I love them. Unless of course this one sucks, in which case, I'll think Last Crusade should've been the last... :p

D_M_S_L

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know, sadly, right? ;) Indy whores...

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    No. I think Mutt should be his own person and not be an Indy clone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.